• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I was rooting for Iwobi cos I think we need more black players but I'm off the band wagon, jumped off the train a few stops early & left the motorway on the first exit.

It's sad cos once we sell him he'll probably never play for a top team again and end up in the championship sooner or later.

pikey2000

Regardless of his performance last night that statement is still not true. Iwobi's first touch is good. It is his thought process and execution of final third ball movement that is severely lacking. He does everything right until we need that last pass or shot and then it all goes balls up.

Put simply he panics and it doesn't look like game time/age/experience is helping in that regard.

I'd take Mhki over him at present as although he isn't elite he will get goals and assists.

Don't think we need to get rid of Iwobi, just is a clear area where we could improve, in addition to conceding less.

trippyhippy

iwobi getting too many starts at the moment. have nothing against iwobi but it's clear we can't have him as a starter in any big games or the premier league even. ideally, he is a squad player who plays in Europa and the cups and if he impresses he should be given a chance in the premier league. either that or loan/sell him. he is still better than mkhitaryan that 30 year old bottler.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
200.gif

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Its seems to me that the team selection isn't based on merit but on Emery playing favourites.

I think he's taking a liking to Iwobi, Mkhi, Guendouzi and Xhaka especially.

I don't even dislike Iwobi but he needed to sit on the bench a few weeks ago, let alone now. I don't want to hear anything about tracking back or defensive work either because Iwobi nor Mkhi do it that well in the first place because our full backs are constantly isolated when we have to defend.

He's not contributing enough in an attacking sense and he isn't even providing the work rate and defensive contributions that he's supposedly in the team for.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm not sure some of the criticism is merited. We was poor last night but so were 7 of his team mates. The most culpable on the night was the club captain who has had a second howler in a row.

LG10

The whipping boy once again, he wasn’t bad yesterday. He’s one of the best U23 playmakers in Europe, we have to be patient with him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He really wasn't the worst thing on that pitch. We know how flaky he is in the final 3rd but he was reliable when it came to getting the ball there. That's as much as I can hope for with Iwobi.

I might be wrong though - he could be close to his ceiling already as he doesn't seem to be better than he showed he could be in the beginning stages of the season.

I still like Iwobi but without goals and assists I'm not sure he can play at top level as a wideforward in modern football.

I always maintain the idea if he don't start assisting or scoring enough soon he could very well be developed as a midfielder, but time is running out and that might not happen at all for him here.

lazyfreak

I was rooting for Iwobi cos I think we need more black players but I'm off the band wagon, jumped off the train a few stops early & left the motorway on the first exit.

It's sad cos once we sell him he'll probably never play for a top team again and end up in the championship sooner or later.
Talk about weird and strange. You root for a certain player just because you think we don't have enough of their race. lol. What else? You're rooting for Asano to make to it because we don't have Asians in the squad? :rolleyes:

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
If this guy wasn't a likeable academy product the fans would have turned on him ages ago. Time to tell it how it is: he's utter ****. Ridiculous that he's got 119 appearances for us.

It's better to have a HG squad player that loves the Club rather than an overpaid foreigner, so I don't mind Iwobi even if he doesn't turn out the way his talent insinuates what he can become.

''Utter ****'' is also a bit excessive don't you think?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
It's better to have a HG squad player that loves the Club rather than an overpaid foreigner, so I don't mind Iwobi even if he doesn't turn out the way his talent insinuates what he can become.

''Utter ****'' is also a bit excessive don't you think?

What if the HG squad player is overpaid? The nationality on a player's passport makes no difference to me as long as he's fit for purpose

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
It does make a difference as there are HG quotas to consider.

Mate, you don't support Chelsea or City. Arsenal will never have to worry about meeting HG quotas. Its in the club's DNA to promote and use youth. We don't have to keep someone like Iwobi around if he's not good enough on his own merit, just to meet HG quotas.

Also the HG rule means nothing more than you can't have more than 17 non home grown players in your squad. We could name a squad of 17 plays theoretically and nothing would happen to us.

We also have the likes of AMN, Smith Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah and all the other kids who could fill Iwobi's HG slot. Jenkinson is also HG by the way, you want to keep him too to fill the quota?

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Mate, you don't support Chelsea or City. Arsenal will never have to worry about meeting HG quotas. Its in the club's DNA to promote and use youth. We don't have to keep someone like Iwobi around if he's not good enough on his own merit, just to meet HG quotas.

Also the HG rule means nothing more than you can't have more than 17 non home grown players in your squad. We could name a squad of 17 plays theoretically and nothing would happen to us.

We also have the likes of AMN, Smith Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah and all the other kids who could fill Iwobi's HG slot. Jenkinson is also HG by the way, you want to keep him too to fill the quota?

Those players are rubbish and have nothing on Iwobi, they're riding their careers on potential and are not contributing atm. Not to mention proposed changes to the rule where HG slots will be upped from 8 to 12 or even more.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Um, HG quota rules being reconsidered for a much higher numbers..

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom