• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: El Capitanø

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
A bit harsh. He's still 23. Özil at Madrid was ridiculous but look at the team around him. But lets not act like Özil's Arsenal career was so great that Ødegaard won't be able to get close to him in that regard. He has something that Özil hardly ever had with us which is his work rate. Yes he gets muscled off the ball just like Özil but he's not lazy.

He could also have gotten more assists if we had been more clinical in recent matches and even at the start of the season.
It's not really a worthwhile comparison. Yeah, Özil in the last generation's tactical landscape reached heights that Ødegaard is nowhere near, that's true. What's also true is that Özil in his prime doesn't really have a place in this side or almost any top side. But again, anachronistic comparisons...I don't know why we can't just be happy that we landed a very high quality modern 8 / 10 for relatively little, and that he's a big part of our success.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No way you compare Ødegaard and Özil. One was a certified world class player at 22. Whereas we're still babying the other one at 23. Ode will never reach Özil's top level. In hindsight, I was incredibly harsh on him tbh.

The double standard is staggering. He plays rubbish, people find reasons to explain it away. I guess it's part of the process.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
It's not really a worthwhile comparison. Yeah, Özil in the last generation's tactical landscape reached heights that Ødegaard is nowhere near, that's true. What's also true is that Özil in his prime doesn't really have a place in this side or almost any top side. But again, anachronistic comparisons...I don't know why we can't just be happy that we landed a very high quality modern 8 / 10 for relatively little, and that he's a big part of our success.
Tbf, many of the people who are big supporters of Øde like to compare him to Özil, so that might be why. In any case, they are very different in my view so I wouldn't mind the comparison dying. Not saying they are the same but I think players like Pedri, Messi, Iniesta are more relevant as I think there's more overlap in terms of the spaces in which they do their damage

samspade

No way you compare Ødegaard and Özil. One was a certified world class player at 22. Whereas we're still babying the other one at 23. Ode will never reach Özil's top level. In hindsight, I was incredibly harsh on him tbh.

The double standard is staggering. He plays rubbish, people find reasons to explain it away. I guess it's part of the process.
Özil had more vision and greater quality of final ball but in terms of positioning (which is Øde's strongest trait imo) they do totally different things and our tactical set up is totally different. I just don't find the comparison very helpful. Øde really is an elite presser too which is reliant on the structure around him

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Tbf, many of the people who are big supporters of Øde like to compare him to Özil, so that might be why. In any case, they are very different in my view so I wouldn't mind the comparison dying. Not saying they are the same but I think players like Pedri, Messi, Iniesta are more relevant as I think there's more overlap in terms of the spaces in which they do their damage
I mean, I can see some similarities. What I mean though is that Özil was obviously like the best of the last generation of a type of player that is now dead at the top level. More interesting to compare him to the best of his contemporaries, IMO, as I've done above, or as you're doing with Pedri.

samspade

I mean, I can see some similarities. What I mean though is that Özil was obviously like the best of the last generation of a type of player that is now dead at the top level. More interesting to compare him to the best of his contemporaries, IMO, as I've done above, or as you're doing with Pedri.
What do you think the similarities are? They are both left footed, and good at finding unexpected timings. But if you forget the footedness and just place them within the wider context of creative players, I find them quite far away from each other. Özil floated all over the pitch, liked to hit the ball with different parts of his foot to Øde (basically never used his laces) and rarely leveraged that angle where you take touches in field form the the opposite wing or half space to your footedness to open up angles (which is where Øde does a lot of his work). He didn't really contribute tempo control or control like Øde either, looked for the killer pass much faster.

Maybe I'm not knowledgable enough but I feel there's still some opportunity to use a free 10 like Ōzil, the Flick Bayern team was smashing it up not too long ago and I feal he would have been able to play in place of Muller, not that they are similar, just that the freedoms afforded by that system might have suited Mesut

Thejester

Its more of a future comparison rather than rn. its about the player that Ødegaard could become in the future. He's nowhere near Özil currently. I was just saying that Özil hit his prime very early and in terms of his Arsenal career had 2 stunning seasons and a few good ones. Ødegaard won't get to the playing abilities of Özil but he can still go on to have a better Arsenal career in my opinion with how the future is shaping up.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

He is important to the team in terms of achieving high turnovers and to keep us ticking in midfield. It doesn't sound glamorous, and he can definitely improve his end-product. But it's not as simple as upgrading him with a player who may have just a higher goal and assist output.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
What do you think the similarities are? They are both left footed, and good at finding unexpected timings. But if you forget the footedness and just place them within the wider context of creative players, I find them quite far away from each other. Özil floated all over the pitch, liked to hit the ball with different parts of his foot to Øde (basically never used his laces) and rarely leveraged that angle where you take touches in field form the the opposite wing or half space to your footedness to open up angles (which is where Øde does a lot of his work). He didn't really contribute tempo control or control like Øde either, looked for the killer pass much faster.

Maybe I'm not knowledgable enough but I feel there's still some opportunity to use a free 10 like Ōzil, the Flick Bayern team was smashing it up not too long ago and I feal he would have been able to play in place of Muller, not that they are similar, just that the freedoms afforded by that system might have suited Mesut
Similarities: spaces they like to pick up (between lines of course, especially in the inside right channel), dribbling style (fake pass / shot and continue cutting over onto left), impressive weight of final pass.*

*As with everything that has to do with on the ball ability, Özil is better in all the areas of similarity.

Not sure I agree with the bolded. Özil and Ødegaard both love to use mostly the inside of their foot both in passing and shooting (Özil had a nice chip for Real Madrid that we mostly saw in the form of his unbelievable and still makes-my-brain-explode--try to do this on a football pitch, I am honestly still baffled that he developed this technique--bounce the ball with the inside of your foot to make it act like a chip technique).

Re: the second bolded I'm not sure I agree either. This is still a big area of improvement for Ødegaard, for me. Özil I think contributed to tempo and control a bit more than you think. As Wenger would say, Özil had an innate sense of the right time to make the pass, even if it didn't look special. He was also better at receiving under pressure than Ode (no insult to Ode, few in the history of football have been bigger masters of receiving in the 10 space between the lines). I also don't think Özil was necessarily over direct. He also played for much more direct managers in Mourinho (duh), and Wenger, than Arteta, so that's a factor to take into consideration. But my point with Wenger's comments is that like Kroos, Özil just felt like AI for me at times, he just rarely made the wrong decision with when and which pass to make, not like other players who might've been good passers but had a directness to their game (Ramsey, Tierney now, or Raphinha for Barça) that you just couldn't coach out of it.

A_M Iniesta

No killer instinct like Bruno i.e , but its hard to be extremely critical of our guys , cause were number 1 mahn!! Arsenal as a team is rocking, generally cant complain with how this seasons' progressing, please buy smart this Jan.

Legend14

Established Member
I think Özil is a bizarre comparison. They are so different that you'd think they'd be perfect together.
I agree. I am sure Ødegaard can see the strengths of Özil and aspire to improve his game in certain areas ( final ball, spacing, cleverness), but he no slouch in these areas. In addition, he is strong in different areas such as pressing and tight spaces. Different players in my opinion.

In this team, Ødegaard ( when playing well) is a better fit for Arteta’s intentions.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
The chance he missed wasn't the problem, it wasn't a sitter at all really

It's how Jesus has to do his entire job while he just tracks back and we have to pretend that's useful contribution

Same happened with Laca back then, and you can see how it greatly restricts the attack regardless of who do you play in front of him

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I think Özil is a bizarre comparison. They are so different that you'd think they'd be perfect together.
Yeah, I don't think Özil would mind playing with someone who runs all day for his team and is technically sound at the same time

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
If we’re comparing him to Özil one thing they have in common is their away performances are way worse

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom