• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yeremy Pino

Which winger would you prefer?

• Total voters

Gunners1616

Honestly Zaha makes way more sense for our LW slot right now. Should’ve move earlier in the summer.

We are not willing to take that sort of risk for some reason. It was OK buying Willian at 33 but for Zaha, the age seems to be issue. Although we have more than enough youth now.

Every PL coach facing Palace is 100% worried about Zaha. Having him with Saka and Jesus would be tough to face for any PL defense. Especially given that Zaha usually requires lots of attention and often 2 man marking...

Jesus and Saka would be feasting. But we might end up overpaying for another young player for the sake of the process.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
We are not willing to take that sort of risk for some reason. It was OK buying Willian at 33 but for Zaha, the age seems to be issue. Although we have more than enough youth now.

Every PL coach facing Palace is 100% worried about Zaha. Having him with Saka and Jesus would be tough to face for any PL defense. Especially given that Zaha usually requires lots of attention and often 2 man marking...

Jesus and Saka would be feasting. But we might end up overpaying for another young player for the sake of the process.
think we are after a RW more than a LW given that we Martinelli and ESR who can play there

Arsenio Venger

Zaha is settling. This is going for a home run. In 2 years, it will be “derr whY dIDnt wE SiGn PiNa wHen We HaD thE cHance?”

Gn1212

Everyone except us. 😁
We nullified him on Friday.

Gunners1616

think we are after a RW more than a LW given that we Martinelli and ESR who can play there

Understandable. Although we should be buying someone who is clearly better and more productive than Pépé.

Really not convinced that Pépé wouldn't be better than the likes of Diaby or Pino in their respective leagues... Also if we don't want to lose him for nothing after paying 80M euros, might wanna play him a bit.

Maybe Edu and co. should just wait for a better market for top wingers...

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Zaha would be nice and great if that happens. But I think they are just trying a different strategy. We've seen with loads of our players now, how the combination of high wages + older pro's can be problematic. If the signing doesn't work out they are effectively stuck and stranded. If this sort of signing doesn't work then there won't be any messing about - they'll be on loan or sold 12 months later and we'll have a replacement straight in. If you target high potential players as well then it can work.

I dunno, Raphinha wasn't that profile, nor are Jesus or Zinchenko so we're obviously targeting experience as well. All smoke and mirrors at this point.

ChefMan21

A few things that, while I'm not against the signing, I'm cautious:

1. Haven't we been here before with Pepe? Super talented player and one of the hottest properties around at the time, so we go ahead and buy, only for them to not show their value (at least to date). Will Pino produce?
2. We needed at the time of Pepe a better CB; this time around we could do with a better midfielder and additional striker. With Pepe it was because 'attack' and Arsenal DNA, we even tried to use the argument that he'd improve our defence (which was a ridiculous talking point) and I think it's a similar deal here - we need a midfielder but we're going for a winger, and we'll find some ridiculous excuse for it.

If he produces great, but it worries me that not a lot seems to be happening in the midfield or striker space...

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
This signing does look like a massive punt. At 20-30m it makes sense but they're talking 50-60m. At that price why not pay the extra and bag a certified stud like Milinkovic Savic? Because otherwise you're paying for potential which may never come good. Question marks if he is the acceleration required for the PL.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If he produces great, but it worries me that not a lot seems to be happening in the midfield or striker space...
Probably because Arteta feels safe with Xhaka and Elneny for now, and there is Patino coming through so next season we could use him if things go well with his loan.

I feel like Lokonga and Vieira were massive mistakes, we should've gone for a reliable CM for that money

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Zaha is settling. This is going for a home run. In 2 years, it will be “derr whY dIDnt wE SiGn PiNa wHen We HaD thE cHance?”

How do you know that though? I watched some clips and sure he looks lively but I’ve seen so many young wingers like that, it wasn’t like I was watching a young Messi. Sancho was one of the best young players in the world and he looks average in PL. What makes this Pino guy so special.

We need prime age proven ability, otherwise this “project” will wither on the vine.

Arsenio Venger

How do you know that though? I watched some clips and sure he looks lively but I’ve seen so many young wingers like that, it wasn’t like I was watching a young Messi. Sancho was one of the best young players in the world and he looks average in PL. What makes this Pino guy so special.

We need prime age proven ability, otherwise this “project” will wither on the vine.
There’s a few things wrong with this line of thinking.

1. A player doesn’t have to be Messi
2. He is not Sancho
3. Most importantly, the players that you are talking about aren’t available. So yes, we don’t know. That’s why it’s a risk. But we have to take these risks if we want to jump to the next level. Are you ready to pay 300 million for Mbappe? We need to get them before they become great. And the other type of proven guy like Zaha don’t move the needle.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Let me preface this by saying I think our cover on the wings is fine, and I'm much more worried about our thin coverage in midfield. Wish the leadership would focus on that position first.

I didn't know the guy, so I went to check his stats and a couple of videos on Youtube. Of course, I can't judge too definitively and people who have seen more of him on here seem to rate him, but I don't see the 'future worldbeater' talent in him (yet). Of course, the young debut age for the national team is a big indicator, especially for a country like Spain and he might develop into a great winger. However, we have three projects on the wings as is. If we do go for a winger, I would go for one with more experience and immediate impact. Otherwise, what are we doing with Smith-Rowe and Martinelli? Competition is good, but it has to be the right mix of players. He looks kind of similar to Martinelli to me.

€45m+ for a player with one season under his belt, mediocre stats and a similar profile to a current player seems risky even in the best of cases.

I watched the Wolves - Leeds game, and Neto (who is a couple of years older and has PL-experience) looked dangerous. I think he would fit the bill better.

Also haven't seen much of Diaby, but I was pleasantly surprised when I watched his Youtube videos. Thought he was mostly a pace merchant (based on Fifa stats, to be fair) and I liked his eye for a pass, good cross and a clean and direct dribble. Seems the better option as well.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'm not sure I've even seen this guy play. If he's a real talent then fair enough.

I'm far from convinced we need another winger though. It certainly wouldn't be my priority anyway.

We could be in a situation here where we've spent north of £150m this window and still not addressed the CM region. Which is I think the area most of us wanted strengthening the most at the start of the window.

The purse strings have obviously been loosened but money isn't limitless. Buying a talented kid for the wing is fine but we're still going to be left with Elneny and Sambi as backups to Partey and Xhaka at this rate. That's a massive drop off.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
There’s a few things wrong with this line of thinking.

1. A player doesn’t have to be Messi
2. He is not Sancho
3. Most importantly, the players that you are talking about aren’t available. So yes, we don’t know. That’s why it’s a risk. But we have to take these risks if we want to jump to the next level. Are you ready to pay 300 million for Mbappe? We need to get them before they become great. And the other type of proven guy like Zaha don’t move the needle.

But by buying this guy now we may be excluding ourselves from buying the ready to go 25 year old when they become available in January or next summer.

We’ve gone in on Saka, Ødegaard, Martinelli, Nketiah, ESR, Vieira, there’s Marquinhos and Lokonga. I just don’t think there’s any more room at the inn.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
It seems like the management are following the script from Wengers early reign.

Wenger bought a mix of young and/or unproven talents & also known players who could slot straight in.

Viera, Anelka, Fabregas, Toure, Lauren, RVP, Reyes, Clichy, Nasri, Adebayor, Walcott - unknown and/or unproven

Overmars, Petit, Henry, Gilberto, Kanu - known players slotting straight in.

We did this for years before & now we're doing it again. I'm all for it.

I feel like Lokonga and Vieira were massive mistakes, we should've gone for a reliable CM for that money
Vieira hasn't even played a minute yet and he's already a massive mistake?
Agree with the rest.

We should have accepted Roma's offer for Xhaka , kept Leno and Saliba, and use Xhaka + Lokonga + White + Ramsdale funds on starter CM(or two).

Let's wait until the end of the window, but if we don't acquire any CM and our midfield collapses during the season (and we all know it will), both Edu and Arteta should be sacked.

On-topic: I like Pino, but i'm not convinced another youngster is what we really need on the wing.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom