• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Gallas (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleywalrus

Re: Gallas Off?

It would be stupid to let him go, people are talking here as if we are going to buy 3 or 4 centre backs during the Summer, Senderos is leaving, campbell and silvestre are too old and may be gone so if gallas leaves we are down four centre backs, we should be keeping the squad together especially the good players. Letting Ashley Cole, Flamini, Pires and the like go has only succeeded in keeping our team in "transition" why do it again. Perhaps we can do better but who will be on the bench if we have an injury

MAK 14

Established Member

He's still a top defender and I'd be gutted to see him go. It could be for the best though because it seems as if he can't last an entire season without getting injured.

We must get a quality defender to replace him - we cannot replace him with a player already in the squad.

James

Established Member

I'd still like to see Gallas stay for another year, but his wages and injury problems are definitely a concern.

An equal or better replacement is going to cost us alot more money, and with the need of at least one more centre half as it stands, i certainly think we could do worse than extend his contract by a year.

qs

Established Member

James said:
An equal or better replacement is going to cost us alot more money

We'll have to replace him eventually anyway. This should have come 2 years ago. He's injury prone and a bad egg. Time to move on.

James

Established Member

That wasn't quite my point qs. I understand we'll have to replace him sooner or later, but even if you include Gallas in our plans for next season, i think we still need to spend on a centre half.

Senderos and Silvestre are off. Gallas going too, and just bringing in one centre half would be criminal. We'd be looking at spending £30m minimum on two centre backs.

Timleaf

Established Member

James said:
...I certainly think we could do worse than extend his contract by a year.

That's what we've been trying to do, but Billy wants more. If we give him the sort of deal he's asking for-something like 80k a week for 2 years-there's every likelyhood we'd have to stick with him as a starting player for the next two years.

Best just to cut our losses now and fix the position long term.

Abs

Established Member

James said:
That wasn't quite my point qs. I understand we'll have to replace him sooner or later, but even if you include Gallas in our plans for next season, i think we still need to spend on a centre half.

Senderos and Silvestre are off. Gallas going too, and just bringing in one centre half would be criminal. We'd be looking at spending £30m minimum on two centre backs.

I cant see us spending 30 million on 2 CB, specielly as we have Djourou and Campbell already. One top class CB, and give one of the kids (nordviet the fifth choice CB) and we be fine

James

Established Member

You boys have a way of taking my "quotes" out of context.

I hope we can wangle him into signing a one year deal on reduced terms. Huzzah.

qs

Established Member

I think we need a replacement for Gallas and a replacement for Tweety. Not reason enough to keep either though.

Abs

Established Member

James said:
You boys have a way of taking my "quotes" out of context.

I hope we can wangle him into signing a one year deal on reduced terms. Huzzah.

If he stays I hope Wenger gets a top class centre half anyway, so atleast that CB will have one year under his belt before taking over Gallas, that would be the ideal situation.

James

Established Member

Abs said:
I cant see us spending 30 million on 2 CB, specielly as we have Djourou and Campbell already. One top class CB, and give one of the kids (nordviet the fifth choice CB) and we be fine
If we're in a position of just having Vermaelen, Campbell and Djourou left this summer, we'll be in desperate need of two centre halfs. Djourou has the potential, but shouldn't be as high as third choice, and we can't afford to rely on Campbell as much as we have done if we're struck with a couple of injuries. If it were down to me i'd have Gallas, Vermaelen, Cahill, Djourou, Campbell. Then we'd be fine. Completely out of Wenger's hands now though, and i expect Gallas will go to Italy.

qs

Established Member

I wouldn't mind getting just the one new centre half if we get a proper DM too because then Song can cover at CB when needed.

Abs

Established Member

James said:
Abs said:
If we're in a position of just having Vermaelen, Campbell and Djourou left this summer, we'll be in desperate need of two centre halfs. Djourou has the potential, but shouldn't be as high as third choice, and we can't afford to rely on Campbell as much as we have done if we're struck with a couple of injuries. If it were down to me i'd have Gallas, Vermaelen, Cahill, Djourou, Campbell. Then we'd be fine. Completely out of Wenger's hands now though, and i expect Gallas will go to Italy.

I agree, but I just dont see him buying two CB. Its either gonna be he will have enough trust on one of Bartley or Nordviet to be 5th choice, or buy a top CB, and a holding midfielder who can play CB as well, the second choice is my hope, that would take care of two problems.

James

Established Member

qs said:
I wouldn't mind getting just the one new centre half if we get a proper DM too because then Song can cover at CB when needed.
I'd take that actually. It'd still require us to spend a vast amount, but would ultimately strengthen us in two positions, as well as build for the long term. We'd probably have to aim higher than the likes of Cahill though.

Lord Dula

Established Member

Jimbo, what you doing in the transfer forum?

Get rid of bill and put the wages aside for others

qs

Established Member

Bloody right we would.

Wenger keeps talking about adding quality and not numbers and thats fine with me.

Lord Dula

Established Member

James said:
I'm lost mate, point me in the right direction.

Head up past the Buffon thread, weave through the anti and the non-anti wishlists, take the stairs up to the Board Index, and make your way over to the Trusted Member area. Careful you dont stumble and fall into the Slopbucket - they have trolls in there and everyfink

Viking

James said:

Even if Gallas stays we'll need to sign another centre-back. Which, considering how Gallas is demanding 15 million over two years, would cost the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom