• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yaya Sanogo joins Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11h1zf_francia-3-0-turquia-gol-de-sanogo-mundial-sub-20_sport#from=embediframe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11h1z ... mbediframe</a>
France U20 looks very strong

yuvken

Established Member
Yeah, though very early, I told someone earlier that's just the impression I had (like clock) - reminds me more of the young Anelka than other players.
He's a striker, that's the job he was born to do. How good he'll be - depends how healthy and hard working he'll be, mainly. Happy with this signing (provided it's not one of the signing signings.
Good goal there.

blaze_of_glory

The kid can definitely finish in addition to being both huge and fast. Pretty good combo of attributes I'd say.

a_fourteen

Established Member
He's 20 but has only played 22 professional games and never more than 5 in a row. Have we learned nothing?

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
a_fourteen said:
He's 20 but has only played 22 professional games and never more than 5 in a row. Have we learned nothing?
young players tend to have injury problems early on in their career, its a free transfer of 15-20k wages
A club as big as Arsenal can afford to take these kind of gambles

Floating

Established Member
a_fourteen said:

It's a gamble, mate - Wenger must realize that, but it's one with very low stakes. He was free and on youth wages.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Floating said:
a_fourteen said:

It's a gamble, mate - Wenger must realize that, but it's one with very low stakes. He was free and on youth wages.
At 20 he's not going into the reserves. It's straight to the first team for him.
Here's a prediction. Wenger falls in love with him and spends the better part of his contract waiting for him to gain his fitness. He gives us one good season and fcks off to a bigger club. Sound familiar?
Not to mention, why the fck are we buying young strikers every season and not playing them? Ryo, Campbell, now Sanogo. What happened to the strikers from our academy? We spend boat loads on developing players but not a single striker has come through the system.

Floating

Established Member
a_fourteen said:
Not to mention, why the fck are we buying young strikers every season and not playing them? Ryo, Campbell, now Sanogo. What happened to the strikers from our academy? We spend boat loads on developing players but not a single striker has come through the system.

Ryo is not a striker, but him and Campbell spent last year on loan. Akpom is looking very promising, and has risen quickly through the youth ranks.
What are you complaining about, exactly?

musicmonkey

Established Member
Floating said:
a_fourteen said:

Ryo is not a striker, but him and Campbell spent last year on loan. Akpom is looking very promising, and has risen quickly through the youth ranks.
Campbell has also spent most of his career on the wing. We'd be converting him if we move him to CF though he does have the attributes to play there imo.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Looks more like a young Adebayor than Anelka to me. Basically it's a punt by Wenger, may or may not work out.

Welcome, and now onto some real signings(of which we need 3 or 4 imo)

a_fourteen

Established Member
Floating said:
a_fourteen said:

I don't know. I'm just in a bad mood. Bloody weather is getting to me.

glaveror

Welcome to the club and I hope for 10 seasons while scoring a minimum of 25 goals in each and every single one of them!

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In Yaya Sanogo Arsenal have acquired an athletic forward who is a "tall, quick, great all-round striker" according to French football expert James Eastham.

Following confirmation of Arsène Wenger's first signing of the summer on Monday Premierleague.com spoke to Eastham, who acts as a scout in France and who writes various columns on Ligue 1. Eastham has been aware of the 20-year-old's talent for several years and provides an intriguing insight into a player with a reputation for being the "best-ever product from the Auxerre youth system", who scored his first goal as an Arsenal player at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup on Tuesday night and who has scored three goals in four matches for France at the finals in Turkey.

What sort of player is Sanogo?
James Eastham: He is very tall and athletic and quick. He's been talked about as a great prospect since he was 15 or 16. He's had injury problems over the past couple of years, including a broken leg. It got to the point where, in his words, he was not sure whether he might be able to continue in the game.

After a year out he came back midway through the season just finished and was excellent. He's a great all-round striker. He has all the athletic and physical qualities you look for and is a good finisher.

He is also very good with his back to goal. I saw him for France Under-20s against Portugal in February and what stood out for me was how good he was coming away from the penalty area. He held the ball up very well with great use of his upper body and holding off defenders. He also laid off the ball very well so he is more than just a goalscorer, like Ian Wright, he is more broad than that.

He's only played in the Ligue 2 and was in Ligue 1 with Auxerre but did not have a good run of games, partly because of his young age, partly through injuries. But he has always done well at youth level for France and the French Federation has always had him in mind as one of their best prospects. He's just been unlucky with injuries.

So Wenger is partly buying him on potential but you can see why he did it because of his performances in the second half of the season. He got four goals in one match, against Laval, all in 17 minutes and he'd only been back fit after a year out for six weeks.

What sort of systems has he played in?
JE: He has played with two wide men, pretty much alone at the top, with Olivier Kapo, the former Wigan player, or a similar player just off him and he has looked comfortable there.

Is he a good header of the ball?
JE: From what I have seen most of the crosses that have come to him have been low, so there is not much evidence of that. He is more ball to feet and when the ball is in the air it is mainly with his back to goal, playing it out wide and crosses coming in low.

Who would be a player to whom you could accurately compare Sanogo?
JE: He is not like Thierry Henry. He is not a player who bursts in from wide areas. I have not seen him steaming away from people with pure pace. He is more a central player than Henry was at the same age. You might say Nicolas Anelka but he was a one-on-one player who gets in on the goalkeeper and finishes coolly. He is a bit different, because of the back-to-school element. He is still untested.

What about his mentality?
JE: I have heard only good reports about him. It has been difficult for him because he has almost been forgotten. I first heard of him when he was 16 and then the view was that Auxerre, who have historically had a good youth system, had got their best-ever product from the system. But because of the injuries, he virtually disappeared and Auxerre initially would not extend his contract this summer because of this. So there has not been too much talk about his attitude because he has been too busy getting fit and to have done so at this age is a massive credit to him because it must have been very difficult.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/jul/analysis-of-new-arsenal-forward-yaya-sanogo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news ... anogo.html</a>

Invincible

Established Member
From what I've seen of him he looks incredibly raw. Think he'll be loaned back out to Auxerre or some other French club as I feel he's nowhere near ready to contribute for us. I see Joel Campbell who's further along in his development being our 4th choice striker next season, if the talk about him being granted a work permit is indeed true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom