• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would You Support Move For Rio

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Do we need him?

I don't think we do. The defence has been generally strong over the last two year, the opening months of this season aside.

asajoseph

Established Member
What on earth's the point of this question?

He's a manc, he'd cost a lot in transfer fees and wages, but he's a damn good player, with his best years still in front of him.

asajoseph

Established Member
OneteaminLondon said:
Do we need him?

I don't think we do. The defence has been generally strong over the last two year, the opening months of this season aside.

We don't need him? That's like saying we don't 'need' to improve the team. That what we have has reached such a pinnacle of excellence that it can not possibly be surpassed.

No, we don't need better players. But you can be damn sure that IF we had Rio Ferdinand in the squad, we'd be a better team because of it. He's a world class player that WOULD make an improvement on the Arsenal team. Plain and simple.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
if he came cheaper than that, sure why not... but he will NEVER come for less than 20, and we would NEVER pay that... plus his wages would be astonomical

JazzG

Established Member
Wouldn't be too happy about my club spending over £20mill on Rio 'bling bling' Ferdinand.....

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
asajoseph said:
OneteaminLondon said:
Do we need him?

We don't need him? That's like saying we don't 'need' to improve the team. That what we have has reached such a pinnacle of excellence that it can not possibly be surpassed.

No, we don't need better players. But you can be damn sure that IF we had Rio Ferdinand in the squad, we'd be a better team because of it. He's a world class player that WOULD make an improvement on the Arsenal team. Plain and simple.

Would we be a better team? Really? I'm not sure we would. For sure, Rio's a fine defender and is comfortable on the ball. But I think he gets, well, distracted too easily.

Wenger14

Established Member
If we could afford his wages, Arsène would get him for sure, but we can't so we won't get him, There's no denying are defense will be the best in europe IMO with Cambell Ferdinand Senderos and Toure, teams will not only fear our attack but our defense as well. Without Rio Manu aren't half the team they are now. True I have a lot of hate for Rio simply because he is a cheating ****, but you can't deny his quality.

asajoseph

Established Member
OTIL,

no more distracted than our own Ashley Cole, or Patrick Vieira. Yes, we would definitely be a better team with Rio Ferdinand. He's a world class defender, and whatever we may think of Kolo Toure, I can't believe anyone would take him over Rio.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Depends on the entire scenario really. Im not a fan of Rio since he's a United player, but there is no doubting his quality.

But I think the bigger query I have is, when did Real Madrid make a £21m bid for Rio Ferdinand anyways?

JazzG

Established Member
Rio is a very good defender but a few times his lack of courage has let him down. For example against Everton he kinda crapped his pants when Ferguson was there and gave him a free header. Against Chelsea in the Carling cup when Duff crossed he should of bulldozered Terry out of the way to clear the ball but instead didn't attack the ball so missed it and the ball went past everyone and straight in.

If the price is right I wouldn't say no to him but we have other positions in our team which needed to be sorted out more urgently...

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
asajoseph said:
OTIL,

no more distracted than our own Ashley Cole, or Patrick Vieira. Yes, we would definitely be a better team with Rio Ferdinand. He's a world class defender, and whatever we may think of Kolo Toure, I can't believe anyone would take him over Rio.

Did I mention forgetful? :lol:

No, I take your point, even the most one eyed Arsenal fan would be hard pushed to argue that Toure is better than Rio. That said, Rio didn't look like a 20 million defender last Monday.

asajoseph

Established Member
Oh, Rio sure has his drawbacks - if it were down to footballing reasons alone, I'd sure take him. But with all the other factors involved, it's a much more difficult question.

If he still had an afro, I don't believe any of you would doubt him though ;)

This is such a ridiculous discussion though - we all know Arsène won't go for him, he'll cost too much, and it's not even likely that he'll leave. Might as well ask if we'd take Adriano, if we matched Chelsea's bid.

towelie

no way

he'll cost a bloody whole lot and Arsène is not going to pay his wage demands

this is a pointless thread

Mark

Established Member
Won't ever happen, but yeah I'd take him. Excellent defender who's very good on the ball which is something we lack in the defenders currently at our club.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom