Dayot Upamecano

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Aevi, Dec 9, 2016.

1. 14Henry

14Henry Well-Known Member

Theres always one.

2. Fewtch

Fewtch Ozil at 10 And Emery Out

3. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

Have Lenglet, Umtiti, Dembele, Gruezmann etc all been signed since Eric Abidal has been in his role? I think so.

Upamacano is understandable then.

4. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Short man Syndrome

Why?

5. Arsenio Venger

Arsenio Venger Well-Known Member

French

6. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Short man Syndrome

I didn't ask you but cheers.

Arsenio Venger likes this.
  7. Arsenio Venger

Arsenio Venger Well-Known Member

Must be French

8. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Rarely Right

That's annoying, missing out on him that close to the finish line - sounds more like both teams are actively in discussions with them and thus I'd consider Upamecano to not be afraid of going to Barcelona at this stage in his career.

No chance then, imo.

9. gunner4lyfe

gunner4lyfe Well-Known Member

Have you?

10. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

The player has a decision to make. Virtually guaranteed playing time or bench warming in Spain. If we match the price, we're not out of this race. Throw in Mustafi for free as well as Medley on loan if we have to. If he lives up to his hype, with Saliba, this will be the best CB partnership we've had since Campbell/Toure.

11. Riou

Riou Nostalgia Merchant

Easy now, we had a damn fine one after this that shouldn't be dismissed too quickly...

[​IMG]

...before wining the heavyweight title, you have to win the intercontinental title ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    DasBootist, albakos, Ash10 and 5 others like this.
  12. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

For me Joe Gomez is probably the 2nd best CB in the league after VVD, but it’s taken him nearly 4 years to reach this level after Liverpool signed him from Charlton where he was touted as a future England international. He also had the benefit of developing under Klopp and in a strong team.

I just think guys like Saliba and Upa you write off for 2/3 years once you sign them, it’s still a big development phase at their ages.

albakos, North5 and Trilly like this.
  13. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Knows a guy who knows an ITK at Bristol Trusted

See. It’s why we should buy Championship.

albakos and Toby Andrl like this.
  14. UpTheGunnerz

UpTheGunnerz No Longer Phallus Obsessed

Should 'ave offered 'em ESR innit to sweeten the deal

15. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

I hear you but on an individual basis and as a pair, there weren't the significant deficiencies Kos and Per had. Campbell and Toure were a level above.

Riou likes this.
  16. Gooner416

Gooner416 Well-Known Member

Love me some Joe Gomez but he’s not even a nailed on starter? I still think Laporte edges him for me.

17. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

Laporte is A LOT better than Gomez. So is Rudiger.

Trilly and Pepes blue pill like this.
  18. #Davido

#Davido Member

Laporte is much better than Gomez ffs.

Pepes blue pill likes this.
  19. Idiotologue

Idiotologue Well-Known Member

For Saliba, I agree, he's only 18. Needs time. I don't think anybody thinks of him being pencilled in a starter straight away. For Upamecano, however, I disagree. He has considerable experience despite his age, started featuring as a starter for RB Leipzig at 18. Played 10 UCL games and 14 UEL games already. He's going to gain even more experience this season as Leipzig are leading the Bundesliga and are in the knock-out stages of UCL.

It's not like you can't have an experienced defender next to Upa for a couple of years as Saliba develops, either. That's probably going to be David Luiz initially, then you look at how far Saliba has come in his development. Chambers or Holding could get a run next to Upa for a while too, if Saliba isn't quite there yet.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  20. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

I forgot about Laporte.

Rex Banter, Trilly and Gooner416 like this.