• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don't know if it's confidence that makes him mess up in the final third. I just don't think he has the football IQ to make a quick decision and execute. I think he's very slow thinking and dare I say more concerned with not making a mistake. I also think he's a bit lazy-he didn't stay with the runner for Saints second today. I think he could work harder on concentrating and be more aggressive in winning the ball back and pressing which would improve his overall game. He's a bit powder puff and I've no idea how you give a player like this confidence. Miki scored twice but still had a less than stellar game. Contrast our players with Shaquiri for Liverpool vs Utd. If two very good managers can't get three good games in a row out of Iwobi and his ilk,then what do we do?
We sell/give someone else a shot at the role.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm thinking Nketiah for 45 minutes can't do any worse over the Christmas period at least.
Yeah - Nketiah isn't really a wide-forward but he has the attributes to play there. He's quick, can dribble and is (usually) strong in front of goal. He also has the work-rate to play the role IMO. More time and we'll see it.

I think Iwobi lacks execution more than he lacks football IQ.

Some of his ideas are very good and you can see it when he unlocks Kolasinac and like Monreal today with creative passes and play.
Exactly - he overcooks/undercooks his passes much of the time even if it's a good play in theory. He sees it but lacks true belief to pull it off. Technically he's very comfortable so you would assume he does have the ability. It's not his technique IMO.

Giroud12

Shocking yet again. Been absolutely awful 2 games in a row. Time to play Laca out wide, or give Saka a shot. Cant be worse than Iwobi

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Times almost up for the lad IMO. Not sure it will ever work for him here at this point. Maybe a new environment could help him reach the potential we all know he has.

HBL

Established Member
Yeah - Nketiah isn't really a wide-forward but he has the attributes to play there. He's quick, can dribble and is (usually) strong in front of goal. He also has the work-rate to play the role IMO. More time and we'll see it.

Exactly - he overcooks/undercooks his passes much of the time even if it's a good play in theory. He sees it but lacks true belief to pull it off. Technically he's very comfortable so you would assume he does have the ability. It's not his technique IMO.
Nketiah was very good when he moved to striker on Thursday imo.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I was quite angry at him for some time, but when I think about it is it really his fault?
His biggest strength is to run with the ball from deep to opposition half and he is excellent at that, but as soon as he sees 16 yard box he panics and does everything wrong (this reminds me very much of Wilshere).
Why does Emery push him so much forward when it's clear that he has no end product, and why not play him to his strengths or leave him out?
When we have 2 strikers we obviously need someone to bring the ball forward and leave it to Özil or Laca and that is the situation where he thrives, but in a situation where we play only Laca/Auba and we clearly lack someone who can add something in terms of goals and assists then Iwobi is the worst choice we have.
Asking him to assist or score is like asking Özil to track back and tackle, it just doesn't work like that

Last edited:

progman07

Established Member
Unfortunately the contribution he has is just not enough on this level, if he is not scoring or assisting, he should be either extremely useful in defense (which he is not), or dictate gameplay (again which he doesnt do).

I love his potential, and had great moments during the season but he should be a part-time player really.

pikey2000

Agree with most of the above, a lot of us had concerns over his end product before this season and for a time it seemed as though Emery had helped him with that, however in the past 4-6 weeks its gone back to how it was before, panicking in the final 3rd where you need to be ice cold, reminds me very much of Gervihno when he is like this.

Decent squad player but we should definitely be looking for an out and out winger for the left side as soon as poss, this would enhance our attack massively.

hassoo

At this point, I'd even prefer Gervinho over him. Gervinho had an awful end product but he was a monster taking on and running behind full-backs.
Iwobi doesn't have one good trait. He doesn't score, doesn't assist, doesn't take on players, doesn't dribble, has awful first touch, even worse close control, doesn't have a good passing range, no positioning sense. I just don't know a single reason he is playing in this team.
It it were me, I would play Saka on LW.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
At this point, I'd even prefer Gervinho over him. Gervinho had an awful end product but he was a monster taking on and running behind full-backs.
Iwobi doesn't have one good trait. He doesn't score, doesn't assist, doesn't take on players, doesn't dribble, has awful first touch, even worse close control, doesn't have a good passing range, no positioning sense. I just don't know a single reason he is playing in this team.
It it were me, I would play Saka on LW.

Sorry but the embolded part simply isn't true. Iwobi has a great first touch. He's been struggling with a lot of things lately after looking like he took a step up early on this season, yes it's dissapointing, but if there is one thing that has been consistent throughout his time in the first team has been his first touch.

I'll say this though I've got far more time for Iwobi blowing hot and cold in the first team than Mkhi. Alex is still only 22 and but Henrik is a few weeks from 30 yet they are eaqually as inconsistent on our flanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom