• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'm not seeing it with Maddison. I don't see what he'd offer us. We aren't a counter attacking side or a side who has players that make runs in behind into space. We need a player who can probe at defences and pick a killer pass.

Could excuse the fact Maddison isn't a natural playmaker if his workrate was better, or his dribbling was better, but its not. He's just not a 50m+ player.

He picked plenty of good passes today. I like him, huge room for improvement as well.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I'm not seeing it with Maddison. I don't see what he'd offer us. We aren't a counter attacking side or a side who has players that make runs in behind into space. We need a player who can probe at defences and pick a killer pass.

Could excuse the fact Maddison isn't a natural playmaker if his workrate was better, or his dribbling was better, but its not. He's just not a 50m+ player.
He can do Ramsey like stuff eg making clever runs into the box for goals (Maddison really improved this last season). I think that helps in a lot of games where the opposition is parking the bus and we can’t seem to fashion a chance.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
He can do Ramsey like stuff eg making clever runs into the box for goals (Maddison really improved this last season). I think that helps in a lot of games where the opposition is parking the bus and we can’t seem to fashion a chance.
He hasn't got the physical attributes Ramsey had. Tbh, few midfielders can do what Ramsey done, its a gift, a sense of where to be in the box. Gundogan does it, Willock does it, but unfortunately he doesn't fit into a 4231.

Also, im pretty sure he's scored more goals from outside the box than inside.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He hasn't got the physical attributes Ramsey had. Tbh, few midfielders can do what Ramsey done, its a gift, a sense of where to be in the box. Gundogan does it, Willock does it, but unfortunately he doesn't fit into a 4231.

Also, im pretty sure he's scored more goals from outside the box than inside.
Last season he scored a lot of ‘clever’ goals. A bit of a departure from what his reputation tells you.

I’m pretty sure he got into the box with clever unmarked runs to score some of his goals. He was getting really good at it then got injured.

There’s room for improvement with this guy, he certainly showed it last season. I think he has good football IQ and isn’t just limited to being a long shot merchant like maybe Coutinho was. My only concern is his fitness issues.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Last season he scored a lot of ‘clever’ goals. A bit of a departure from what his reputation tells you.

I’m pretty sure he got into the box with clever unmarked runs to score some of his goals. He was getting really good at it then got injured.

There’s room for improvement with this guy, he certainly showed it last season. I think he has good football IQ and isn’t just limited to being a long shot merchant like maybe Coutinho was. My only concern is his fitness issues.
Agree, there was an improvement last season, but getting in the box for Leicester is different from getting in the box for Arsenal. We build up so slow that we are playing against a deep block. Leicester attack at pace, stretch teams and create space for runners.

Maddison wouldn't be a bad signing, but for me, he won't be as good as some think. I'd still much prefer Ødegaard who i think has top class potential.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Agree, there was an improvement last season, but getting in the box for Leicester is different from getting in the box for Arsenal. We build up so slow that we are playing against a deep block. Leicester attack at pace, stretch teams and create space for runners.

Maddison wouldn't be a bad signing, but for me, he won't be as good as some think. I'd still much prefer Ødegaard who i think has top class potential.
Maybe he can adapt to us, that’s what good players do. Who knows maybe it ends up suiting him more due to the way teams set up, letting him get on the ball more too.

I like Ødegaard too. I would be happy with either him or Maddison albeit them being different players. I have faith that if Maddison was to let’s say stay fit for his first 2 seasons here, he wouldn’t be far off 15-20 goals in the PL in that time. Goals are something we need in this side especially with Auba faltering and it not being Laca’s best attribute.

Also, it would be wrong to expect a lot of goals from Saka and ESR (although Pepe needs to step up in that regard this season). Maddison scores us goals from midfield. When you combine that with ESR slowly getting into better scoring positions I think we can score the amount of goals needed for a side competing for Europe.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member

Isnt Maddison part of the transition though?

hargun55

I'm a reader and never a poster, but can't hold back any longer... Arsenal supporter since Charlie George Cup final in 71.. but never ceases to amaze me how delusional posters in here are.. in the name of God why would any young player with the potential of someone like Maddison or Laurentis sign for us at the present time, worid at their feet, pick of clubs with potential to play in champions league, etc etc... never been so delusioned in all my time supporting this club..but mid table mediocrity seems to be what is the norm for the foreseeable future

Gunner-Union

I'm a reader and never a poster, but can't hold back any longer... Arsenal supporter since Charlie George Cup final in 71.. but never ceases to amaze me how delusional posters in here are.. in the name of God why would any young player with the potential of someone like Maddison or Laurentis sign for us at the present time, worid at their feet, pick of clubs with potential to play in champions league, etc etc... never been so delusioned in all my time supporting this club..but mid table mediocrity seems to be what is the norm for the foreseeable future

It’s a job and we pay more in wages and tbh we still win things albeit Fa cup. Bigger profile also but at the end of the day $$$$$

Gunner-Union

He’s says he’s an 8 or CM. Is that a position he can play and I’m asking about the defensive side? I know he can pass and make runs from deep with and without the ball.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Maddison doesnt suit the current system played by Rodgers with 2 strikers, also £££, also he doesnt always get along with Rodgers.

Fortunately he doesnt have a pick of clubs, look at the top 4:
City - not a hope is he getting in there plus theyre spending everything theyve left on Kane
Utd - Fernandez is their no.1 and they just blew their budget on Sancho
Chelsea - they have Haevertz and Mount (also Ziyech) - dont think theyll go for Maddison now
Liverpool - doesnt suit their setup at all - could go there but it seems unlikely Liverpool of all clubs would spend 60-70 million + on Maddison

We're essentially a best of the rest where he probably sees himself as the difference maker between us getting champions league and not. We're not as bad a squad as made out either, especially if you stick him in the team.

Hes 24 - given a 5 year contract that will make him way more money right now and he can still move after a couple of years if we're not doing great. It also gives him a good possibility of starting for England if he is playing with someone like Saka who is already in the team.

If he is as good as for us as hes been for Leicester we would definitely be contender for top 4 spot this year, and he surely backs himself to do it.

As for Laurentis I dont see it happening either.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Because the club can pay them far more than their current club. Football is a job and the idea that neither would turn us down is laughable. And no other teams want them

D

Dial Square 1886

Partey is a top player. Tierney is a top player?

This is our definition of top player now is it?

Christ.

Nothing against either, but both spent more time on treatment table than pitch.

To be fair to Tierney, when he has played he has looked pretty good (going forward anyway, about as ****e defensively as all our players).

Partey has it all the prove and not getting any younger either.

D

Dial Square 1886

Tbf Partey was a top player before he came to Arsenal. Funny that.

He certainly looked better in Simeone's system, that is for sure!

None of the big clubs interested at 50 mil release clause though for some reason?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Please shut up about Partey. Guy looked quality in pre season now he's FIT. Key word there is fit. He was injured for half the season and never looked fully fit. Looks excellent now and will be excellent after the international break.

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
In 3 seasons, Maddison has missed 16 PL games....Not all through injury, some due to poor form.

In 3 seasons, Aubameyang has missed 13.
In 3 seasons, Xhaka has missed 23.
In 2 seasons, Tierney has missed 34.
In 2 seasons, Pepe has missed 16.
In 1 season, Partey has missed 14.
In 1 season, Gabriel has missed 15.

Maddison being injury prone is a bit of a myth really, especially in comparison to the above.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom