• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would Ian Wright get into today's Arsenal side?

dvandyke

Wright was bloody awesome. He would walk into this Arsenal team and the current England team with ease.

Captain

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
Captain said:
Tony Montana said:
Wright got 33 England caps and achieved 9 goals which is not great but not pathetic if you know what I mean.

How many of those came against San Marino?

How many of Crouch's goals came against s***e teams like Jamaica and Trinidad? When does crouch ever score against real quality teams for England? How many times was Ian a substitute?

Face it, England f*d up for Wrighty and Andy Cole.

Well that certainly answered my question.

Cheers mate.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Captain said:
Tony Montana said:
Captain said:
Tony Montana said:
Wright got 33 England caps and achieved 9 goals which is not great but not pathetic if you know what I mean.

How many of those came against San Marino?

How many of Crouch's goals came against s***e teams like Jamaica and Trinidad? When does crouch ever score against real quality teams for England? How many times was Ian a substitute?

Face it, England f*d up for Wrighty and Andy Cole.

Well that certainly answered my question.

Cheers mate.

jackycreegs had already answered you before I gave my rant. I thought you were having a pop at Ian Wright and being sarcastic. :lol:

Mostarac

Established Member
warwickmac said:
I believe some people have forgoten what Ian Wright was like!
Watch his DVD and then tell me he was not technical enough. He could turn with a ball on a ten pence piece and he often had rubbish balls supplied to him that he controlled instantly.
Ian Wright was not just a 'fox in the box' anybody remember Swindon away or the fabulous volleys from 25 yards?
Ian and Thierry would be awsome, just think of the balls cesc would put through to him!
Sorry for the rant but lets not forget the legends of yester year!

Agree with everything you said. Wright was the reason for me starting to support Arsenal and maybe the biggest Arsenal favourite of them all for me. Love his sense of humour and the way he behaved while playing for Arsenal. Too bad(as you say) that some people have suddenly "forgot" about Wright, about how much he gave us Arsenal-supporters. Will never forget that match against Bolton(I think it was against them) where he scored and became our all-time topscorer at the time, pulling off his kit and showing a t-shirt below stating how many goals he had scored and the text "I just did it" below :) . Another special Wright-memory for me is a away match we played against Manchester United where Wright almost got into a fight with Schmeichel. Great player, I have only good memories of him.

Captain

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
jackycreegs had already answered you before I gave my rant. I thought you were having a pop at Ian Wright and being sarcastic. :lol:

:lol:

Nah, go back a page or two and you'll see what I said about Wright.

Top drawer player , unfortunately he fell into that 'not good enough' category. You know the ones, they get one start every six months and unless they have the performance of a lifetime they are out of their depth; while other players get given 2 years to do something because 'form is temporary'.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Captain said:
Tony Montana said:

:lol:

Nah, go back a page or two and you'll see what I said about Wright.

Top drawer player , unfortunately he fell into that 'not good enough' category. You know the ones, they get one start every six months and unless they have the performance of a lifetime they are out of their depth; while other players get given 2 years to do something because 'form is temporary'.

Good point nicely put. Lampard is one of those 'form is temporary' players imo.

Alfonso

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
Chips&CurrySauce said:
To be honest I don't think he ever had a fair go for Englan, I always felt how he was used by England was criminal.. At the time Lineker was the golden boy, the captain, the player that had never even been booked and Wrighty was never gonna be picked ahead of him... Wrighty was never given a sustained run in the England side, for say 10 matches.. Wrighty was unique a one off, he played on impulse and on the edge..

I couldn't agree more. The same goes for Andy Cole. Everyone bangs on about Shearer which is fair enough I guess because he's scored the most premiership goals ever. But Andy Cole comes second and no one ever mentions him. He never got treated properly by England and i'm convinced he would have been a great asset. The same goes for Wrighty. Fair enough, he was injured for 1998 but what about euro 1996? Was he injured for that competition as well? Qualifiers were important games as well.

Andy Cole had more opportunities than Wright had for England but he never produced. I about this time 11 years ago, Alan Shearer had not scored for 18 months or something for England and Cole was in his first year at United. Cole got opportunities in about 3 consecutive matches around this time but failed to score in any.This was his opportunity to shine. I think Andy Cole has the worst record ever for a England striker who has more than 10 caps. I think, if memory serves me correctly, Andy Cole had not scored more than 1 goal for England!

Also Kevin Keegan gave him a few chances and he didnt impress either.

I always though Andy Cole, like Inaghi, needed 5 chances to score the one goal.

Also it is important to remember Cole has always been notrorioulsy hard to work with(e.g he hated loads of players, esp Sheringham).

Did you guys know that Andy Cole used to play for Arsenal?

Do you guys know the reason why George Graham chucked him out? Il give you a clue, it wasnt to do with football.

Alfonso

Established Member
sabret00the said:
asajoseph said:
The more I think about it, the more this idea that playing Wrighty would 'damage our team play' seems absurd.

People seem to have forgotten that the goal of the team is to score as many goals and conceed as few as possible - intricate passing by the strikers in the central third means bugger all if it doesn't actually cause us to score. Wrighty was a brilliant striker, and scored MANY goals that are as good as anything Henry's ever scored. He wasn't as complete as Thierry, but in our current team he really wouldn't need to be.
QFT, Wrighty is one of the best (top 5-10 depending on your level of bias) strikers the world ever saw.

I can name you 20 strikers that have been and are better than Wright.

No way is Wright in the top 5-10 best strikers of all time. That is an insult to all legendary strikers.

I dont even think Wright is in the top 5-10 English strikers of all time.

Nathan101

If your talking about history the likes of Dixie Dean, Jimmy Greaves and Jackie Milburn would also have to come into the reckoning

Alfonso

Established Member
Captain said:
who are the top 5-10 english strikers?

Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Charlton, Gary Linekar, Alan Shearer, Micheal Owen, Robbie Fowler,Geoff Hurst, Malcom McDonald,Cliff Bastin, Micheal Ricketts.

Alfonso

Established Member
Captain said:
Are you taking the piss?

no.

Apart from the last one.

Why, who are yours?

I havent mentioned Le Tisser as he didnt have a good record for England, but he was the most skillfull English player ive ever seen!

Jkreffer

Established Member
Le Tiss was more of an offensive midfield player anyway I think. He was an absolutely brillaint player on his day though. I am surprised he didn't have a better record for England.

Alfonso

Established Member
Peter Beardlesy was very good as well. He played up front with Linkear at Italia 90.

But for me Robbie Fowler is the best English natural finisher ive ever seen. In the mid 90ties he was a phenonmenon!

Quickest premiership hatrick ever.

There is also Les Ferdinand. But i think there is not much between him and Ian Wright.

Mark Hately is another one. Only joking.

Captain

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Captain said:
Are you taking the piss?

no.

Apart from the last one.

Why, who are yours?

I havent mentioned Le Tisser as he didnt have a good record for England, but he was the most skillfull English player ive ever seen!

Two of those players are midfielders for a start. Beyond that it's your opinion.

For my money Wrighty was a better player then Fowler, Owen and Linekar.

There have been more/equally skillful english players then LeTiss.

Jkreffer

Established Member
I feel sorry for Fowler, because he was another player who wasn't really the player for England he should have been. He had some good games and goals, but never really nailed his name onto the teamsheet. I suppose he had Shearer and Sheringham ahead of him in their peak years though. Then just when Sheringham looked finished Michael Owen came through.

Alfonso how dare you remind me of Mark Hately!

Alfonso

Established Member
Captain said:
Alfonso said:
Captain said:
Are you taking the piss?

no.

Apart from the last one.

Why, who are yours?

Two of those players are midfielders for a start. Beyond that it's your opinion.

For my money Wrighty was a better player then Fowler, Owen and Linekar.

There have been more/equally skillful english players then LeTiss.

Tell me which of the stikers i named were midfielders?

Who was more skillfull than Le Tiss? Hoddle? Gazza? Joe Cole?

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom