• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joel Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accomplished

Established Member
The Jury said:
If he ends up with us, he'll be a sensation. He's already far FAR in advance of the likess of Oxo Chambermaid IMO. He's good enough for Arsenal and the premiership at present, I have no doubt.

I want to believe you, I really do, but I highly doubt that a player who is "far" ahead of Ox and is ready to play for a top-4 team would be signed in such a manner, without any media coverage, any true competition from other clubs, and for the figures being quoted..

bazza_afc

Like the look of this guy. With Gervinho signed as well these two will inject some much needed pace into our attack. It was painful how one-paced we were last season, bar Theo.

jay-d

Established Member
GDeep said:
That article is from yesterday morning if I'm not mistaken, things have very much advanced in AFC 's favour since then.

I hope so but its dated today 10:10 a.m. SUNDAY 17 JULY 2011

outlaw_member

Established Member
I am really excited about this transfer, because he is such an unknown quantity. An odd reason, I know, but I can't help but draw similarities with the Weah move to Monaco back in the 80's. A skilful and athletic attacker with superb finishing making waves in an obscure part of the world. It's about time we have a deadly left footer in our team.

GOONER1991

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I am really excited about this transfer, because he is such an unknown quantity. An odd reason, I know, but I can't help but draw similarities with the Weah move to Monaco back in the 80's. A skilful and athletic attacker with superb finishing making waves in an obscure part of the world. It's about time we have a deadly left footer in our team.

gun__1295620663_player_vanpersie.jpg

GDeep™

League is very weak
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7045100,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... um=twitter</a>

In the bag.

outlaw_member

Established Member
GOONER1991 said:
outlaw_member said:

gun__1295620663_player_vanpersie.jpg

I knew this was coming. van Persie is anything but deadly with his left foot. Some of his finest moments have come with his right, and his much hyped left foot hasn't produced a free kick, or a goal from outside the box in years. He's obviously very good with it, but he doesn't have a sledgehammer like Adriano, Recoba or Rivaldo did, which is what I'm hoping Campbell's left peg is like.

I also wonder whether Wenger has been reading my posts. Gervinho and Campbell are exactly the type of flexible forwards that we've been in need of, and he's addressed the offensive fullback issue by promoting Gibbs. We just need to sign Hulk now.:bounce

VancouverCanuck

Just watched the Argentina Costa Rica match yesterday. It was a difficult match to judge him as Costa Rica was totally dominated. He didn't see much of the ball and when he did, he couldn't do much with it. He seems to like to dribble and take players on. Took a weak shot on goal and had a free kick just over the bar (his dead balls seemed excellent for a 19 yro). Still far too lightweight at this stage and easily pushed off the ball in a couple of occasions. This deal makes sense for under £1 mil. I wouldn't expect him to improve our team at all next year. He is probably too good for the reserves. I would loan him out next year. But mind you, my assessments are only based on watching one match and youtube clips.

AFC-Phil

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I knew this was coming. van Persie is anything but deadly with his left foot.

I disagree.

outlaw_member said:
Some of his finest moments have come with his right, and his much hyped left foot hasn't produced a free kick, or a goal from outside the box in years.

The only video I could find on this

outlaw_member said:
He's obviously very good with it, but he doesn't have a sledgehammer like Adriano, Recoba or Rivaldo did, which is what I'm hoping Campbell's left peg is like.

Nor do most players, but he can still generate a good amount of power on his shots.

outlaw_member said:
I also wonder whether Wenger has been reading my posts. Gervinho and Campbell are exactly the type of flexible forwards that we've been in need of, and he's addressed the offensive fullback issue by promoting Gibbs. We just need to sign Hulk now.:bounce

Replace Hulk with Hazard and we're talking. :wink:

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Damnit, hopefully we keep him around. We could use a finisher here and some competition for our second forward spot.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Those moments are rare for him nowadays, though. He was pretty lethal with it in the past, but it hasn't been overly impressive in recent seasons. He almost always skies any attempts from far now.

From the available footage of Campbell, there isn't much to suggest that he'll be Hristo Stoichkov with his left foot, but here's hoping he turns out like other successful obscure signings such as Eusebio or Weah. I think I'm falling into 'The Sufferer of Premature Elation' territory here.

AFC-Phil

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Those moments are rare for him nowadays, though. He was pretty lethal with it in the past, but it hasn't been overly impressive in recent seasons. He almost always skies any attempts from far now.

His long-range attempt vs Man City (0-0 draw) is another example of Van Persie's ability from long-range. As is his shot vs Wigan that hit the post. (In the game that he scored 3 goals - just after he missed a penalty)

That said, I agree that this is less and less frequent with each season, but he certainly still has the ability to do it. (and does from time-to-time)

outlaw_member

Established Member
BTW, you can watch the entire Costa Rica vs Guadeloupe match on youtube. Just follow the number sequence.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmDxnKpbGSw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmDxnKpbGSw</a>

KY

Established Member
@outlaw
compilation of top ten goals by RVP, and nine of them are with his left peg. the one with his right peg was at number 10.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6-mHJGgjM&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6-mHJG ... re=related</a>

Not sure how you can say most of his best moments are with his right peg...

Though I do agree, he hasn't produced those magnificent free kicks with his left leg anymore in the past coupla years. Wish he did. We would have had more points then.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I said 'some' of his finest moments have come with his right, although I wrongly thought that his volley against Charlton was with his right foot. The potency of his left foot has been decreasing with each season, but he's become a more rounded shooter, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom