• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pre-season Friendly in Beijing: Arsenal vs Chelsea|22/7/17| 1240 BST|ITV1 & Arsenal Player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobP

Memri Fan
It's not really concerning

China looks like a ****hole. **** officials, **** weather, **** food and **** pitches.

With that in mind, not surprising that we struggled.

Playing young players is always good, playing them in unfamiliar positions is even better, an important part of their development.

There are still tactical question marks but I'm more annoyed at this tour bullshit. Personally, as a fan, I don't care about seeing/meeting the players, I'd much prefer them going to some secluded camp in Austria and doing everything they can to ensure they are 100% for the start of the season.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Personally, I don't, although it makes sense if there is a clear role in mind for the player and this is to gain more well rounded skills to fulfill said role. The only player to benefit is Joe Willock. And that is because he looks a natural at CM.

Nelson has benefitted somewhat too as he hasn't had to drastically alter his game. My issue is this: what's the point? If there's a goal here than I can understand it. If not, then the player may end up not being great at any role. Iwobi was close to suffering from that and still kinda is.

From what I can glean and just my imo , it's a psychological test for the youngsters , he sees the three as candidates for the first team with ANM being the closest . Think he keeps playing ANM especially out of position more to see how he/they reacts mentally , whether he can adjust under pressure , even if he gives 100 percent , whether he/they go into their shell .

ANM imo is the one who will benefit most from this little exercise if he takes it on board . His concentration and intensity were below par .

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Pre season should never worry anyone. What happens on it doesn't matter. Having said that I do think some of our experiments are pointless mind. Playing full backs at centre back, centre mids at centre back etc. Sounds good on paper,learn the game, understanding their own natural position through a different lens etc etc.

For that lesson to sink in you need more than 90 minutes you need dozens of games for that understanding and since the player is never gonna play there anyway then it makes that understanding all the more pointless. Given the opportunity young talent should go in with their proper position and use what they know and learn more than they know against proper pros. So that when they have to step up they have all their own experience and that 90 minutes where they can remember Jesus this was normally a walk in the park at under 21s but that day was so difficult rather than thinking God that last time I played Chelsea was so difficult that's cause you played CB and have never done that before. You'll be grand in your normal position. Reality check. You won't.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It's not really concerning

China looks like a ****hole. **** officials, **** weather, **** food and **** pitches.

With that in mind, not surprising that we struggled.

Playing young players is always good, playing them in unfamiliar positions is even better, an important part of their development.

There are still tactical question marks but I'm more annoyed at this tour bullshit. Personally, as a fan, I don't care about seeing/meeting the players, I'd much prefer them going to some secluded camp in Austria and doing everything they can to ensure they are 100% for the start of the season.
Wenger never liked leaving Europe in pre season and previously never did. This is a marketing and board decision and also good experience for the EL away days possibly to places we've never heard of. Middle of nowhere Europe has got to be easier than China. It's also nice for foreign Gooners. I'm glad it's done. Roll on next weekend.

BobP

Memri Fan
Wenger never liked leaving Europe in pre season and previously never did. This is a marketing and board decision and also good experience for the EL away days possibly to places we've never heard of. Middle of nowhere Europe has got to be easier than China. It's also nice for foreign Gooners. I'm glad it's done. Roll on next weekend.

Wenger's 100% correct.

It's a shame, football should be about football, not this commercial nonsense.

It's all very tedious.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Thank you mods for removing that abuse.

Shame, shame shame on @Jury and @goonerwarsh for endorsing that foul mouthed rant. And the season hasn't even started yet.
Hardly 'abuse', I'd say. At least the post had context. There are still posts in threads that are calling me a ******. Still there, from a poster that's been banned before and still carries on. Mods don't seem to give a **** about that... A poster who's posts you endorse... So when in Rome... ;)

I'm thinking of making a new account with username 'Vile abusive angry internet loser' so I can creep under the radar. Seems to work for him... Maybe we both should eh?

Last edited:

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
need a joe willock thread fast!

as MutableEarth pointed out, he looks a natural CM there, much more than Zelalem or Toral did who struggled a bit with the physical/challenge/defensive side. Little joey actually owned Kante a couple of times, looks a real gem.

has a bit of song about him, in a good sense! the casual, nonchalant manner in which he does whatever the fcuk he wants to with the ball, just protecting the ball from the pressing by his physique and technique.

EDIT:
love that sliding tackle on the diving c*** at 48 seconds.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
need a joe willock thread fast!

as MutableEarth pointed out, he looks a natural CM there, much more than Zelalem or Toral did who struggled a bit with the physical/challenge/defensive side. Little joey actually owned Kante a couple of times, looks a real gem.

has a bit of song about him, in a good sense! the casual, nonchalant manner in which he does whatever the fcuk he wants to with the ball, just protecting the ball from the pressing by his physique and technique.

EDIT:
love that sliding tackle on the diving c*** at 48 seconds.
He's a really well rounded talent. Has the same trait as his brothers in that he has impeccable control of not just the ball but his body and the space around him. Can use technique as well as physicality to shield possession. He must be around 6 foot now. That's a good height for a midfielder to develop some power.

He's got a lot of improving to do but he looks very good for a 17 year old playing against older opponents, especially given he has barely played at U23 level. Not gonna do a thread just yet! Let's wait and see how things pan out. He has another chance to impress in the Emirates Cup. If he does then I'm sure to make a thread.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Eh? He's 17 as well? ffs.
He'll be 18 next month. I think the main point is that he is the only one who hasn't really played U23 football like the others. He is further behind in his development in comparison to someone like Nelson who became a regular U23 the day he turned 16. Willock's been the mainstay of the U18s, playing #10 ahead of McGuane and Dasilva. This is a big jump for him and pretty much guarantees regular U23 football at the very least.

Nketiah played a lot of U18 football last season aswell but he has already been playing and scoring at U23 level.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He'll be 18 next month. I think the main point is that he is the only one who hasn't really played U23 football like the others. He is further behind in his development in comparison to someone like Nelson who became a regular U23 the day he turned 16. Willock's been the mainstay of the U18s, playing #10 ahead of McGuane and Dasilva. This is a big jump for him and pretty much guarantees regular U23 football at the very least.

Nketiah played a lot of U18 football last season aswell but he has already been playing and scoring at U23 level.
'
That's interesting he hasn't played U23's because the first two games in Aus he was pretty proficient playing between the lines even Ox is so-so at his age .

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Imagine being a Willock.

All started at Arsenal, one plays for Benfica, one Man U and the other Arsenal.

Fair play.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Hardly 'abuse', I'd say. At least the post had context. There are still posts in threads that are calling me a ******. Still there, from a poster that's been banned before and still carries on. Mods don't seem to give a **** about that... A poster who's posts you endorse... So when in Rome... ;)

I'm thinking of making a new account with username 'Vile abusive angry internet loser' so I can creep under the radar. Seems to work for him... Maybe we both should eh?
Ideas and wit, not hate and spit.
If you've been called a ******
Can see how it would rancour
But don't change your name from Jury
Cos you're hanging on to fury
And if you split because you're pissed
You just might be sorely missed

What the f*** happened AM's rapper guy anyway, I'm missing him.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Thanks @MutableEarth !

What is your opinion on Maitland-Niles, why is Wenger so fascinated by him (other than versatility i guess)? my opinion of him is that his ceiling is slightly better version of coq - better feet and passing, more mobile thus able to play more positions. how do you think he'll fair in dmf, his tackling, concentration, reading of the game?

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Watching the mostly Real Madrid team B playing against Man U in the second half. They know what they're doing and what their roles are. That's what I found missing in the Chelsea game, especially. They're obviously higher quality, but that's not what I'm as impressed about, but the team ethos and game plan. Pre-season or not, a top team should have an identity. Granted, it's not so much about the result, but the process, fitness and lessons learnt, and thus far, all I have are a bunch of question marks and a hope that we'll suddenly look that much better in a few weeks. We really have to hit the ground running.

scytheavatar

Established Member
From what I can glean and just my imo , it's a psychological test for the youngsters , he sees the three as candidates for the first team with ANM being the closest . Think he keeps playing ANM especially out of position more to see how he/they reacts mentally , whether he can adjust under pressure , even if he gives 100 percent , whether he/they go into their shell .

ANM imo is the one who will benefit most from this little exercise if he takes it on board . His concentration and intensity were below par .

Problem is that Maitland Niles has been played out of position like since years ago, he is played as a right back, number 8, winger, and now center back..... this constant shifting of position is fine and normal for young players but sooner or latter it has to stop. We need to find a position for Maitland Niles and tell him to stick to mastering that position. Otherwise it's affecting his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Latest posts

Top Bottom