• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Gallas (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthwenger

Re: Gallas Off?

I think he is gone - PHW comments basically puts the lid on him staying. I think we'll buy one more CB and gamble on Djourou's fitness with Campbell here as well - like to see Nordveit promoted and possibly a run in our cup teams.

ricky1985

Established Member

James said:
If we're in a position of just having Vermaelen, Campbell and Djourou left this summer, we'll be in desperate need of two centre halfs. Djourou has the potential, but shouldn't be as high as third choice, and we can't afford to rely on Campbell as much as we have done if we're struck with a couple of injuries. If it were down to me i'd have Gallas, Vermaelen, Cahill, Djourou, Campbell. Then we'd be fine. Completely out of Wenger's hands now though, and i expect Gallas will go to Italy.
If, after 6 years of developing him and at 23 years of age, Djourou's not even good enough as a 3rd choice centreback, what's the point of keeping him around?

I think Wenger will see it the same way. If Wenger doesn't believe he's good enough for that role he'll move him on, unless his injury inhibits him going forward - all the indications are that it won't - I can see Wenger being very happy with Djourou as the first reserve next season.

darthwenger

Imo, Djourou has to prove himself again. Has always had the height and pace but needs to prove his fitness before even having a shot at a first team spot.

number_0

Established Member

I would like for us to keep hold of him, Its a huge shame that we let go of a quality player such as Gallas over wage issues rather than actual performance. We need continuity in the squad and CB is hardly a place where are enjoying any luxury in depth.
With Sol and Djourou coming back we can afford to rest gallas more since we practically ran him to the ground this season.

James

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
James said:
If we're in a position of just having Vermaelen, Campbell and Djourou left this summer, we'll be in desperate need of two centre halfs. Djourou has the potential, but shouldn't be as high as third choice, and we can't afford to rely on Campbell as much as we have done if we're struck with a couple of injuries. If it were down to me i'd have Gallas, Vermaelen, Cahill, Djourou, Campbell. Then we'd be fine. Completely out of Wenger's hands now though, and i expect Gallas will go to Italy.
If, after 6 years of developing him and at 23 years of age, Djourou's not even good enough as a 3rd choice centreback, what's the point of keeping him around?

I think Wenger will see it the same way. If Wenger doesn't believe he's good enough for that role he'll move him on, unless his injury inhibits him going forward - all the indications are that it won't - I can see Wenger being very happy with Djourou as the first reserve next season.
23 is still extremely young for a centre half though. He still has time on his side to impress, just not quite sure if he's a) good enough; or b) reliable to stay fit, for him to be our first choice backup.

Like mentioned, he has to start all over and prove himself again now. It is a shame, because i feel he had done just that before his injury.

Anyway, don't want to drag this off topic too much.

James

Established Member

number_0 said:
With Sol and Djourou coming back we can afford to rest gallas more since we practically ran him to the ground this season.
Add Vermaelen to that too.

Wenger14

Established Member

Campbell will be promoted to first choice, with a good summer's rest and a full preseason under his belt. He will replace Gallas. Silvestre will sign an extension and remain as our only back up for the season cause Djourou will be prone to injuries throughout the season.

Just to piss us off more, Wenger will get us excited with the sale of Almunia but then hand Fabianski the number 1 jersey and bring in a Mart Poom type signing to compete with Vito for the back up spot.

Chamakh will be our only first team signing of the summer, but in truth he will be just replacing Cesc's squad place, with Nasri moving from wide right to centre and Chamakh taking his spot.

And inevitably, Song will pick up an injury early on in September and face a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Wenger won't buy anyone in January to fill the void cause Ramsey (October return) and Song (March return) will be like new signings.

Oh and Robin, Tomas and Eduardo will be in and out of the team all year, plus expect the usual truck load of injury victims at the business end of the season.

Damn this should be in the predictions thread.

Lord Dula

Established Member

Wenger14 said:
Campbell will be promoted to first choice, with a good summer's rest and a full preseason under his belt. He will replace Gallas. Silvestre will sign an extension and remain as our only back up for the season cause Djourou will be prone to injuries throughout the season.

Just to piss us off more, Wenger will get us excited with the sale of Almunia but then hand Fabianski the number 1 jersey and bring in a Mart Poom type signing to compete with Vito for the back up spot.

Chamakh will be our only first team signing of the summer, but in truth he will be just replacing Cesc's squad place, with Nasri moving from wide right to centre and Chamakh taking his spot.

And inevitably, Song will pick up an injury early on in September and face a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Wenger won't buy anyone in January to fill the void cause Ramsey (October return) and Song (March return) will be like new signings.

Oh and Robin, Tomas and Eduardo will be in and out of the team all year, plus expect the usual truck load of injury victims at the business end of the season.

Damn this should be in the predictions thread.

Sounds about right.

ricky1985

Established Member

Juventus set to sign Arsenal defender Gallas
According to the Italian paper Tuttosport , the Serie A side will close a deal with the Arsenal man within a few days, beating Panathinaikos, Roma and Paris Saint Germain for his signature.

The paper said that Juventus were offering Gallas a two-year contract worth two million euros per season.

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood told the Mirror that the Gunners were resigned to losing Gallas, although they wanted him to remain at the Emirates for one more year.

The 32-year-old Frenchman is out of contract in the summer after his demands for a new two-year deal worth £80,000-a-week were rejected.

“If someone else is prepared to pay him (Gallas) that, good luck to him," said Hill-Wood. "We would very much like him to stay for another year, but we are not too sure about two.”

Gallas' ability as a defender has never been questioned, unlike his temperament, however.

He left Chelsea on bad terms in 2006 and is said to have fallen out with several members of the Arsenal squad.

Gallas was initially made captain by Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, but In November 2008, following an outburst about his team mates, he was stripped of the role and Cesc Fabregas was appointed in his place.
I've always seen Gallas at Juve, it always seemed to fit for me - and I think he'll jump at the chance.

Bossa

Established Member

Good luck Gallas trying to get a two year contract worth of 80k. I doubt that a club would pay that money for a 33 year-old crock.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

Cannavaro - 36 years old

Gallas - 32 years old

big difference there.. at 32, Cannavaro won the FIFA player of the year..

Klaus, why do you think he would end up at Roma? just because Ranieri signed him at Chelsea?

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member

Well, Cannavaro had started declining in his second season for Real. And I've a feeling that even Gallas is gonna decline physically, soon enough.

The way he just couldn't get his fitness back after he got injured and had mystery problems were tell tale signs. A team which is expecting to be a force in the Champions League and vying for the title in Italy will face some problems if they depend on Gallas as the first choice.

Gurgen

Established Member

USArsenal said:
big difference there.. at 32, Cannavaro won the FIFA player of the year..

We all know that award is a joke anyway. Henry made him look like Cygan in the WC Final.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

oh, of course it was a joke, but lets be honest, 32 for a defender is not quite ancient yet.. 36 is getting close though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom