• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJJ

Established Member
maybe he should have tried harder on the actual transfer spend and the players he is getting for money (ie being a football manager) than worrying about net spend quite frankly....
Cant see the value in players like Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers, Perez, Gabriel that we have bought recently. Its kind of a double edged sword, how well Wenger has done to not spend all this money and scrape "success" not much great accountancy or football management in that is there. My suggestion, perhaps observation is that he has long since stopped behaving like a football manager and seems more obsessed with accountancy and money, his own pride and legacy as regards what happens on the pitch. Its a myth that he is this great footballing man and somehow a purist of the beautiful game first and foremost. Most of what seems to happen with his input at the club resolves around maximising profitability, accounting and balancing that with doing a good job (Ill admit that) of finding a way to placate the fans with cup wins and taking pressure off the board basically a highly paid human shield. I dont think all of that is an unfair statement.
While i agree on alot of the things you say, i feel like you missed my point.. the whole point of the original post was that Guardiola has been given practically unlimited funds in a really short timeframe.

Give the same ridiculous amount of money to any top6 manager in the league and i'd argue they could challenge for the title as well.

There's something really unlikable about Pep. I don't just mean as a manager who has yet to prove he can do well without unlimited funds, but just when he speaks, the way he comes across. He has this "holier than thou" attitude and its really irritating.

Mourinho is just a complete sociopath, Conte is a stereotypical, ̶l̶o̶u̶d̶ "passionate" Italian and I sometimes get the feeling that both Wenger and Klopp have like aspergers or something. But I can tolerate them. Dare i say it, Pochetino is probably the most normal one of the top 6 managers.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger's press conference was very dignified. The witch hunt continues though.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

While i agree on alot of the things you say, i feel like you missed my point.. the whole point of the original post was that Guardiola has been given practically unlimited funds in a really short timeframe.

Give the same ridiculous amount of money to any top6 manager in the league and i'd argue they could challenge for the title as well.
Shhhhhhhhh people don't want to hear that bro. You and your truth.

Yeah, its too early to start saying Wenger out. Lets see how the new signings get on. Im not being sarcastic. I think there is potential to get a good run going, perhaps after this game with City.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Which witch hunt?
The witch hunt of a manager who gets to the final of a cup competition by beating Chelsea over two legs, whose won 3 of his last 4 cup finals at Wembley in the last 5 years, whose up against the richest team ever assembled in history but who has won less recent trophies than Wenger despite all their money, who gets a better xG in the game and whose team creates yet misses the best opportunity of the game, where the opposition only get three shots on target

. . . but he's told he runs a team of spineless cowards and he ought to consider his job. That witch hunt.

samshere

Why so serieuse?

No ones really comparing Wenger to Guardiola though, they're comparing him to Poch and Klopp. If we do a squad cost + wages comparison, Liverpool and Tottenham have the nearest spend to ours and Wenger is third in that three team mini league - for the second season running, and I'm not even including chelsea. Guardiola and Mourinho are operating in a tier of their own and all we can say for sure is that Pep is better than Mourinho.

Wenger's comment re: "I turned down the whole world for 21 years" makes it sound like he thinks the reporters are asking him if HE is gonna decide whether he stays or leaves lol. It's like Wenger is telling them they're stupid for thinking he would ever decide to not honour his contract. It would be quite funny if that's the case.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

The witch hunt of a manager who gets to the final of a cup competition by beating Chelsea over two legs, whose won 3 of his last 4 cup finals at Wembley in the last 5 years, whose up against the richest team ever assembled in history but who has won less recent trophies than Wenger despite all their money, who gets a better xG in the game and whose team creates yet misses the best opportunity of the game, where the opposition only get three shots on target

. . . but he's told he runs a team of spineless cowards and he ought to consider his job. That witch hunt.

A well known fact that cannot be disputed.

There's no witch hunt, just a rather drawn out public discussion regarding the position of a man who we all thought undisputed, at one point, becoming increasingly untenable.

It's just that his obstinacy makes him oblivious to the harsh reality facing both the club & himself.

Seriously, the shallower the brook the more it babbles!! This ridiculously inept manager (clearly not a coach) sitting way down in 6th isn't 'up against' the richest team ever assembled league-wise as we're not even CLOSE & they had a shocker in that secondary level final. You give wenger the same amount of money and he'd STILL stuff it up defensively & tactically. He's well & truly lost it in attack yrs ago as well!

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Just to be clear, this is not AFTV.

The whole vid is relevant but if you want a fun bit, start at 4.20 to see what normal guys on the streets say.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
No. Just... No. Not true at all. You seriously think building teams that are capable of being consistent and professional while remaining harmonious, is as simple as buying names? Well you and @Making Trax might. I can almost understand the latter thinking that way :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom