• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Europa League - 2015/2016

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

And fair play to them , I won't take that away from them but the reason they are in this comp is they were ordinary in the CL. Their away form in La liga has been deplorable - that's mental issue in itself .
True, they have had a mental issue away from home this season. But that's only this season, doesn't seem to be a structural issue.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
And fair play to them , I won't take that away from them but the reason they are in this comp is they were ordinary in the CL. Their away form in La liga has been deplorable - that's mental issue in itself .

And the fact that we slithered out of the R16 looking trash means we weren't ordinary in the CL?

We had a ****e CL campaign. Barely making it to the R16 is not as impressive as winning the EL as Sevilla did.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

True, they have had a mental issue away from home this season. But that's only this season, doesn't seem to be a structural issue.

Yeah fair enough , only got to watch them this season . They were to me though technically better than the Scousers just not a high tempo side .

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

And the fact that we slithered out of the R16 looking trash means we weren't ordinary in the CL?

We had a ****e CL campaign. Barely making it to the R16 is not as impressive as winning the EL as Sevilla did.

Why bring us up ? , I never said we were the paragons of mental strength . :lol:
Although I bet we would have beaten Sevilla ;) especially in the home and away rounds .

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

michael-owen_1904336c.jpg

12oclock

It really is shocking how poor Sevilla have been in the league but Emery has more than earned his 'get out of jail free' card. If they hadn't won today it would have been a bad season, same for Liverpool. They need to do much better next season but then again it looks like they are going to lose Banega. Therein lies the problem for Emery. Every year. Last year they lost Bacca after winning EL, before that Rakitic. As long as they keep losing their best players they will always struggle to build on their Europa success and get to the next level.

Bad season? Playing two finals is never a bad season for a team like Sevilla.

Emery has prioritized the Europa League and Copa del Rey over the Spanish league.
Sevilla have a very short squad and they don't have a squad like other teams(Barcelona, Real, Atletico). Sevilla is poorer than Sunderland.
No team has played more official games this season than Sevilla this season.
38 league +6 champions league games+9 europa league+9 copa+2 supercopa+1 european supercup = 65 games.

He managed to keep Valencia 3rd 3 seasons in a row when they were selling their best players seaon after season, just the same thing that happen to Sevilla every season.
After he left, Valencia become a mess.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
Why bring us up ?

BEcause you brought up the fact that they were ordinary in the CL group stages, a comment that applies to both Sevilla and Liverpool but also to us. We were ordinary in the CL and have nothing to show. Sevilla was ordinary in the CL and has their 3rd EL trophy in a row. I know which result I would rather have

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

BEcause you brought up the fact that they were ordinary in the CL group stages, a comment that applies to both Sevilla and Liverpool but also to us. We were ordinary in the CL and have nothing to show. Sevilla was ordinary in the CL and has their 3rd EL trophy in a row. I know which result I would rather have

I brought that up and their away form in relation to them and mental strength , I'm not claiming Arsenal had a great season or mental strength . Purely on Sevilla .

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I noticed a trend in the the recent KO stages so I did some @GDeepStats style research

In the last three CL & EL seasons (picked those because they were all won by Spanish teams) only two Spanish teams were knocked out by European competition (Villarreal by Pool '16 and Real by Juventus '15) - the other ten occasions a Spanish team (Real, Barcelona, Atlético, Valencia, Villarreal, Betis & Bilbao) dropped out of a competition it was at the hands of a domestic rival. That's a mental record, if they had more luck in the draws we could've had all Spanish semis for a couple years.

The stats are also pretty interesting since 2009/2010 (start of EL):

Teams in the quarterfinals:
Spain: 29 (12EL/17CL) England: 15 (6EL/9CL) Germany: 19 (6EL/10CL)

Semis:
Spain: 23 (11 El/12CL) England: 8 (4EL/4CL) Germany: 9 (1EL/8CL)

Finals:
Spain: 12 (6EL/6CL) England: 5 (3EL/2CL) Germany: 4 (0EL/4CL)

Winners:
Spain: 9 (5EL/4CL) England: 2 (1EL/1CL) Germany: 1 (0EL/1CL)

That's 26% of all quarter-finalists, 41% of all teams in the semis, 43% of all teams in the finals and 64% of all European champions that are from Spain - with the three remaining defeats in finals all coming against Spanish opposition.

Then there's the fact Sevilla alone have won more European titles than all English teams combined in the last ten years. You'd have to be pretty hardheaded to still argue EPL > La Liga.

skip spence

You'd have to be pretty hardheaded to still argue EPL > La Liga.
That is a remarkable, a staggering dominance by Spain tbh. One wonders how this Arsenal team would fare in La Liga. Obviously the top three are a class apart, but could we handle the likes of Sevilla, Villareal, Atletico Bilbao, Celta Vigo, Valencia etc? Not so sure...

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

That is a remarkable, a staggering dominance by Spain tbh. One wonders how this Arsenal team would fare in La Liga. Obviously the top three are a class apart, but could we handle the likes of Sevilla, Villareal, Atletico Bilbao, Celta Vigo, Valencia etc? Not so sure...

Our title winning sides couldn't , Depor used to have us for breakfast.

footydroid

Only 2 players- Vitolo and Carrico, have started in all 3 of the past EL final wins for Sevilla. The team that won 2 years ago looks completely different with Rakitic pulling the strings in the middle and Bacca up top supported by Vitolo and Reyes on the flanks. This year they had Banega in Rakitic position, Gameiro for Bacca and Coke for Reyes. With a completely different defense and midfielders apart from Carrico. Really Emery has won EL with different teams. I wonder how he'd do if there weren't so many changes every year and was allowed to build a team properly.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
I noticed a trend in the the recent KO stages so I did some @GDeepStats style research

In the last three CL & EL seasons (picked those because they were all won by Spanish teams) only two Spanish teams were knocked out by European competition (Villarreal by Pool '16 and Real by Juventus '15) - the other ten occasions a Spanish team (Real, Barcelona, Atlético, Valencia, Villarreal, Betis & Bilbao) dropped out of a competition it was at the hands of a domestic rival. That's a mental record, if they had more luck in the draws we could've had all Spanish semis for a couple years.

The stats are also pretty interesting since 2009/2010 (start of EL):

Teams in the quarterfinals:
Spain: 29 (12EL/17CL) England: 15 (6EL/9CL) Germany: 19 (6EL/10CL)

Semis:
Spain: 23 (11 El/12CL) England: 8 (4EL/4CL) Germany: 9 (1EL/8CL)

Finals:
Spain: 12 (6EL/6CL) England: 5 (3EL/2CL) Germany: 4 (0EL/4CL)

Winners:
Spain: 9 (5EL/4CL) England: 2 (1EL/1CL) Germany: 1 (0EL/1CL)

That's 26% of all quarter-finalists, 41% of all teams in the semis, 43% of all teams in the finals and 64% of all European champions that are from Spain - with the three remaining defeats in finals all coming against Spanish opposition.

Then there's the fact Sevilla alone have won more European titles than all English teams combined in the last ten years. You'd have to be pretty hardheaded to still argue EPL > La Liga.
Well, cool stats and analisis but it doesnt say much. the intensity of the PL is very different from the one in La Liga, in La Liga once you are winning 2 nill the team just give up, in La liga its very well known that you can buy a result. The PL doesnt have a winter break. You can argue about styles, but there is no doubt that the PL is the most competitive one, every team is going to give you a 90 minutes fight.

footydroid

Well, cool stats and analisis but it doesnt say much. the intensity of the PL is very different from the one in La Liga, in La Liga once you are winning 2 nill the team just give up, in La liga its very well known that you can buy a result. The PL doesnt have a winter break. You can argue about styles, but there is no doubt that the PL is the most competitive one, every team is going to give you a 90 minutes fight.
There is no winter break in Spain either. They had 4-5 days more in Christmas, that's it. And every team gives you a fight in PL is just something that feels nice saying but isn't true. Seen plenty of dull games.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom