• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Brooke Norton-Cuffy

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
just watching his game in a couple of moments, you can see this player will be ready for the premier league.

The aggression and intensity both in attacking and defending. He loves the battle. Should be in the first team squad next season as backup to Tomiyasu

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Next season RB's White, Tomiyasu and Cedric. Norton-Cuffy on a Championship loan.
Do you see White as a viable full back option then? He looked passable the couple of times he's played there but Cedric (and Tomi) has much more pace going forward. I think he's an emergency choice at best personally.

With Brooke-Cuffy coming through I'd be happy enough keeping it as it is and focusing elsewhere this summer though. We're likely going to need 2 forwards and 1-2 midfielders so that's plenty of business to get through already.

Barry

just watching his game in a couple of moments, you can see this player will be ready for the premier league.

The aggression and intensity both in attacking and defending. He loves the battle. Should be in the first team squad next season as backup to Tomiyasu
The jump from League 1 to PL is quantum though. I think he should maybe be third choice and have some time training with the 1st team squad. We may all sh*t on Cedric, but he's a full international and mid table PL quality player. It's a bit much to expect an 18 year old with 6 months senior experience to be at that level already.

If he keeps developing then he might be ready to be our main backup at the start of the 2023/24 season imo

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Do you see White as a viable full back option then? He looked passable the couple of times he's played there but Cedric (and Tomi) has much more pace going forward. I think he's an emergency choice at best personally.

With Brooke-Cuffy coming through I'd be happy enough keeping it as it is and focusing elsewhere this summer though. We're likely going to need 2 forwards and 1-2 midfielders so that's plenty of business to get through already.
Southgate seems to see him as a viable RB, because he chose him for Euros after TAA was injured. And played him as RB in the last game for 45 minutes and giving him a rest after, and giving Walker-Peters game-time too.

I don't see much difference in playing White or Tomiyasu as RB, quite similar kind of players.

We would want to play our 50 million pounds signing, and get Saliba to stay/extend, and have a path for Norton-Cuffy after his Championship loan, so it all makes perfect sense to me.

Barry

Southgate seems to see him as a viable RB, because he chose him for Euros after TAA was injured. And played him as RB in the last game for 45 minutes and giving him a rest after, and giving Walker-Peters game-time too.

I don't see much difference in playing White or Tomiyasu as RB, quite similar kind of players.

We would want to play our 50 million pounds signing, and get Saliba to stay/extend, and have a path for Norton-Cuffy after his Championship loan, so it all makes perfect sense to me.
Fair enough, I was expecting Tomiyasu to perform a bit like Chambers - ie. Basically a CB playing out of position - but he really surprised me. I'm not sure White would be quite as effective but it could work and I like the idea of making space for Saliba in the squad (who can also play emergency RB as well if needed)

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Fair enough, I was expecting Tomiyasu to perform a bit like Chambers - ie. Basically a CB playing out of position - but he really surprised me. I'm not sure White would be quite as effective but it could work and I like the idea of making space for Saliba in the squad (who can also play emergency RB as well if needed)
White is a bit slower, but not much, and might have better acceleration. I think White is a bit more technical, and can make progressive runs just like Tomiyasu. I can't see how they would perform very differently there. All their strengths are pretty similar.

Saliba can also do similar stuff as both of these players, but with his height he seems more like a CB. Saliba at RB could give him the minutes he needs and be an easier position to adjust to EPL with, but I see White better option as RB.

If this helps with getting Saliba to extend, we have to try it. The season afterwards if Saliba extends, we can rotate 3 CB's at all the competitions, and everyone gets enough minutes depending on their performances.

Impact

Established Member
Championship loan next year for me. I'd also still bring in a RB personally.

22/23

RB: Tomiyasu; RB
LB: Tierney; Tavares
RCB: White; Saliba
LCB: Gabriel; Holding

23/24

Then next summer move on Holding and promote Brooke.

RB: RB; Norton-Cuffy
LCB: Gabriel; Tomiyasu

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The comfort on his left foot is a really underrated attribute especially for a team that plays out from the back.

Can already tick off PL level athleticism as well so I can see why people are getting excited.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Forgot to post after the Sunderland match.

Sunderland were the dominant side and should have won if they weren't so wasteful in front of goal.

Appleton has Lincoln trying to play out from the back, not Brexit ball enough for most Lincoln fans. Norton Cuffy is the only one who really looks comfortable with it really.

Got caught out of position a few times but other than that I thought he was great.

To me he looks like a mid level Championship player playing in League 1 currently.

Saw a few Lincoln supporters with his name on their shirt. They've really taken to him. Not surprising given the quality of performances he's put in. Even the Lincoln fans were saying he's too good for their level :lol:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The comfort on his left foot is a really underrated attribute especially for a team that plays out from the back.

Can already tick off PL level athleticism as well so I can see why people are getting excited.
He's a huge prospect, probably top 3 at the club. Very exciting.

Raw though, still needs work IMO. Some of his touches can be heavy and his passing is improving rapidly but still overzealous at times. Championship next year is the ideal move.

Championship loan next year for me. I'd also still bring in a RB personally.

22/23

RB: Tomiyasu; RB
LCB: Gabriel; Holding

23/24

Then next summer move on Holding and promote Brooke.

RB: RB; Norton-Cuffy
LCB: Gabriel; Tomiyasu
I'm unsure as to who and what type of RB to bring in, especially knowing we have Norton-Cuffy there but I am beginning to agree if only because I don't know what Tomiyasu's fitness situation is gonna be like next year.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

This is from 2 days ago. @Macho please? 🙃

lincoln-football

By Art de Roché Apr 3, 2022

Brooke Norton-Cuffy may not have time to continue his late-night runs over Tower Bridge from the first lockdown, but his progress has remained on an upward trajectory during his loan to Lincoln City.
Initially a loan was viewed as more realistic for next season, but the League One side presented an opportunity to accelerate his progress this term and he has grabbed it with both hands.
Since the move, the 18-year-old right-back has made 14 senior appearances, with six league games still to play. Alongside that, he has risen from the England Under-18s to the Under-19s, helping the latter qualify for European Championship in the most recent international break.

Returning to Lincoln City manager Michael Appleton’s starting XI away at Charlton Athletic, he helped secure a 2-1 win that put his side a step closer to survival with a mature display. The main aspect of Norton-Cuffy’s performance that stood out was his composure. At The Valley, it was his ability to progress the ball with his left foot from right-back that caught the eye. He did so three times in the first 15 minutes, two of which ended with Lincoln attacks reaching the final third.
“He puts the work in every single day,” Appleton said post-match. “We work a lot on putting it around the corner with the full-backs knowing that either one of the No 8s or the striker will be there. It’s not luck, he practises it every single day for 5-10 minutes after training, so all the work is down to him. He’s putting the graft in so when it happens in games, he’s comfortable doing it.”

This is particularly encouraging from an Arsenal perspective. Takehiro Tomiyasu’s two-footedness at right-back has been instrumental to their build-up play on the right, as he is able to find either Martin Ødegaard or Alexandre Lacazette much more quickly with left-footed clips forward rather than being forced back on his right foot.

Positive in his play, this worked particularly well for Norton-Cuffy early in the second half. On one occasion he was pressed by two Charlton players and the pass that seemed on was a set back to his right-sided centre-back but he instead played the ball into midfield with his left.
What has also come to the attention of many during this loan spell is the teenager’s stature. As well as being quick, he has the size and strength to hold his own against opposition wingers and full-backs.
Minutes after the red card for Morgan Whittaker (who was playing ahead of Norton-Cuffy on the right wing) made it 10-vs-10 just before the hour mark, Charlton began attacking down his side more often. Charlton’s left wing-back Corey Blackett-Taylor had beaten him on the odd occasion in the first half, but when trying to dribble round the outside later in the game, Norton-Cuffy matched him.
In the 59th minute, the decision to stay on his feet and stand up to Blackett-Taylor’s run paid off. The wing-back attempted a cross which bounced off Norton-Cuffy back onto him and out for a goal kick. Later in the game, there was a moment when Blackett-Taylor seemed to have beaten both Norton-Cuffy and Chris Maguire for pace on the touchline, only for the loanee to move his team-mate out of the way to ensure the worst outcome was a Charlton throw.

lincoln-football

Norton-Cuffy and Charlton Athletic’s Blackett-Taylor battle for the ball (Photo: Steven Paston/PA Images via Getty Images)

As with any 18-year-old, there will be room for improvement and development for Norton-Cuffy. A few times, his high starting positions gave Charlton glimpses of the Lincoln goal. Sometimes Norton-Cuffy was able to get back, while occasionally it was the forward’s poor first touch that meant Charlton did not profit from the openings.

When asked what aspects of the right-back’s game he was hoping to develop on the loan, Appleton’s answer was understandable.

“It’s been quite interesting of late because he (Norton-Cuffy) has played as a wing-back and it’s not quite worked (as well as full-back),” the Lincoln manager said.
“He’s found it quite difficult because, instead of having the grass in front of him, it’s been taken and he’s in that last position to cross or make a pass. That’ll certainly help him going forward if he goes anywhere that plays with wing-backs.

“From a full-back point of view, I just wanted his recovery runs to be a bit better. That just comes with youth sometimes, thinking it’s all about going forward. He’ll go back to Arsenal a better player and I’ve got no doubts — it might not be for a year or two — but he will play in their first team on a regular basis.”
Even with areas to improve, Norton-Cuffy has taken to life at Lincoln City incredibly well. That is not just evident in his performances, but the way in which he has been received and spoken about by manager, staff and fans alike.

After the full-time whistle at The Valley, the 1,110 travelling Lincoln fans broke into chants of “We are staying up!” as the win put them 10 points above the relegation zone with six games to play. The 18-year-old posed for a photo with a supporter, asking a steward to take the picture.
Aside from being a wholesome way to end the trip to south London — where he attended the same school as Reiss Nelson and Derby County winger Malcolm Ebiowei — the past few months go to show what happens when loans are done right. Emile Smith Rowe helping keep Huddersfield Town in the Championship two years ago is proof that players do not have to be loaned to a league’s best team to develop — they just need to find the right fit.
That is exactly what has happened with Norton-Cuffy and he should benefit in the short and long term. Arsenal know this, having offered him a new contract last month, as revealed by The Athletic, with talks still ongoing.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Me, the god @MutableEarth and the pervert @hydrofluoric acid have been high on this lad for ages.

He’ll be first choice here next season. A lad his size shouldn’t be as good technically as he is, ridiculous some of the stuff he’s doing.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Me, the god @MutableEarth and the pervert @hydrofluoric acid have been high on this lad for ages.

He’ll be first choice here next season. A lad his size shouldn’t be as good technically as he is, ridiculous some of the stuff he’s doing.
I actuallybwatched him today. Very strong performance and an assist too.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Needs to be our first choice next season. Tomiyasu is a sicknote and boring going forward anyway.

Cedric should be a groundsman.

Goonger

Yep. Let's assess the lad pre season, & if he shows up well keep him for the first part of the season for the League Cup & Europa League games. Then assess if its better he gets another loan 2nd half of the season.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom