Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Makingtrax, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne is Temporary, Squad Cost is Forever Trusted

Now that the old 'Evaluation' thread is locked it's time to look to the future. The celebrations have generated renewed media interest in the maestro and some of the stats and memories have perhaps persuaded some that the king is not yet dead.

Like some of the players his contract is up at the end of the season. So is he a winning hand or a busted flush?

I believe he's still our best chance of a title. People write him off every season but he's always in the mix. Many predicted he'd fail miserably this season with Pep, Mourinho, Conte, Poch, Bilic, Koeman and Klopp having the necessary quality to finally see him off.

But 7 games in, he's rising like cream to the surface.

2. bingobob

bingobob He played for Celtic? Sign him up!

It's Arsenal Fc and one way or another the club will survive without Arséne. It has to. His legacy is immortal the man himself is not.

A new deal delays the inevitable. And the longer we leave it the optimistic part of me says that gives us more opportunity to find a new manager the pessimistic me thinks we've already missed on Klopp and Pep and it's hardly like top managers are easy to come by.

Anyone else want to join me on the fence?

DasBootist, Trilly and Gooner Zig like this.
  3. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mmhmm yes, I agree

Both Klopp and Pep are young. They won't be unavailable forever. Just saying.

carlito'sway and Makingtrax like this.
  4. Makingtrax

According to Sky Sports the average lifespan of football managers in England 1.2 years. So a new deal just delays the inevitable for every manager ;)

Klopp's 1st year at Liverpool was no better than Rodgers' first year in charge. As much as I like the guy the EPL jury is still out on him. As for Pep, let's see what the end of season brings.

Wenger's got a proven track record and experience in the EPL and he's got 5 years left on Ferguson.

Goonerozil33 likes this.
  5. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Unsinkable !

Glad we lost out on Klopp and Pep. Don't like short term managers.

Sanchez11 and Makingtrax like this.
  6. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant

Too early to call.

As it stands right now - no deal. We could very well collapse in a heap as we usually do in Feb/Mar. If there was ever a time to judge Arséne in May, well this year is definitely it.

I don't see it playing out that way, however. The BoD will be keen to resolve the issue ASAP and there's probably a 3 year deal on AW's desk right now.

Godwin1, North5, SuperGoon and 3 others like this.
  7. Trilly

Trilly Runs East London

Why did the old thread close?

I'd say deal unless we have established quality lined up. We don't have the money of the superclubs to keep us afloat while we go from one **** manager to the next. Maybe we can keep him on a one year rolling contract and wait for Ancelotti or Simeone?

Klopp was the one that got away imo. Pochettino and Koeman look exceptional especially the former but most of us would have baulked at their 'small names'.

Doesn't matter anyway, like Zig said he most probably has an offer on the table already, and I can't see him spending all this money just to walk away. Maybe that's why Fergie left United with an ageing squad.

I'm well and truly on the fence here...I kind of don't care.

Mark Tobias likes this.
  8. Mark Tobias

Fergie wanted to make sure his name was boasted long after he left. Selfish way to retire. Arrogant man. Brilliant but arrogant. At least Arséne has class and in many ways has been selfless.

I'm too on the fence. Just want to watch the season. There's a good feeling again.

9. Mark Tobias

Are there any like Arséne who would stay for a while? We all would love a Bergkamp/Viera to do it AND succeed. But it's never any certainty. More a fans wish

10. Goonerozil33

Goonerozil33 Well-Known Member

Deal for 3 years. It is not like there are amazing managers waiting in the wings. When he eventually leaves, whoever joins us will not stay long with us. If he is successful it is very likely that he will be tempted by real or barca. I just can't believe there will be some manager who will love this club as much as Arséne does

11. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant

How do we know other high calibre managers won't make themselves available once the Arsenal position becomes vacant? It's got to be one of the most lucrative positions in world football from a location, prestige and pay POV.

James Bond likes this.
  12. Sanchez11

Sanchez11 Everything is sh1t

Id say deal but on a 2 year, at the end of the day the current squad are 2-3 years too late. What i mean by that is this calibre of the players and the amount of players should have been at his disposel 2-3 years ago. Granted it isnt all his fault but the buck ends with him.

Tactically im still not 100% convinced, i heard on the radio today regarding the england team talking about hodgson with no plan b. They said wenger could be the man, but he doesnt show much of a plan b to me either.

See what we do this season get Özil, sanchez and caz's contract sorted then make a decision imo.

13. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

hahahhahahahha seven games in! What a trailblazer... that isn't actually blazing the trail. We're behind Spurs :lol:

STime, Vinci and North5 like this.
  14. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

I can appreciate that you want Wenger to stay, but this is quite a sad post.

Gooner Zig likes this.
  15. James Bond

James Bond Moderation Consultant

Arséne spent 90m+ this summer. He is 1000% getting an extension/it was always on the cards dont fool yourselves. Our start of the season has nothing to do with it.

As usual, I agree 100% with @Gooner Zig.

16. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

The man is 67 years old , the board need to be thinking of a succession plan regardless be it end of this year or within three .

17. El Duderino

El Duderino AM Photoshop Expert

Unlikely that we'll see another long term one. Don't expect anyone to last more than 3 years here, with good or bad results.

18. El Duderino

El Duderino AM Photoshop Expert

Anyway, as others said. I'd keep him on a two year contract, enough room for us to make plans and contact his sucessor after next season, while also still leaving us in a comfortable position to renew with Arséne if no one is available.

He may bug me and I have my doubts on him, but we can at least expect him to keep us in the Champions League and somewhat "compete" for the EPL.

19. Makingtrax

In a recent interview, Wenger said he wants to wait until the end of the season.

The big problem is that the board will be worried about Sanchez and Özil not renewing their contract because of the Wenger uncertainty.

Whatever your opinion of Wenger it speaks volumes that the players both past and present place him in such high regard.

LGooner98 and carlito'sway like this.
  20. Makingtrax

Trump is 70 and running for arguably the biggest job in the world. Wenger appears to be fit and well so there are probably larger issues than age here.

Chami likes this.