• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexander Hleb

asajoseph

Established Member
Just say Hleb with an obvious English accent - whether it's accurate or not, that's what every bloody commentator will call him.

Anyhow, this has been picked up by Patrick and KingReyes already, but I posted this in the Transfer Talk forum, in the wrong thread, so I'm gonna repost it here.

“I don’t understand these horizontal passes, which are designed to slow the game down"

Actually, Hleb better learn about these 'horizontal passes' fairly sharpish if he expects a starting birth - a massive part of our game, when we're not playing on the counter attack, is the ability to turn around and pass sideways when the first avenue of attack isn't open or isn't worth risking. Time and time again, we watch our players dribble or pass deep into the opponents half, but instead of trying to cross or try some impossible through-ball, turn around and play the ball backwards so that the attack can be reconstructed. This isn't just 'bad play', this is the way Arsène has taught our boys to play the game, and unless he's making enormous changes, I think Hleb better learn a bit of patience to go with his attacking flair. Of course, a player who is ALWAYS direct may be exactly what we need from time to time, especially in Europe, but he won't be a starter until he learns when to go for it and when to hold back.

Unless he's talking about 'horizontal passes designed to slow the game down' as opposed to other types of horizontal pass!

Asa

Master

I'm wondering which position is Wenger goinna use Hleb?

I reckon he's been used in his previous clubs as a central-playmaker and also a right winger.

I doubt he would play in the middle instead of either viera or gilberto.

The only other options i can think of is the wing or probably even next to HENRY!

Anyone, any idea?

asajoseph

Established Member
Probably in most positions accross the midfield, and yes, perhaps even partnering Henry. Depends on the squad situation and the opponents...

kel varnsen

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Just say Hleb with an obvious English accent - whether it's accurate or not, that's what every bloody commentator will call him.

Anyhow, this has been picked up by Patrick and KingReyes already, but I posted this in the Transfer Talk forum, in the wrong thread, so I'm gonna repost it here.

“I don’t understand these horizontal passes, which are designed to slow the game down"

Actually, Hleb better learn about these 'horizontal passes' fairly sharpish if he expects a starting birth - a massive part of our game, when we're not playing on the counter attack, is the ability to turn around and pass sideways when the first avenue of attack isn't open or isn't worth risking. Time and time again, we watch our players dribble or pass deep into the opponents half, but instead of trying to cross or try some impossible through-ball, turn around and play the ball backwards so that the attack can be reconstructed. This isn't just 'bad play', this is the way Arsène has taught our boys to play the game, and unless he's making enormous changes, I think Hleb better learn a bit of patience to go with his attacking flair. Of course, a player who is ALWAYS direct may be exactly what we need from time to time, especially in Europe, but he won't be a starter until he learns when to go for it and when to hold back.

Unless he's talking about 'horizontal passes designed to slow the game down' as opposed to other types of horizontal pass!

Asa

you don't think he might be exaggerating to make his point? besides, i think he is completely right. there should be a purpose behind every pass...

asajoseph

Established Member
you don't think he might be exaggerating to make his point?

Either he might be, or the Sun might be helping him out a little bit.

besides, i think he is completely right. there should be a purpose behind every pass...

Perhaps - as long as the 'purpose' is sometimes to turn around from a no-win situation, not play a wasteful ball, and keep possession by passing it back to the midfielders to restart the attack, then yeah, every pass should have purpose.

Spike

Established Member
To all those who can't pronounce his name.....wait for his press conference and I bet you there's bound to be one reporter asking how his name is pronounced.

A

Anonymous

Master said:
The only other options i can think of is the wing or probably even next to HENRY!
No, just no.

BTW when is his press conference. Infact when is all this going to be official?

kanuuu

Established Member
Will Hleb get in to the first team? I've never seen him play and all i know is that Arsène and a lot of people here reckon he's class. Will the signing of Hleb mean the end of Freddie's automatic place on the team sheet?

siddharth

Soler said:
News just in is that Kwame has jumped off of London Bridge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kwame was so cocksure about wenger not signing Hleb. I hope others (Ratinho :? ) don't follow him. :wink:

Taozhe

Kwame said:
trust me, my ego doeesn't need the boost. I hope he f****g exceeds and makes me completely wrong in my assessment of him. That would make me very happy

I wish he would prove you wrong and exceed even my expectations. Good luck to Hleb. May he go and let you cream your pants when he scores or gives the super assist for Henry to score the winning goal in the CL final!

OH YEAH!

We can dream ;)

Kum_Arsenal

Finally Wenger has signed one. :D

He is not a prolific goal scorer but will bring strength and more attacking options for Arsenal. :D

He is a Good Addition to the Squad. :D

All the Best Helb and do well and show you are a Gunner. :D

tbbosa

Kum_Arsenal said:
Finally Wenger has signed one. :D

He is not a prolific goal scorer but will bring strength and more attacking options for Arsenal. :D

He is a Good Addition to the Squad. :D

All the Best Helb and do well and show you are a Gunner. :D

Why all the simileys, what is so funny in that post. Unless if am missing something here? :eek:ops:

Gurgen

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
asajoseph said:

Asa

you don't think he might be exaggerating to make his point? besides, i think he is completely right. there should be a purpose behind every pass...

I agree with kel here.

A wise man once said, a pass is not a pass unless it beats an opposition player.
Usually we just pass around when we can't get through a defense, only Dennis can get the pass right when it's very tight. There's no 'reconstructing' involved at all, and it usually leads to losing the ball on the edge of the box. Bayern away is a perfect example of this. Also, nobody in our team seems to understand that shooting on goal from distance actually helps.

Arsenal Quotes

I've got the best goalkeeper and the best centre half. All I need are the best wingers and the best forward. It doesnt matter what the rest are like.

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom