• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

4 Years

Anzac

Established Member
Captain said:
Who was talking about throwing the FA cup?

Sorry - I know you didn't say that but your comments implied that to do as AW did in the S/F was fine because the FA Cup doesn't matter anymore. I have no issues if we finish empty handed if we can saw we did our best on & off the pitch - that didn't happen this season & this was not this first time.

DC Gunner

Established Member
Captain said:
Pepe LeFrits said:
Every time?

twice on sunday.

The FA cup is an irrelevance in the terms of the growth of the club. Champions league football every season is imperative to where we want to be as a club; the FA cup is just a trinket in comparison.
I would agree with you only if the situation was to choose between them, in other words if playing an FA cup game will get in the way of securing CL football/title , then yeah, otherwise, it is a cop out.

Anzac

Established Member
DC Gunner said:
Captain said:
Pepe LeFrits said:
Every time?

twice on sunday.

The FA cup is an irrelevance in the terms of the growth of the club. Champions league football every season is imperative to where we want to be as a club; the FA cup is just a trinket in comparison.
I would agree with you only if the situation was to choose between them, in other words if playing an FA cup game will get in the way of securing CL football/title , then yeah, otherwise, it is a cop out.

BINGO!!!!

Captain

Established Member
"that maybe the case on a year on year basis.....But if we had a choice of winning the FA Cup and finishing 5th and finishing 4th and winning nothing I would take the the trophy"

This was what I was replying to and nobody seems to disagree with what I said.

Nothing to see here. :wink:

AliBabaBrewer

scytheavatar said:
hujja said:
kooldawg said:
Cheer up lads, Next seasons ours!!!! :D

But we said that last season.

And the season before that.

We're turning into Spuds. :shock:

Next season we will have Arshavin. And Song starting for us instead of that useless Denilson. That 2 are reasons enough why we'll be doing much better next season. Eduardo coming back to full fitness will be an even bigger boast. As long as we don't lose any players this summer I believe our next season will be bright.

And Senderos is back!

alonso14

Established Member
but I am not talking about this from the standpoint of being a club employee or an accountant

I am coming at it from a fans standpoint....

If I list the best days of my footballing watching life......FA Cup finals would be right up there.......the final day qualifying for the CL are not.....Watching your team is all about a series of moments, not long term planning..........

my memorable moments watching Liverpool invariably involve winning a trophy or getting to finals.....

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
scytheavatar said:
Next season we will have Arshavin. And Song starting for us instead of that useless Denilson. That 2 are reasons enough why we'll be doing much better next season. Eduardo coming back to full fitness will be an even bigger boast. As long as we don't lose any players this summer I believe our next season will be bright.
If that's supposed to fill me with unreserved confidence, it doesn't.

Lord Dula

Established Member
4th place atleast really should be a given for a team striving to win silverware.

Last nights defeat was worse than others of late, simply because there wasnt even a hint of undeservedness about it, unlike in previous failings.

Glovegun

Established Member
Beany said:
alonso14 said:
i wasnt going to post here today as I dont think that my presence is needed in the Arsenal forum

However, I cant let the comment about 4th spot being a trophy and the FA Cup not countng anymore

what a lot of bollox

you watch your team week in week out and the ultimate reward for that loyalty is to see your captain lift some silverware...

In 2001 people were saying that they would rather finish in a CL place, than win the UEFA Cup....oh yes, I always reminisce about beating Charlton than Alaves in Dortmund....do I bollocks

Let the acountants worry about the money, give me a trophy anyday

QFT.

I had something approaching an an epiphany at the Chelsea game, much as I did when we went down to Nayim's wonderfluke in Paris in 95 and for the first time since - something has to change at Arsenal.

Of course, Liverpool won't win anything this season either but you can feel optimistic, at least, because you have built a spine for the team around which success can and probably to some extent at least, will follow, plus you have won a couple of trophies these past few years, CL included.

It was obvious in Paris that the Graham era was well and truly at an end (of course he'd left a few months prior) and the squad as was was going nowhere.

Much as I love Wenger his stupid f****g experiment has got to end, its also going nowhere. The players he bought 3 years ago clearly haven't and aren't going to grow into the spine he hoped for. He can either start again, bar maybe 5 or six players (personally I don't he hasn't got the time for that) or break the habit of a lifetime and but a Barry, or even Alonso if what I hear aboout Rafa is true, a central Defender and a proper striker to replace the lanky lazy arrogant ****. Those three, taken with what would be left following a minature clearout, will give us a chance moving forwards.

True. Its going nowhere. He's done well to bring through the likes of Fabregas, Walcott, Djourou, Clichy and Song, and to pick up other good players on the cheap (Almunia, Sagna, Eduardo) but we need world-class players now. Our squad doesnt even BEGIN to match up to Uniteds.

Captain

Established Member
alonso14 said:
but I am not talking about this from the standpoint of being a club employee or an accountant

I am coming at it from a fans standpoint....

If I list the best days of my footballing watching life......FA Cup finals would be right up there.......the final day qualifying for the CL are not.....Watching your team is all about a series of moments, not long term planning..........

my memorable moments watching Liverpool invariably involve winning a trophy or getting to finals.....

Fair enough. I disagree with your point of view, I wasn't saying that it wrong.

From this fans standpoint I get more pleasure from us challenging the best in the world on a regular basis than lifting what I would consider a minor domestic trophy.

The knock on effect of being able to attract and watch some of the best players in the world on a regular basis is something that I also would put above lifting the FA cup. The FA cup doesn't hold that prestige on a global scale anymore.

henry79

Wenger couldnt even win the CL when we had the invincibles we never got to a semi final with that team!!! what does this say about him?! I really think he is tactically inept atleast then we were winning our domestic cups but now after selling our best players and not replacing them properly we are not even competing, well apart from last season but look how that ended.

I am starting to believe we will not win another trophy under him again.

hackajack

Established Member
Captain said:
From this fans standpoint I get more pleasure from us challenging the best in the world on a regular basis than lifting what I would consider a minor domestic trophy.

The knock on effect of being able to attract and watch some of the best players in the world on a regular basis is something that I also would put above lifting the FA cup. The FA cup doesn't hold that prestige on a global scale anymore.
I think we'd all have been happy to trot off to Wembley and win the FA cup this season, that doesn't change the fact that it's small potatoes these days.

Biggus

Established Member
Fair play to you Captain you've stuck around to defend your beliefs at a time when others have gone underground.

marco

alonso14 said:
i wasnt going to post here today as I dont think that my presence is needed in the Arsenal forum

However, I cant let the comment about 4th spot being a trophy and the FA Cup not countng anymore

what a lot of bollox

you watch your team week in week out and the ultimate reward for that loyalty is to see your captain lift some silverware...

In 2001 people were saying that they would rather finish in a CL place, than win the UEFA Cup....oh yes, I always reminisce about beating Charlton than Alaves in Dortmund....do I bollocks

Let the acountants worry about the money, give me a trophy anyday[/

i was gutted when we lost to chelsea and even more gutted in 2001 when liverpool beat us in the final
but we are all taking a very short sighted of football if we keep telling the acocuntants worry about the money and the fans the trophies.

if man utd arsenal or lvierpool didnt make top 4 it would send ripples through the club...we could win fa cup calring cup every year it wouldnt make the blind bit of notice to the senior management of clubs.

waht matters every year is guaranteeing top 4..-sad but true and that wengers 100% aim every year as is benitez..
for clubs lower down the scale the most important thing is premiership survival above fa cup and carling cups..

i like the away games in fa cup to cardiff burnley etc dont get me wrong just think the first judge of success for any seaosn is 4th place+ yep you dont get a trophy but its worth a hell of a lot more to the players+ finance guys then any fa cup or worthless cup win

Viking

polo

Marco Polo said:
i was gutted when we lost to chelsea and even more gutted in 2001 when liverpool beat us in the final
but we are all taking a very short sighted of football if we keep telling the acocuntants worry about the money and the fans the trophies.

Why is that short sighted exactly?

Anzac

Established Member
There are 4 competitions we have been involved in each year - the EPL, CL & 2 domestic Cups. Granted the EPL & CL are the Big Cheese, but of the 16 titles up for grabs these past 4 years we've won how many????????

Anzac

Established Member
Another thing that is going to give me the screaming ****s, is that at the end of this season AW is going to qualify it as having been a success & an improvement on last season, so we are improving & on the right track..........

and for anyone who buys into that then I have shares on a bridge in Sydney that I'd invite you to invest in as well............

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
We'll have one more year of experience under the belt, so that's a plus. Oh, and I'll take 500 of those shares thanks.

Anzac

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
We'll have one more of experience under the belt, so that's a plus. Oh, and I'll take 500 of those shares thanks.

No worries mate....there's another one over in Auckland if that's more convenient for you?????????

can't get the damned smilie to work!!!!!!!!!

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom