• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will the Gunners win the Premiership ever again?

Anzac

Established Member
Fundamentally disagree with a salary cap as being the answer.
IMO it is the root cause to all the corrupt under the table backhanded payments that are the bane of the NRL despite the best efforts of the NRL to legislate for open wages etc.

Anzac

Established Member
yuvken said:
Anzac - do you not see a change recently? You pointed yourself to the forward 3, direct/fast play, system has changed, D's certainly changed - surely we can talk about some changes?
Granted - the status quo "in the big picture" - owner, board, manager - is maintained. But does it necessarily entail the impass you're pointing at (given the recent changes, if indeed they are as deep as I'm suggesting?)

point about money (FP rules; sponsorship deals; salaries; whatever): why not separate this a bit from the essential, football matters, now that one owner reality is here? I know it sounds a bit detached (or naive), but think of your assumptions: a shift is directly related to (insert list of money issues). While an owner can look at his investment, and expected outcome, in a more flexible way (say - why wait for 2014 for such and such deal? why would he care?) if that is what's holding us back, no proiblem to play with the investment time frame the way he wants - all they need to do is fit within the "sustainable" frame (I accept this as a rigid given).

Problem being that IMO we no longer have the luxury of timeframes & 3 CL positions margin for error afforded our policy direction when first put in place.

yuvken

Established Member
Not sure I see how that answers... agree with your take on salsry caps, though. It'd be a bit like the prohibition.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Anzac said:
Fundamentally disagree with a salary cap as being the answer.
IMO it is the root cause to all the corrupt under the table backhanded payments that are the bane of the NRL despite the best efforts of the NRL to legislate for open wages etc.

Fair enough, I can see the potential pitfalls. But then, FFP is still a worse system overall, subject to the same abuses.

yuvken

Established Member
I'm not sure of that. Though it does have problems, and there will be attempts to by-pass/con it.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
The boss is not expecting FFP to make any difference.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2065089/Arsène-Wenger-worried-UEFA-fair-play-rules.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rules.html</a>

yuvken

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
Isn't that what I just said? :lol:
It doesn't necessarily mean it's worse - it means all alternatives are problematic.

The reason is always a pragmatic view. That is also, to my understanding, what the boss means - be it against ideal, legal or whatever.

Djibril

Djibril said:
kofigunner said:
If it had been "in this decade" for example, then I would have given it more thought

well in 2/3years time it's a decade since we last won the league.until then i think city will have established themselves as well as PSG, Malaga and the usual suspects like chelsea, united,spuds etc. etc.

theoretically we're bound to compete on that level for the next 10years at least. but my questions was whether the gunners will win it ever again. the arsenal we know right now, with out a mega rich owner backing us, with the selfsustainable business model, youth players etc. the trend of the PL is showing that this is/will be impossible

Arsène Wenger Arsenal FC said:
"In other countries, you have as well Paris St Germain, Malaga. Once they represent a force together, it will be difficult to fight against"

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2065089/Arsène-Wenger-worried-UEFA-fair-play-rules.html#ixzz1eXxZkM7q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1eXxZkM7q</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2065089/Ars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... 065089/Ars</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;ène-Wenger-worried-UEFA-fair-play-rules.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this thread was stupid,eh?

Irish_Owen

Established Member
I think he means on a political level, rather than on a footballing level. And as for this thread, there are too many variables to take into account, making this whole discussion futile really. Simply because, all are trying to forecast future events, using current circumstances.

For all we know, the premier league could be a thing of the past in fives years time..

Djibril

on a politcal leven then? hmm...connecting the dots...

can't stop megarich clubs from spending obscene amounts of money on players(fee&wages) politically...>...thus having to fight against megarich clubs who spend obscene amounts of money on players(fee&wages) in reality.

conclusion...>no chance for us then

thank you very much for stating the obvious though

Djibril

RE anzac. how much money would be at our disposal if we had paid off the debt already? in other words, how much money does the emirates itself generate?

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Djibril said:

can't stop megarich clubs from spending obscene amounts of money on players(fee&wages) politically...>...thus having to fight against megarich clubs who spend obscene amounts of money on players(fee&wages) in reality.

Mate, clearly you've made you're own ill-informed conclusions, so I'm just going to leave you to it.

Djibril

Irish_Owen said:
Djibril said:

Mate, clearly you've made you're own ill-informed conclusions, so I'm just going to leave you to it.

i don't know what you read into Arsène's quote but he clearly said that it will be harder to compete for anyone trying to live within their means if the FFP rules don't stop city,psg,malaga etc from spending as they did in the past seasons.

you're talking about ill informed conclusions. IIRC you were the one claiming the lobby is wrong about mango,claiming the main forum knows better. how did that work out? and you are strolling from thread to thread trying to impress with ****ty oneliners. get your act together mate

Djibril

yuvken said:
Not sure I see how that answers... agree with your take on salsry caps, though. It'd be a bit like the prohibition.

there has to be a limit somewhere. seriously if there weren't any wages beyond 200 000 pounds A WEEK, there wouldn't be a need for mega rich owners.

it's a vicious cycle and it has to be stopped somewhere since i don't believe that any human being should earn such ridiculous amounts of money unless they generate profit themselves.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom