• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I mean there's always posh boy cricket. Just remember it's a joke to most colonised countries apart from India, Pakistan and Australia.
Add the West Indies, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and now Afghanistan to that list. Love to see the posh boys in Afghanistan.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Add the West Indies, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and now Afghanistan to that list. Love to see the posh boys in Afghanistan.
Afghanistan have the oldest looking 18yr old playing for them, looks about 40.

OSBK

Established Member
Thought alot about this today. I get to see arsenal 6-7 times a season these days, if this super league goes ahead then its unlikely i will get to see them again. I have 2 schools of thought on this.

1- it is the natural progression for elite football. A fantasy league with fantasy teams. I certainly wont complain when we play barca one week and real the next. Its a damn sight better than playing burnley away and then fulham at home. Whilst in the short term it will harm the domestic leagues the big plus side is that teams will get the chance to challenge for a league again. All those fans complaining from low to mid teams certainly wont be complaining when they have a shot at winning the league. If the likes of leeds, villa, newcastle and many more can move forward alittle then it would be a seriously entertaining. The premier league still has a big big draw even with the 6 gone, the oppurtinity for "sleeping big clubs" is huge. This would be the best time to merge scotland and england leagues as well. For arsenal the potential revenue would be amazing and overnight we would be challenging for the best players in the world again.

2- the impact it would have on me as a fan of football. I cant see psg and bayern not signing up for this. If the idea is for a super league then it has to be targeted at the american and asian market, likely to be subscription or PPV the americans and asian market will have no problem. For the UK market for which viewing figures will be tiny compared to a potential world market, it will another big cost to watch a free game to play. The super league will not be a working mans game, it will be for the richer people to attend.

Overall, the prospect of seeing arsenal compete at a elite level is my dream. The overall cost to fans to watch from a telly will likely be mammoth. If i were a leeds or everton fan i would be jumping, overnight you go from never competeing with city to having a real chance to win the league.

LG10

Football is embedded in tradition and incredibly resistant to change, look how long it took to embed simple goal line technology. I have fears over the esl but honestly it could be entertaining. Football has gotten stale, evolution is good.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Football sold it out. We sold our club to American so we are big part of the problem. So are man u and Liverpool. If the yanks get their way rest of the teams should be like a G League where the top 16 draft the best players from those clubs.

Its possible the owners have misunderstood what the fans want. We want competition! If there is a league where all teams are safe each season, part of the passion will be lost, and so too will the interest of the fans. Any league is nothing without the fans. I for one would seriously look at supporting a team in the PL and keep a smaller interest in how Arsenal are doing. Its possible that interest would lessen over time, especially with us never winning the ESL.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Think somebody already mentioned a salary cap so there is a potential that things work better. But yeah, hard to say how everything would work out

I apologize in advance. I'm going to write a lot. I get that everybody is on this kick of blaming Americans and what not which has been funny to read over these pages however a salary cap would fix a lot of these problems.

Figuring out a way to institute a salary cap is the best way to fix the transfer market inflation and the spending advantages these "Big 6" clubs have over others. Small clubs earn promotion and get miniscule payments to stay in the league. Smaller clubs may have a good season or two and get UCL berths which add another miniscule payment to the club for buying players. This money is very small overall in terms of retooling squads with player purchases. It's not sustainable with the inflated fees in the market.

The way the NFL does it, is that the teams pay a fee to be a part of the NFL as a collective and this money gets added to a pot. This pot can be used to assist teams whose owners do not have as much money as say a Jerry Jones - the league can loan this money out to the "cash poor" teams to assist them rebuilding/improving their stadiums and/or buying new stadiums. The revenue generated from TV deals, sponsorsing, and merchandise also go into a pot that is to be shared equally across all teams. There is a salary cap where you cannot spend over it - if you circumvent it you will get fined and face punishment. There is also a salary floor that you must spend a minimum amount on your team every season. This way the have nots will still have a chance against the haves.

There really isn't a better way to create parity. The purists of footy or whatever say they don't want this SL and want things to be the old way but the old way was corrupted by the rich over the past 20 years. There is no parity at the moment other than between 3-4 teams every season. Everybody says how the sport is dull, boring, and dying - yet they want it to remain this way for some odd reason.

The ESL is ridiculous but the hope here is that people wake the **** up and change the way things are ran. We need to bring the little guys back to the competition other than hoping to wade through seasons and survive while Man U, City, Chelsea, Pool compete for the title every year. That's boring.

The challenge is - how the hell do you institute a salary cap across European leagues? Can UEFA or whatever governing body force that? Can they retool FFP and actually make it a legitimate punishment rather than a tax haven type of slaps on wrists?

TL;DR - The sport has been dying for two decades now and there needs to be widespread changes so hopefully this forces discussions on how to correct what's wrong.

Anyone thinking this is linked to the timing of the death of Prince Philip and Trump leaving as the president. Feels like this is when the Queen is at her weakest and can't stop any of this.

It's like when Thanos waited until Óðinn and the ancient one were dead before striking against the Avengers.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

This is a win-win situation for Arsenal. Either this thing happens or the government force out Kroenke and us lot take over.
I think we will be a small club forever in this super league. Atleast as long as kroenke is here. We literally have nothing elseto worry about financially anymore. Kroenke never has any sporting ambition, so that wont change. Our last hope was him spending to get to CL to make money and now this is gone. We will be the laughing stock of this new league. The game where team rest their star players when playing us lool

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom