• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Not one of his better games. Reckon he just needs to not overthink things on the ball. Today was a day when the whole team was frustrated though.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
4 games in a row where he was one of the worst players. I hope he doesn't end like Chamberlain here, this is the season where he needs to make bigger impact or we find someone else next summer.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He gave the ball away a few times but he was the only one looking to make things happen in the first half. Subbing him off for Douzi was very odd.

Yup whatever happened to "doesn't matter whether you make mistakes keep going". You at least got to let the guy try and redeem himself otherwise he's even more jittery next time he has a bad 15 mins .

Aevi

Hale End FC
Yup whatever happened to "doesn't matter whether you make mistakes keep going". You at least got to let the guy try and redeem himself otherwise he's even more jittery next time he has a bad 15 mins .
I agree, I'm not sure this'll do much good for his confidence. It probably wasn't even the right call for the game. Bad decision all around.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He gave the ball away a few times but he was the only one looking to make things happen in the first half. Subbing him off for Douzi was very odd.
Just trying to make things happen is not good enough when you fail to do anything and just give the ball away all the time. I had enough of Gervinho and Chamberlain over the years and it's time to have a proper wide player.
Iwobi will be forced to play this position even when his skills are better suited for other roles so I will not judge him at all this year.

The sub was odd, but it was Douzi that played that nice forward ball to Ramsey so it did pay off at the end. Can't blame Emery also, he has zero options on the bench.

Last edited:

m-due

Iwobi has definitely improved this season with flashes of brilliance but he still seems the same player second guessing himself. In his cameo last game, he was the only player with full energy trying to find spaces in the final third but delivery was off. We should expect him to make progress throughout the season but he needs to be consistent with his delivery. The sky is the limit for him really.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Just trying to make things happen is not good enough when you fail to do anything and just give the ball away all the time. I had enough of Gervinho and Chamberlain over the years and it's time to have a proper wide player.
Iwobi will be forced to play this position even when his skills are better suited for other roles so I will not judge him at all this year.
He was running at people and trying to link up with Laca, a lot of the better moments going forward came when he injected some pace into the game.
The sub was odd, but it was Douzi that played that nice forward ball to Ramsey so it did pay out at the end. Can't blame Emery also, he has zero options on the bench.
Well he could've just made a like for like switch with Mkhitaryan coming on or even Ramsey.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
I think Iwobi has been decent this season but that is it. I do not see a world class winger in him coming out anytime soon. As a squad option, he fits the bill. Cannot see him breaking into any of the other topsides in the league.

skip spence

Haven’t watched us play much this year but from what I can tell Alex is just about the same player now as he was under Wenger.
Strong, pacy, great first touch and very useful keeping possession and running with the ball in transitions. But ultimately a bottler who doesn’t produce enough in the final third to occupy an attacking position for a top team. Can’t buy a goal. I doubt this will ever change.

progman07

Established Member
Haven’t watched us play much this year but from what I can tell Alex is just about the same player now as he was under Wenger.
Strong, pacy, great first touch and very useful keeping possession and running with the ball in transitions. But ultimately a bottler who doesn’t produce enough in the final third to occupy an attacking position for a top team. Can’t buy a goal. I doubt this will ever change.
Different level admittedly, but even Cesc Fabregas Soler used to be a bottle in front of goal before he found his scoring boots.

I doubt that at the top level it is about whether you can shoot the ball properly, isn't it more about your mentality? He just needs to make runs behind, because I rarely see him pop up in dangerous positions.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Asking myself if he would have the same kind of impact Sancho and Nelson have had in the Bundesliga. He's so inconsistent over spans of days or weeks. Nonetheless he has a skillset only he has at Arsenal right now. Still also think it's weird he drops off so much once he's away from that left wing.

Think Emery might do well to take a book out of Nagelsmann's treatment of Nelson re when to start him and when to sub him on.

skip spence

Different level admittedly, but even Cesc Fabregas Soler used to be a bottle in front of goal before he found his scoring boots.

I doubt that at the top level it is about whether you can shoot the ball properly, isn't it more about your mentality? He just needs to make runs behind, because I rarely see him pop up in dangerous positions.
Yeah the mental part of the game is perhaps the most important. Lots have the skill and the physique, fewer can consistently deal with the pressure of being an elite player.

With goal scoring the key parts for me is positioning/anticipation and decision-making. The best goal scorers make consistently good decisions about when to shoot and when not to and don’t hesitate. Usually the best time is right away; before the goalie gets in position even poor shots often go in. At one point I saw signs that Alex was devoloping into a good goal scorer but now I think he never will.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I don't understand the criticism, he has improved this season and played a key pass for the winner. I was so fed up of Iwobi last season but under Emery he has new found confidence, so give him a season I say

And why is it a problem to sub him off in the 82nd minute haha. He got subbed off AFTER our best player Torreira. Iwobi isn't even a senior player he's only 22, I'm sure he wasn't offended and hurt that emery subbed him off, he's starting ahead of Özil for god sake :lol:

TornadoTed

Established Member
I don't understand the criticism, he has improved this season and played a key pass for the winner. I was so fed up of Iwobi last season but under Emery he has new found confidence, so give him a season I say

And why is it a problem to sub him off in the 82nd minute haha. He got subbed off AFTER our best player Torreira. Iwobi isn't even a senior player he's only 22, I'm sure he wasn't offended and hurt that emery subbed him off, he's starting ahead of Özil for god sake :lol:

No I don't get it either, set up the winner yesterday, set up the equaliser against Liverpool as well as offering something nobody else in the squad does. I'm very happy with how he is maturing and progressing.

Last edited:

Mraven

Bournemouth always doubled up on him in defence. Yet Iwobi kept trying to make something happen all game and got paid in the end. Elite mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989
Top Bottom