• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: Big Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Could be our Marco Asensio.
I hope he will develop into a technical player.

It’s good to know he stays. I don’t want to loan him out to some Tony Pulis side and learn to play the non technical way.

Last edited by a moderator:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Waking up to the news ESR signed a new deal got me like

zznRdPU.gif

(I'll never stop using this gif)
mYtob.gif

Vinnie Mac fancies himself as a bit of a dancer :lol:.

So does his son tbf

shanemcmahondance.gif

And his daughter :lol:

vkvVdke.gif

Yeah what I was thinking of, no need to rush it. For Smith-Rowe he is playmaker and can be playmaker in midfield or on flanks. For him to become main star of Arsenal u-23 who by the way won the league with Willock, Nelson and Nketiah as main star is a big target and will bode very well with Emery and the managers.

I like how he is grounded. I think he will get first team games, he has almost earned it in EL easy games and League Cup with his friendly performances.

But at top club no need to rush it, next level is showing he can be main figure at the last season best u-23 team. That is huge task in it self!

I liked what he said about loans. He didn't even consider it. I think he'll really take to being the U23's main star and it could elevate his game further - despite the lack of competitiveness in the PL2. Will be interesting to see how the team as a whole will fare with him as the lynchpin.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Something about this kid, even though he had a quieter game he looked so composed and technically assured. That back heel was something else.

Gladly take this year as a write off if we managed to blood some of these youngsters into the first XI.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Struggled at times last night but that's to be expected in his first game coming up against the type of quality Chelsea had in their midfield. Will have learnt a lot hopefully.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Had a few very good opportunities to shoot and decided to just pass it on. Demonstrated his personality for me.

Compare the personality of Nelson and ESR to Hudson-Odoi. Hudson -Odoi played the exact same way that he did in the under 23 cup match. Physical, not bothered about using his body vs big names. Attacking the full back at every opportunity. Literally going to be an absolute beast. A killer.

Smith-Rowe took the shot on vs Atletico but didn't vs Chelsea. Why? It's psychological. Nelson is too busy looking good and thinking about getting a better contract than actually taking his man on and doing what he does at the under 23s.

They have technical potential but they aren't demonstrating the correct mentality for me at the moment.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Had a few very good opportunities to shoot and decided to just pass it on. Demonstrated his personality for me.

Compare the personality of Nelson and ESR to Hudson-Odoi. Hudson -Odoi played the exact same way that he did in the under 23 cup match. Physical, not bothered about using his body vs big names. Attacking the full back at every opportunity. Literally going to be an absolute beast. A killer.

Smith-Rowe took the shot on vs Atletico but didn't vs Chelsea. Why? It's psychological. Nelson is too busy looking good and thinking about getting a better contract than actually taking his man on and doing what he does at the under 23s.

They have technical potential but they aren't demonstrating the correct mentality for me at the moment.
What’s wrong with passing the ball?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What’s wrong with passing the ball?

Absolutely nothing if there is a purpose to it. I understand if it's a moment where someone is clearly in a better position but that wasn't the case. Had the opportunity to shoot and didn't. Not a case of being incapable. He just spanked one into the top corner. Seemed more psychological than anything.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Absolutely nothing if there is a purpose to it. I understand if it's a moment where someone is clearly in a better position but that wasn't the case. Had the opportunity to shoot and didn't. Not a case of being incapable. He just spanked one into the top corner. Seemed more psychological than anything.
I actually agree. Our players need to develop more of a killer instinct. It was a clear difference between Chelsea U18s and Arsenal U18s - we matched them in technical ability but physically and mentally they ran roughshod. Smith-Rowe was one of the few to continuously standout in his defense so I reckon it could just be wanting to defer to teammates rather than take on the glory.

Me personally, there are times to pass but there are also times to back yourself and shoot and there were a couple of times both Smith-Rowe and Nelson had the opportunity to take a player on or take on a shot and they didn't. They're slowly getting there - Nelson is slowly getting some confidence back, and in 90 mins of football since the ICC started, he's had 3 assists. Nothing to sniff at.

But I do agree that CHO showed them what killer instinct looks like and he was unlucky not to get anything out of the game, on an individual game at least. I think Smith-Rowe and Nelson are capable of developing that killer instinct though and I think they will develop it more under a the new regime.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I agree that ESR and Nelson can show a bit more of the killer edge, and we'll see how Emery develops them.

CHO played with a lot of intensity yesterday, but he also had Morata as his strike partner. If I was him I wouldn't be looking to pass either. However, ESR had PEA, Özil and Mkhi to pass to. I can see why he was looking to pass and CHO wasn't.

ESR wasn't even supposed to start and he looked a bit shell-shocked when the game started, and that isn't a surprise. Unlike Douzi, Nelson, and Willock, ESR only started to excel with the u23s during the second half of last season when he moved to CM. Pretty much all of our young players have way more experience than him.

Nelson, I do think, has to raise his intensity. We need a winger, and this is his opportunity to stake his claim. He's not playing poorly, but I'm not sure he's taken his chance yet.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Huge improvement since he joined the first team.
More discipline.
Fewer risky forward runs.
Less on the ball.
Better teamwork.

Last edited by a moderator:

All I can say is, when you see the real deal...you just know it.

Mature beyond his years...it's quite frightening.

Has that Wilshere, Fabregas aura about him that he already understand the game at very high level.

Already has a good height and physique but still just a boy yet to grow into a man. Gonna be a force to reckon with at 22 I hope!

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

I think while it might be a mentality thing, it could very well be down to how they're brought up at the club as players. Iwobi has similar tendencies to shy away from "going for it" in decisive moments.

It reminds me a bit of the discussion in german football right now about how there's less and less players with dribbling skills, end product and the drive to take on opposition players to create new situations.

It basically goes that with the evolution to a more systematic football based on movement and passing patterns, young players get taught to pass and move and become a working part in an intricate system in the academies, but at the same time loose their individual drive to dribble and take on players as they are taught that's not how it works anymore. Big discussion right now in Germany.

Think with Arsenal's focus on being a technical, possession based passing side, something similar might be going on here. Players being coached technically and to keep the play ticking with intricate passing, but somehow loose their directness in the process as they're always looking for another option, another pass.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Such a soft first touch. You can easily see how good he can become, just by seeing his touch.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I had a feeling that he didn't play well. He is an attacking player and he messed up most of his opportunities in front of the goal. Instead of moving the ball to his right he always rushed it with his left or was running with the ball until being tackled. That is all down to experience, it has nothing to do with talent or training. He needs to get experience of how to play against senior players who are strong and fast, just destroying kids in u23 won't be enough for his progress.
Everything else was as expected, really nice passing ability and technique, he is also unusually strong for his years and he used that very well to win some balls.
This could be copy pasted to Willock and Nketiah threads. Club needs to find better solution for their integration to the first team. I was expecting that they would play in EL and League Cup but it's not happening. You can't get easier games than Championship side or the first home game in EL.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Liked what I saw from him yesterday, he was always proactive with the ball didn't shy away from contact and always looked to advance the play. Didn't look out of his depth out there and I feel Emery should be satisified with his performance. If he keeps it up we'll see plenty of ESR in action this season. Great talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis
Top Bottom