• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Perez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

@Taylor Gang Gunners I don't see how Welbeck returning put a spanner in the works unless that was always to be the intention. We signed Perez at the end of August and Welbeck while being back is still not 100% fit it's nearly March. There was no idea when he'd return and more importantly at what level he'd come back at. I like Welbeck (I'd actually like him Alexis and Perez as a front three) but it's been months and Perez should have been involved much more than he has been. Welbeck isn't the excuse or the issue for what happened it's our use of Walcott, Iwobi, Ox and to a lesser extent Alexis.

@tap-in I think he is good enough but still fits the panic buy mould. For the first three games Alexis started up top so clearly the decision was made early on that's his role and Giroud upon return would be the back up. Early on Walcott started on the right. The guy who was useless and on most outs list last season not only found himself back in the team but keeping his position. If Perez was to be a real solution his deal should have been done early and it made clear to Theo his days were up. Instead it was done at the death of the window when we failed in the pursuit of our early targets. I have no proof that it was an appeasement buy but my gut based on the games he has played, the players who continually letting us down getting games and the way we started the season and how Mustafi came in after him and has nailed his spot all lead me to the same conclusion. If anyone can offer any gut instinctive reasons for him not to be I'll gladly listen.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The panic buy label comes from Wenger's recent comments:
“At the start of the season I bought Lucas, who for me is a very good player," he said.

"But why? Because Welbeck was out until now basically and I didn’t know how long it would take."

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I dont really blame Wenger on this one. He clearly identified a striker he wanted early & expected to complete the deal... Its not on him Vardy made us wait so long & then decided to stay.

Looking back now Lacazette with his pace & dynamism was probably the correct call (even though at the time I was against it).... But with the huge Xhaka fee & two CB injuries no way Wenger was paying 50m.

In the ideal world Alexis will renew & we just upgrade the wide positions. Wenger has been pretty pro active surrounding the striker position recently be it identifying targets or changing players positions.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
we use injuries to avoid saying that the player is not convincing the manager, or that we just want to bench someone.
I'm not sure, I think it's legitimate. Might still be bothered by the injury he got here:
That injury was actually the worst thing that could have happened to him. Walcott and Welbeck were out at the time and Ox was playing poorly, it would've been the perfect opportunity for Lucas to get a run.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
@Taylor Gang Gunners I don't see how Welbeck returning put a spanner in the works unless that was always to be the intention. We signed Perez at the end of August and Welbeck while being back is still not 100% fit it's nearly March. There was no idea when he'd return and more importantly at what level he'd come back at. I like Welbeck (I'd actually like him Alexis and Perez as a front three) but it's been months and Perez should have been involved much more than he has been. Welbeck isn't the excuse or the issue for what happened it's our use of Walcott, Iwobi, Ox and to a lesser extent Alexis.

@tap-in I think he is good enough but still fits the panic buy mould. For the first three games Alexis started up top so clearly the decision was made early on that's his role and Giroud upon return would be the back up. Early on Walcott started on the right. The guy who was useless and on most outs list last season not only found himself back in the team but keeping his position. If Perez was to be a real solution his deal should have been done early and it made clear to Theo his days were up. Instead it was done at the death of the window when we failed in the pursuit of our early targets. I have no proof that it was an appeasement buy but my gut based on the games he has played, the players who continually letting us down getting games and the way we started the season and how Mustafi came in after him and has nailed his spot all lead me to the same conclusion. If anyone can offer any gut instinctive reasons for him not to be I'll gladly listen.

He was bought because Wenger didnt know how long Welbeck would be out, so that's not a panic buy, it was planned and required. Having realised he could score and assist you would think he would then be given more chances, that is my issue.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He was bought because Wenger didnt know how long Welbeck would be out, so that's not a panic buy, it was planned and required. Having realised he could score and assist you would think he would then be given more chances, that is my issue.
If Welbeck was fully back in a month I'd agree but we've had September, October, November, December, January and now February there has been ample time to play him. During that time Ox and Walcott has been injured, Alexis could have been rested, Iwobi could have used a break and Giroud went missing after a stunning run of form. Yet despite all this Perez was kept in the cold.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If Welbeck was fully back in a month I'd agree but we've had September, October, November, December, January and now February there has been ample time to play him. During that time Ox and Walcott has been injured, Alexis could have been rested, Iwobi could have used a break and Giroud went missing after a stunning run of form. Yet despite all this Perez was kept in the cold.

Yes there has been ample time, and in that time we have lost any chance we had in the PL & CL. Your points are the same points I ask my self every time I see the starting line up!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The simple truth is Perez has been very good more often than not when given the chance where it matters most, which is on ****ing match day.

The guy clearly has a lot of ability but Wenger hasn't a clue what to do with him.

This thing about Wenger only signing him because he didn't know how long Welbeck would be out for is ridiculous. Danny came back pretty much on time considering the severity of his injury. What difference should a couple of months shorter or longer make when you're about to drop the best part of £20m on a player you obviously rate anyway?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I dont really blame Wenger on this one. He clearly identified a striker he wanted early & expected to complete the deal... Its not on him Vardy made us wait so long & then decided to stay.

Looking back now Lacazette with his pace & dynamism was probably the correct call (even though at the time I was against it).... But with the huge Xhaka fee & two CB injuries no way Wenger was paying 50m.

In the ideal world Alexis will renew & we just upgrade the wide positions. Wenger has been pretty pro active surrounding the striker position recently be it identifying targets or changing players positions.

True , we also looked at Perez in the Jan window of last season , obviously not first choice but he knew what he was getting .

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not surprised at all he wanted out, he wasn't even given a fair chance.

I posted in the Theo thread, every player on form should be given a chance to play, however Theo came back straight away as first team starter regardless of others' form(Lucaz & Ox was on form back then).
Guess that's the nail in the coffin.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Not surprised at all he wanted out, he wasn't even given a fair chance.

I posted in the Theo thread, every player on form should be given a chance to play, however Theo came back straight away as first team starter regardless of others' form(Lucaz & Ox was on form back then).
Guess that's the nail in the coffin.
Wenger has invested too much time in Theo to admit he's anything but a success. I don't think we'll see him sold/demoted while Wenger is at the club.

That's MO anyway.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
If hes not in our future just sell him. No pulling another Campbell were we dont sell, but also dont rate him thus letting rot on the bench/see out his contract on loans and get nothing back.

What a pointless signing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom