• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Adrien Rabiot

Pies

redanddread said:
Bigbludfire said:
Good signing for next year, means jack this year imo.

quite possibly but if he was getting 20+ games for a star studded PSG team then I'm sure he could play a reasonably significant role for us by the turn of the year.

Yep think definitely would get a decent amount of games....now will he be the difference in those big games this season? Not sure. Think he is more of a project as a holding mid, but like I said earlier, he has a lot of the tools and could end up flourishing there. And could play in a B2B straight away.

Doubt we get anyone else anyway, so why not? Good talent and gives us another option and could end up becoming a massive player for us.

If the price is right.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
tap-in said:
Chambers will get some games as DM. To have him and Rabiot coming through ready to take over from Arteta & Flamini is a good plan.

they don't need replacement coming thru, they need replacement ASAP!

a solid international DM

Flamini AND Artetas skills together in one player wold suffice and you know not being shot physically

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
redanddread said:
Bigbludfire said:

quite possibly but if he was getting 20+ games for a star studded PSG team then I'm sure he could play a reasonably significant role for us by the turn of the year.

but the french league is no way near as physical as the PL, PSG can coast in alotta games, and he was playing next to some pretty solid defensive midfielders

heck I'd take any of Motta, Matuidi, Cabaey

Bigbludfire

Established Member
redanddread said:
Bigbludfire said:

I doubt it tbh. He's 6'2, but looks lightweight and I really doubt he'll displace our captain at DM.

ArseGod

This is not what we need. He might pan out, but I don't understand why we don't target an immediate upgrade

GDeep™

League is very weak
I can't find anything by Di Marzio on Rabiot, which would mean there are no credible links to him yet.

Floating

Established Member
GDeep said:
I can't find anything by Di Marzio on Rabiot, which would mean there are no credible links to him yet.

<a class="postlink" href="http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/benatia-has-many-suitors-but-no-official-offers-yet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciome ... ffers-yet/</a>

Both Di Marzio and RMC Sport (also reliable) have confirmed we're in talks.

wishful_llama

tap-in said:
wishful_llama said:
tap-in said:
Rabiot makes a lot of sense to me. It looks like Manolas will be joining as CB so that indicates Chambers will get some games as DM. To have him and Rabiot coming through ready to take over from Arteta & Flamini is a good plan.

I'm now thinking, although I probably shouldnt, if we are spending what we got for Verm on Manolas & Rabiot, that does leave the possibility of Carvani, doesnt it? :)

Can't see Chambers in the DM role. When he plays this season it'll be at CB and RB.

But if we bring Manolas in he will be 3rd CB, Bellerin looks likely to be 2nd RB, especially as he posted a pic of him with a squad No shirt. So do you think Chambers will be used as 4th CB only? I doubt it!

Chambers will be 3rd/4th choice cb (understudy for Mertesacker) and 2nd choice RB. Can't see Bellerin getting much of a look in this season if everyone is fit, still very raw and looks incredibly vulnerable defensively.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Floating said:
GDeep said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/benatia-has-many-suitors-but-no-official-offers-yet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciome ... ffers-yet/</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both Di Marzio and RMC Sport (also reliable) have confirmed we're in talks.

Thanks, I had a little look around but couldn't find anything.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
redanddread said:
Bigbludfire said:

20+ games? He played 34 games for PSG last season, he could definitely come in and play the same here including sub roles & cup games.

Goon_si

I believe there are only a handfull of top class defensive midfielders in the world, that would fit into our team, and if we are unable to get one (I think there is none available) I am more than happy to go for Rabiot, who is one of the few young ones who looks like he could become one.

Today, at a top club, defensive midfielder is not there only to protect the back 4, but also to help with build up play, have some playmaking ability, can pass with no problems. And Rabiot could be that type of DM we've been waiting for years.

Can you imagine what massive bonus this could be for out play if he can not only break up play and win balls back, but to also have the vision and technique to play as a deep lying playmaker... Hope we get him, massive talent.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I posted a good article on Rabiot on the previous page. Some of the comments I have read suggest some people are focusing on the fact that he is 19, rather than the experience he already has and the potential he has.

This is one paragraph;

Style of Play, Strengths and Weaknesses

Rabiot is capable of playing anywhere in the midfield, from the holding role to a more box to box attacking role. He can be likened to compatriot Paul Pogba, without the bulky physique. He can smoothly shift from the back to the front during the course of the match and also acts as the engine room for the team when he gets enough time in a match. His deep lying playmaker role has seen him starting some mouth-watering moves. He usually sits in the centre and operates between the defense and the attack, thus not becoming completely a defensive midfielder, which usually sees the player acting like the third central defender or a shield to the defence, or becoming an out and out attacking midfielder for the team. Instead he sits in the centre and starts play from the heart of the pitch. If Marco Verratti and Rabiot stay with the French giants, the two could make a formidable midfield pairing for PSG.

Mudi

Goon_si said:
I believe there are only a handfull of top class defensive midfielders in the world, that would fit into our team, and if we are unable to get one (I think there is none available) I am more than happy to go for Rabiot, who is one of the few young ones who looks like he could become one.

Today, at a top club, defensive midfielder is not there only to protect the back 4, but also to help with build up play, have some playmaking ability, can pass with no problems. And Rabiot could be that type of DM we've been waiting for years.

Can you imagine what massive bonus this could be for out play if he can not only break up play and win balls back, but to also have the vision and technique to play as a deep lying playmaker... Hope we get him, massive talent.

This!

He is still raw but there isn't much options left for us. Schneiderlin would be very difficult, Carvalho is the same as Rabiot (young unproven talent), Lars Bender and Khedira aren't defensive midfielders so there isn't a lot of options for us.

I think that we need a DM that is similar to Martinez, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, ... Good at breaking up plays, but also able to build the game from the back. With Flamini and Arteta, you can see that Wilshere or Ramsey needs to drop deep to gather the ball and build the attack. If you can eliminate that part of the game, you can accelerate the game speed which will allow to play fast football.

Floating

Established Member
Mudi said:
Goon_si said:

This!

He is still raw but there isn't much options left for us. Schneiderlin would be very difficult, Carvalho is the same as Rabiot (young unproven talent), Lars Bender and Khedira aren't defensive midfielders so there isn't a lot of options for us.

I think that we need a DM that is similar to Martinez, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, ... Good at breaking up plays, but also able to build the game from the back. With Flamini and Arteta, you can see that Wilshere or Ramsey needs to drop deep to gather the ball and build the attack. If you can eliminate that part of the game, you can accelerate the game speed which will allow to play fast football.

Carvalho is 3 years older than Rabiot, much more physically robust (suited to the PL), and has international experience. Also Rabiot is just as much a defensive midfielder as Khedira or Bender, they're all largely box-to-box.

scytheavatar

Established Member
ArseGod said:
This is not what we need. He might pan out, but I don't understand why we don't target an immediate upgrade

Can you name an immediate upgrade we can get? Don't suggest Khedira because he's not an upgrade from Arteta. Don't suggest Carvalho either because he will need time to grow into our starting XI similar to Rabiot.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Khedira not an upgrade on Arteta champions league winner and world cup winner. Arteta who has had spells at psg rangers and Everton, away on your bike.

But Khedira isn't a dm I hear neither was Arteta we converted him and he has done well Khedira has played dm and brings a physical presence we lack in central midfield at 6'2.

scytheavatar

Established Member
bingobob said:
Khedira not an upgrade on Arteta champions league winner and world cup winner. Arteta who has had spells at psg rangers and Everton, away on your bike.

But Khedira isn't a dm I hear neither was Arteta we converted him and he has done well Khedira has played dm and brings a physical presence we lack in central midfield at 6'2.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/07/is-sami-khedira-arsenals-answer-at-defensive-mid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/07/is-sam ... nsive-mid/</a>

eye4goal

Established Member
I saw once in the last Toulon tournament and wasn't impressed. He looks a similar type to Arteta or lets say a Thiago Motta. Its starting to look like we'll buy a CB and use Chambers(and Rabiot) in midfield. I'd be happy with that if we also buy a CF.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom