• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: El Capitanø

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I wouldn’t be against us moving for him. He’s obviously a good young player, just feel he’s a bit overhyped. He’s your archetypal British player in that his technique isn’t particularly clean or natural. His passing, dribbling, vision and tactical awareness just does not seem elegant. He’s got an engine and is industrious, does the simple things well. He’s basically a Steven Gerrard-lite. Which isn’t necessarily something to be ashamed of as I rated Gerrard highly.
I think Gerrard is a bad example because he had silky technique, passing range etc. but I know what you mean. Tielemans would be one player who could do all of those things (although his passing accuracy is pretty low for some reason). Gallagher's a bit more all action, with better pressing / defensive numbers and above all goals.

Strong case for either imo. With Gallagher or Paqueta I worry a bit whether they could play on the left side but not sure if that gets overstated sometimes.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
I think Gerrard is a bad example because he had silky technique, passing range etc. but I know what you mean. Tielemans would be one player who could do all of those things (although his passing accuracy is pretty low for some reason). Gallagher's a bit more all action, with better pressing / defensive numbers and above all goals.

Strong case for either imo. With Gallagher or Paqueta I worry a bit whether they could play on the left side but not sure if that gets overstated sometimes.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on Stevie G. He was never a silky player. He was an all-action all round top midfielder. The closest England have come to a truly silky player IMO was Gascoigne.

You only have to compare Gallagher to our own Ødegaard to get a picture of what I mean. Look at the difference between their first touch and the way they control, manipulate and pass the ball.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Fair enough England may have deserved the Scott Parker 'run's around a lot and shows passion' stereotype up until fairly recently.

These days England are producing players on a technical par with anyone in the world.
Thing is there isn't one size fits all in world football. Different leagues/teams require different styles. If it has the same effective and delivers results then who cares.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
We’ll have to agree to disagree on Stevie G. He was never a silky player. He was an all-action all round top midfielder. The closest England have come to a truly silky player IMO was Gascoigne.

You only have to compare Gallagher to our own Ødegaard to get a picture of what I mean. Look at the difference between their first touch and the way they control, manipulate and pass the ball.
Just because one looks better on the eye doesn't mean it's more effective.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Very exciting attack I must say. Surely their priority should be making Gallagher permanent though, he’s been a revelation.

Brand new training complex too. Exciting times for Palace fans.

Yeah shame they couldn’t get a buy option.

His level looks high. Wonder if the Chelsea issues will mean they keep him and Broja?

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Yeah shame they couldn’t get a buy option.

His level looks high. Wonder if the Chelsea issues will mean they keep him and Broja?
During times of uncertainty in the past they haven't been shy about leaning on their academy, I'd say so why not?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
True. Good job I never argued that it did.
No it just seems from your posts that you prefer the way a player plays rather than the effectiveness of what they do. The style v substance.

Obviously it's personal opinion what people find beauty in. But people saying "Gallagher is too British" is abit strange when playing in England.

Doubt the Spanish are saying their players are too Spanish.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Wtf? It's not the 80's, Britain/ England has some absolute ballers now. I kinda get what you mean in that he's quite direct, but I thinks that's what we need if we go for attacking 8's - they've got to have some bite as well as finesse.
Gallagher is a very good all round footballer, what separates him is his engine/desire.

He’s probably just a decent CM without it, but that engine allows him to basically be an extra attacker when you have the ball with no trace off defensively because he’s got the athleticism to get back. A cheat code basically.

If we’re trying to build some Pep style possession dominating ting then he might not fit in but for any other style of play he’s two players in one.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Salah is the best player in the league by a margin (imo) and he regularly snatches at shots and takes heavy touches.

Silkiness is overrated, that’s a lesson I only learned v.recently tbf.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
No it just seems from your posts that you prefer the way a player plays rather than the effectiveness of what they do. The style v substance.

Obviously it's personal opinion what people find beauty in. But people saying "Gallagher is too British" is abit strange when playing in England.

Doubt the Spanish are saying their players are too Spanish.

My only points were that i felt he’s tad overhyped and that I’m not a massive fan of his style.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Fair enough England may have deserved the Scott Parker 'run's around a lot and shows passion' stereotype up until fairly recently.

These days England are producing players on a technical par with anyone in the world.
I think that is probably somewhat understated, the change in quality of younger English players. Whether that is due to the structural changes made to the academy system, or simply down to coaching, I don't know. The results are clear enough.

Not sure you'd see someone like Lee Cattermole in the premier league anymore.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Gallagher plays as a 10 (or at the very least an attacking 8) with 2 defensive midfielders next to him...think that would **** up all our balance, playing him and Ødegaard together.

Quality player though, but my main target for next season would be Phillips...and with Leeds looking awful, we could easily get him.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Gallagher plays as a 10 (or at the very least an attacking 8) with 2 defensive midfielders next to him...think that would **** up all our balance, playing him and Ødegaard together.

Quality player though, but my main target for next season would be Phillips...and with Leeds looking awful, we could easily get him.
Is he even alive? He hasn’t played for months

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom