• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would Ian Wright get into today's Arsenal side?

daniel

Allthough Wright didn't have the same technical abilities as our strikers today, he would get an advantage infront of Ade and RvP if it were up to me. His had a good feeling for a goal and he was a natural goalscorer... A target man if you wish.
He'd definitly have a place for himself in the team... And he would use it well... Don't you doubt that!

Alfonso

Established Member
phonics said:
Tony Montana said:
Alfonso said:
But Ade is only 21. At 21, no one even heard of Ian Wright. I dont even think he was playing football at this age.

He was playing Sunday League which just goes to show ho quality he was. If he could adapt from non-league football to top quality premiership football then i'm sure his technical ability could improve in today's Arsenal. At least he would improve our team.

wait, hold up. Wasn't he still a youngster when he scored in that play-off/cup semi-final for palace? It's stresssing my child like stoner memory of 18 years but stilll.

I think he was 26 in the Cup final of 1990 when he played for Palace.

Alfonso

Established Member
dizzyfcuk said:
WTF is a fox in the box? please, please refrain from using that BS phrase.

In regards to "Would Ian Wright get in today's arsenal side?" Yes, he would.

Fox in a box is not a BS phrase. Henry said it after the 2001 FA Cup final where if we had a fox in a box on that day we wouldnt have lost to Liverpool.

Fox in the box is basiclaly a poacher, e.g Inzaghi.

Captain

Established Member
Wright wasn't a 'fox in the box' though.

He was a very good striker who lead the line well. He was also the most adept chipper of the ball I think have ever seen.

Alfonso

Established Member
Slighlty off topic, but would Dave Seaman, Tony Adams and Paul Merson get in todays Arsenal team?

GUNNERS4L1FE

Established Member
Captain said:
Wright wasn't a 'fox in the box' though.

He was a very good striker who lead the line well. He was also the most adept chipper of the ball I think have ever seen.

His chips against Leeds and Yeovil spring to mind. He scored quite a few special goals

cloista

Yes Wrighty would, without a doubt.

Henry and Wrighty up top with Dennis in the hole behind them...

Now THAT would have been magical!

Alfonso

Established Member
Wait, so are you telling me being a fox in a box and being a normal striker is mutually exclusive? One can be an expert for poaching and scoring in the 6 yard box as well as scoring the spectacular goal like Wright did. A perfect example of this is Etto. Fox in a box is not all that Wright was.

Alfonso

Established Member
Persoanally, the only player from the George Graham era that i can see playing in our current side is Rocastle.He would be much more effective than Hleb.

Was Alan Smith a fox in a box?

Captain

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Wait, so are you telling me being a fox in a box and being a normal striker is mutually exclusive? One can be an expert for poaching and scoring in the 6 yard box as well as scoring the spectacular goal like Wright did. A perfect example of this is Etto. Fox in a box is not all that Wright was.

I would say that a fox in the box is just thatt; a player who is only worthy of the shirt when he is in the box; a 'one touch, one goal' sort of player. I would never say a player is a fox in the box and something else; I see that description of a player as being one which deems them as limited, perhaps useful, but limited all the same.

Ian wright was so much more, he had an excellent touch, was aggressive in terms of general play and goalscoring. He could dribble despite that not being a prominent skill; not dribbling like a ronaldinho obviously but he didn't just lose the ball if he had to run more then 5 yards with it (like a Linekar). His movement was immense and he was fairly pacy. Perhaps he didn't work the wings like an Henry, but he certainly wasn't uncomfortable if he recieved the ball out wide.

I can't begin to explain how good a striker he was but he in terms of talent he was certainly up there with some of the finest england have ever produced.

Alfonso

Established Member
Captain said:
I can't begin to explain how good a striker he was but he in terms of talent he was certainly up there with some of the finest england have ever produced.

Mate that is bit of a big statement.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Captain said:

Do you not like him or something?

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Captain said:

But it's true.

He was a goal machine.

kym7224

Wrighty is way better than current 2nd striker in our squad..

nor RVP, Ade, Theo, way behind than Ian W\right.

I still want to see Henry- Wright partnership..It is dream 2 top.

Soze04

Alfonso said:
If Wrighty was playing today he may have buried some of RvP's chances!

LOL 8)

I think Wrighty(in his early 30s) could defintely get into today's squad.

That guy was just the most merciless finisher from my experience.

Off the top of my head, I remember a goal he scored at Elland Road(1997 I believe) that was a 1 out of 100 chance, but he just put it into the net like the very narrow angle opportunity wasn't a big deal to pull off.

I love Wrighty and will always see his talents as "modern" evven though he's been gone for a good while now.

Dougan17

I don't agree with a lot of the points the starter makes though. I mean his temper and aggression? RVP is one of the most aggressive players and has always had a short fuse and if he was scoring in the amounts that Wrighty was I can't imagine he'd be sharing his spot with Adebayor atm. Wright had great positional sense and while I think if Wright was in the side Henry's goal tallies would never have reached the heights they are at now as he'd be a much more creative player, Wright could easily be accomodated with the midfield we have.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom