• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

number_0

Established Member
what about the other cardiff kid?
joe lesley or something, i was more impressed by him in the FA cup final.

asajoseph

Established Member
That's Joe Ledley - he's not as young as Ramsey though.

Decent player, but probably not good enough to make it at a top 4 club.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
We was linked to Ledley about a year or two back. Left footed winger but as Asa said, not good enough for a top 4 club

gunner_down_under

andyswafc said:
Well if this 4/5 English players in your team is going to come in, in a few years. He will be an ideal signing.

If this rule that 4/11 players on the starting 11 should be English, Wenger would start with Theo and 3 other 12-yr olds, and make a triple substitution around 3.45 seconds into the game.

The man doesn't like English players, the sooner we realize that, the better

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Oh, right (see below), so this is a UEFA vs FIFA stoush, my bad. But the EU is more on board with the homegrown definition as the basis of any restrictions; I wouldn't have a problem with that I don't think, but I'm not sure what difference it would really make except ensuring that you train (and keep) some of your own players.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... ifa430.xml

longrufus

Established Member
Sorry mate, but you've read that completely wrong, the 6+5 rule is completely different from the home grown rule.

Spidla said: "Compared with the intentions announced by Fifa to impose the so-called 'six-plus-five rule', which is directly discriminatory and therefore incompatible with the EU law, the "home-grown players" rule proposed by Uefa seems to me to be proportionate and to comply with the principle of free movement of workers."

Glovegun

Established Member
I dont think its a case of Ramsey necessarily being a signing for now - I just think Wenger recognizes his talent and that if he doesnt get him now he never will. Its a waiting game. As soon as one club makes a move they all will.

Also, dont be so sure that United will outmuscle us. If theres one thing Wenger will pay top dollar for its talented kids. He's shown before that hes perfectly willing to pay over the odds for 'wunderkids' - I wouldnt be surprised if he goes as high as £10m. Sounds ludicrous I know, but look at Theo. We fought off interest from top clubs for Senderos, and I'd imagine that there was a lot of interest in the likes of Vela, and Nasri if we get him. Ferguson might like the look of Ramsey, but he doesnt have to buy youth like Wenger does, he can afford the finished article. Anderson, Carrick and Hargreaves will be around for some years yet.

I reckon we'll get him. He wont play much though, and the press will complain a hell of a lot. But he'll come good (whoever he plays for).

GaelForce22

Established Member
qs said:
Thats bollox, Rio as good as he's been was still over priced. And none of the clubs you've mentioned have come close to spending what United have. Check the balance at Clubs like Liverpool, Sp**s, etc check their wage bills. They're not in the same ballpark.

Fergies spent big money well, can't deny that but he's had it to spend and who else has had that? Just Chelsea but there you don't even make your own decisions.

Fergies never been great at picking up real bargains and turning them into stars. I can't think of anyone who you could see as an example of how he's done well since the Fergies Fledglings era. He was convinced the likes of Kleberson and Djemba Djemba were the next big stars.

I don't know how Fergie would do with Ramsey, I don't know what he'd do with him. I know pretty much exactly what Wenger would do. He'd bring him along as he's done with Fabregas and as he's doing with Theo. Theres a clear process there and Ramsey would get chances here.

Sorry to go back off topic but frankly that was ridiculous. At the height of Chelsea's domination (January 2006), Fergie went out and bought Evra and Vidic relatively cheaply. I'm not sure of the exact amounts but it was don't think either cost more than £8mil. How much more than that have they proved to be worth in two and a half seasons? Not too mention one of the best bargain signings in the history of the Premiership, Eric Cantona. Or getting Van Der Sar for £2 million. Solved probably there biggest problem position over the previous 3,4 years. Six Alex really is the best of the best.

And back on topic, what exactly would Aaron Ramsey bring to Arsenal that we don't already have. From what I can gather he is an excellent passer (like eyeryone else in our midfield) who plays best in the central midfield but can 'do a job' out on the wing (like the rest of our wingers). He is considered to be someone who would be one of the league's top central midfielders in 4,5 years time (as is Cesc, Diaby and Denilson). I just don't think he is the type of player we need. And it doesn't make sense to me that we can't waste any money at all on wages or top transfers yet everytime there is a new (wonder)kid on the block, we are up at the top of the bidding.

qs

Established Member
GaelForce22 said:
qs said:
Thats bollox, Rio as good as he's been was still over priced. And none of the clubs you've mentioned have come close to spending what United have. Check the balance at Clubs like Liverpool, Sp**s, etc check their wage bills. They're not in the same ballpark.

Fergies spent big money well, can't deny that but he's had it to spend and who else has had that? Just Chelsea but there you don't even make your own decisions.

Fergies never been great at picking up real bargains and turning them into stars. I can't think of anyone who you could see as an example of how he's done well since the Fergies Fledglings era. He was convinced the likes of Kleberson and Djemba Djemba were the next big stars.

I don't know how Fergie would do with Ramsey, I don't know what he'd do with him. I know pretty much exactly what Wenger would do. He'd bring him along as he's done with Fabregas and as he's doing with Theo. Theres a clear process there and Ramsey would get chances here.

Sorry to go back off topic but frankly that was ridiculous. At the height of Chelsea's domination (January 2006), Fergie went out and bought Evra and Vidic relatively cheaply. I'm not sure of the exact amounts but it was don't think either cost more than £8mil. How much more than that have they proved to be worth in two and a half seasons? Not too mention one of the best bargain signings in the history of the Premiership, Eric Cantona. Or getting Van Der Sar for £2 million. Solved probably there biggest problem position over the previous 3,4 years. Six Alex really is the best of the best.

Thats not a bargain FFS. Plus he didn't unearth either player, everyone knew about them. Same goes for VDS, he just got him at the right time. We all knew how good he was. Your argument is in tatters mate.

Toure, Fabregas, Anelka, Vieira; they're real bargains.

£1.2m in 92 was plenty of money BTW so your Cantona mention was bollox too.

GaelForce22

Established Member
OK, fair enough he (Fergie) doesn't buy unknown players for less than a million pounds and then spend 2,3 years developing them. He buys players that he knows will improve his current side and help them to win trophies.

I just think that Arsène would not have done as good a job at Man Utd as Fergie (and vice versa). They are clearly two excellent managers but in two different situations that suit their strengths.

DOUBLE-YOU

qs said:
GaelForce22 said:
qs said:

Thats not a bargain FFS. Plus he didn't unearth either player, everyone knew about them. Same goes for VDS, he just got him at the right time. We all knew how good he was. Your argument is in tatters mate.

Touré, Fabregas, Anelka, Vieira; they're real bargains.

FYI we bought Andy Linighan in 1990 for £1.2m. i think it is safe to say the signing Cantona was a shrewd investment.

kel varnsen

Established Member
qs said:
GaelForce22 said:
qs said:

Touré, Fabregas, Anelka, Vieira; they're real bargains.

again, when did "spotting talent" become all about finding ridiculous bargains from god knows where in africa?

many knew of evra and vidic, but that does not change the fact that ferguson picked them up relatively cheap and they have both been massive for them. just because a player is relatively well known, does not mean he'll be an instant success when signed. it does not even mean he's any good, relatively speaking...

qs

Established Member
They weren't relatively cheap though, compared to Fergies normally ridiculous over spending they seem cheap but compared to the average Wenger buy they're pretty expensive.

I could've spotted Evra or Cantonas talent.

Theres no argument, Wenger is better at unearthing talent than Fergie, fact.

kel varnsen

Established Member
qs said:
They weren't relatively cheap though, compared to Fergies normally ridiculous over spending they seem cheap but compared to the average Wenger buy they're pretty expensive.
why compare them to any of wenger's signings?

M+D

Established Member
Arsène'S RAM RAID
ARSENAL edged closer to signing £5million Aaron Ramsey after Cardiff City’s wonderkid met Arsène Wenger in Switzerland.

Ramsey flew to Basel to meet the Arsenal manager, who faces a three-cornered fight to sign the 17-year-old midfield sensation.

Ramsey, christened Rambo by Cardiff fans, met Everton officials on Thursday and visited Manchester United’s Carrington training ground on Friday. He then flew to Switzerland on Saturday to see Wenger.

All three Premier League clubs have made written bids for Ramsey, with United promising to loan the player back to Cardiff next season. Realistically, Everton are the outsiders in the race to sign him.

Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale said: “I spoke to Aaron on Friday night.

“He told me he’d had a great day at United and was on his way to see Arsène. After that, the final decision is up to the boy.

“Aaron spoke to Sir Alex Ferguson before visiting United. He’s a sensible lad and will listen to what Arsène has to say.”

Ramsey only started his first game for Cardiff in January. He starred after coming on a sub in the FA Cup Final defeat to Portsmouth.

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom