• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Logical deduction would be that Wenger prioritised keeping the ball, taking less risks in possession and perhaps ball movement over dribbling.

That would pretty much explain everything Iwobi is saying.

Think you're on to something. In a bigger picture thinking like this goes far to explain a lot of shortcomings at the tailgate of the Wenger years, without making him out to be a tactical numbnut, even including Arsène being somewhat behind modern tactics.

In the end I think he was just too determined to doing it his way, which explains a lot from transfers to not cutting stagnating/too bad players loose to the playing style to substitutions etc. I wouldn't even call it stubborness or Ivory Tower...rather too idealistic for his own good towards the end.

Last edited:

In general YES.

Only thing many people forget that the media became unbearable just due to him being here to too long.

Further, this very fact, 20 years, is also the biggest challenge anyone can face.
It does not necessarily mean he did much wrong in itself but the mere problem of being at one place for too long overshadowed anything else.

That's why many top managers like Guardiola leave after 3 years, because they want to keep their image as a succesfull coach as for each new year it becomes harder to bring out the best in all players and inject the same spirit, motivation and drive for the same players. Anything looses some of its magic after years and this also applies to the best coaches in regard to their players.
Are we making an exception of Sir Alex?

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Are we making an exception of Sir Alex?

Partly yes. That aside Ferguson had it way easier as he was backed financially by significant funds with ManU being one of the main spenders in the country whilest Wenger and Arsenal needed to sell their best players and could not even offer good wages.

It cannot be compared to nowadays where money and big spenders are everywhere. It has
become far more competitive.

Ferguson was great, but he definetely had the far easier job.

Last edited:

WilshereGone

There was a warning even before the assist when he took on a few defenders down the left and whipped in a beautiful cross that someone should have been attacking. Love to see him so positive.

nick gould

That right back soiled his pants after his first one on one with Iwobi. The boy was shaking every time he had to mark iwobi. Credit to the Gaffer. I like him more as a substitute. Same applies to Aubameyang. They cause so much havoc when they come off the bench.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

That right back soiled his pants after his first one on one with Iwobi. The boy was shaking every time he had to mark iwobi. Credit to the Gaffer. I like him more as a substitute. Same applies to Aubameyang. They cause so much havoc when they come off the bench.
Hahaha Alexander-Arnold did not know what hit him. Iwobi had a moment close to the sideline, his feet moved so fast over the ball they became a blur. A joy to watch!

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Hahaha Alexander-Arnold did not know what hit him. Iwobi had a moment close to the sideline, his feet moved so fast over the ball they became a blur. A joy to watch!
I know the exact moment you're talking about. Pretty sure he was meant to have touched the ball somehow but missed it, either that or he's invented a new skill.:lol:

Edit: Looks like it was just a really quick, straight stepover, still looks dodgy AF.:lol:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I know the exact moment you're talking about. Pretty sure he was meant to have touched the ball somehow but missed it, either that or he's invented a new skill.:lol:

Edit: Looks like it was just a really quick, straight stepover, still looks dodgy AF.:lol:

Hahaha yeah that’s the moment. Looks like a stepover to me for sure, he kicks it away with hit left foot so fast after that, he had to know what he was doing. Quick feet, quick mind.

ThlRama

Player:Saka

With Alex it always looks dodgy tbf.

Gunner140

Iwobi is the most unpredictable Arsenal player and that's good. I always thought that we lacked a winger that could take players one on one. Walcott always seemed too clumsy for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom