• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Xabi Alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.

InWengerWeTrust

Wenger tells Liverpool to lower £18m fee for AlonsoWenger baulks at Liverpool's £18m price tag, as he dreams of a Spanish midfield axis at Arsenal

Arsène Wenger wants Xabi Alonso to form a Spanish midfield axis with Cesc Fábregas at Arsenal next season, provided Liverpool dramatically lower their £18m price for the marginalised playmaker.

Arsenal have made an initial approach for the 26-year-old Alonso, who has been told he can leave Anfield for the right price. His first-team prospects are threatened by the imminent arrival of Gareth Barry; Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benítez, hopes finally to complete the saga of Barry's £18m transfer from Aston Villa this week, after Martin O'Neill was forced to make a U-turn over his captain's future, and has insisted on a similar fee for Alonso as he attempts to balance the books.

Benítez's price tag, however, has deterred Arsenal from returning with a firm offer for a player they value at closer to the £10.5m Liverpool paid Real Sociedad for him four years ago. The deal will remain only a remote possibility unless Arsenal revise their stance or, despite Benítez's insistence that Alonso and Barry can operate in his already crowded central midfield, the Liverpool manager's need to raise funds forces a compromise.

"I don't think it will be easy [for him to leave]," admitted Benítez in Glasgow on Saturday. "The value of Alonso in the market will be really high. We are really pleased with him and we don't want him to go unless we get a very good price."

More information here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/04/arsenal.liverpool?gusrc=rss&feed=football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008 ... d=football</a>

kooldawg

Established Member
Interesting, so thats probably why Pat Rice was inquiring about Barry's possible move to the pool.

The price definitely has to go down if Wenger is going to go through with this, Alonso is not worth 18m.

asajoseph

Established Member
Whether or not his price goes down depends on whether or not Liverpool's owners force Benitez to sell - and I'm not sure they will. Alonso is apparently not agitating for a move, and personally I think Benitez is too stubborn to knock almost 50% of that price.

Dez

Daily Star think its close: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/46232/Xabi-s-a-Gunner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/vie ... -a-Gunner/</a>

"Arsène WENGER is on the verge of signing Liverpool outcast Xabi Alonso.

Wenger has turned to the £16m-rated Spaniard to provide the experience lacking in his young midfield at the Emirates Stadium.

The Arsenal manager moved for Alonso after admitting defeat in his late bid to tempt Gareth Barry away from the clutches of Rafa Benitez.

He has already moved swiftly to make contact with the Reds and expects to tie up a cut-price deal within days.

Alonso is valued highly at Anfield but Arsenal expect them to do business for nearer £12m as they need funds to buy Barry from Aston Villa."

Dez

Not really the other articles say we're interested this one claims we are close to a deal. I don't believe it personally but don't shoot the messenger.

asajoseph

Established Member
It only says we're close to a deal because it sounds more glamorous than saying 'there's this wild rumour flying around that...'.

Sells more papers, see...

Dez

To be honest I find that a little condescending asa... of course thats the case.

But it isn't the same article repeated, although the information contained is the same its claim is different and hence I feel it justifies being posted - people can make up there own minds. But like you I concluded that its a textbook example of populist, sensationalist bullshit that has infultrated the media.

If you were merely making a comment on the article itself then i apologise but I got the implication from your previous post that you were questioning my posting of the article. Unless you can point to the phrase in which 'close to a deal' has already been posted I think you must concede the validity of the article being posted here. And if your so offended by sensationalist articles trying to make something out of nothing being posted I'd draw your attention to the Bojan thread.

asajoseph

Established Member
Wasn't intended to be condescending, and wasn't shooting the messenger.

Just getting tired of the somewhat dull repetition of tired, unrealistic rumours. The rags are to blame for that, not you.

Asterix

Established Member
The Guardian, which is generally more respected has one point of view, which is measured and realistic. The Daily Star says that we're close to signing him. I know which report I'm more likely to believe.

Personally I'm beginning to think that our transfer dealing is done.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
He scores a penalty and recieves a warm recepetion from the liverpool fans at Ibrox....He stays at Liverpool to recieve a heros award at the El madrigal along with the other spanish european champions. Has all the signs of a farewell, hmmmm lol

Great player though, id never forget his two world class ground passes from deep midfield at sunderland in 05/06 to setup Gerrard and Garcia

When rafa needs money as weve seen in the past, hed even sell valauble squad memebers to raise money in the hopes on landing his target. We sure do have a say in the Barry saga but IMO it depends on who we get

Im confident well sign an experienced international midfielder but its a matter of who

stuart

Established Member
I've always said i like Alonso but he's been awful these last few years and i just cant see how him and Cesc will be good enough defensively.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
They play well together for spain as Alonso stays deep and just covers. Watch his game, his defensive side is very similar to Gilberto. They are not aggressive challengers like Flamini or Mascherano but Xabi has much more guile to his game is he needs to step it up in the final third

I think his relationship with rafa has become tense the last year or so and TBH hes offered liverpool a lot, maybe time to move on

Anzac

Established Member
IMO Rafa has f*cked Alonso's game up these past 2 seasons......I think Alonso is more a MCd than DM - much like a Denilson type perhaps as opposed to a Flamini or Gilberto.

And reading the reaction to Denilson v Juve & Real then I'd say that the likelyhood of AW signing a name in midfield is more remote than before - more likely a Inler Gokhan type than anyone - unless a real bargain became avaialble like Diarra.....

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I don't really see what Alonso can bring to the side, but if he is our only option, I would easily take him over Denilson and Diaby.

number_0

Established Member
I dont want another gilberto type DM next to cesc after seeing how the flamini aggresiveness worked wonders this season, we need dynamism not a slow CM, and certainly not one that will cost us 18m and will improve our rivels!

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Don't see why we would pay 18 mil for Alonso when we could pay 16 mil+ Hoyte+ Eboue + Emirates meal vouchers for Barry.

I could imagine us offering 10 mil, getting rejected and going into next season with Denilson/Diaby.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
£10M

Rafa has to sell. Alonso isn't staying. Barry is going. Alonso will spend half the season injured but when he plays he'll be great.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i would pay up to 12 million for him... he's used to the league, he has some sort of understanding with Cesc from the Spanish team, he's got a decent long range shot on him, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom