• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Martin Ødegaard

Who would you rather sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divided_Pie

Arteta is wedded to a 4231 with Ødegaard, but the key is having runners for him to hit and movement so that he has more freedom in possession.

My problem with him at the moment is that he operates in the right half space under Arteta. That means our right winger stays wide, because our right back doesn't have the athleticism to overlap.

I read a thread on Twitter the other day saying the quickest fix for Arteta would be mirroring what he does on the left on the right. Basically getting the width from both full backs like Liverpool do rather than 1 full back and 1 winger as only Saka can do that job and if he isnt available it falls apart. I don't think that would work as we don't have monsters like Fabinho, VVD and Konate.

Personally, I feel the easiest fix for Arteta to create problems for the opposition is in the transfer market. Ødegaard is one piece but a RB and a CF who attacks the ball is a must. I would flip ESR to the right as he is effective from there. Having a rb who can do what Tierney does would allow us to tuck in either full back and attack from both sides.

-------------------------New cf
Saka-----------------Ødegaard-------------ESR
----------------Lokonga-----Partey
Tierney--------------------------------------Emerson

Now say we build up down the left.

Tierney-----------New CF------------ESR
----------------Saka----------------Ødegaard
----------------Lokonga--------------Emerson
---------------------------------Partey
--------------------Gabriel----------White

It would look like something above. Tierney and Saka would be building up down the left with Lokonga covering the left half space and a striker in the box. If we need to recycle it can come to the right and instead of Tierney staying up he could retreat and let Saka take up the wide position.

Saka-----------------New CF------------Emerson
------------------------------Ødegaard------ESR
--------Tierney-------Lokonga-------Partey
----------------------Gabriel------White

Then you have triangles down the right with Emerson, Ødegaard, ESR and deep progressions from Partey. If you switch it to the left with a long diagonal you have Saka 1v1 rather than Tierney. There is always a presence on the box.

Ødegaard being in the right half space isnt a problem if he has a right footer out side of him. Give him two right footers who can run past him.and interplay and you have a triangle.

This system allows a 2 3 5 when attacking but allows build up down both sides and wit a genuine target in the middle it offers threat from multiple areas.

Where this would leave players like Martinelli, Pepe and Auba is an issue. None of them suit this system and unless Martinelli converts into an all action cf, I could see Arteta wanting to move them all on. After he completely tanks their value ofcourse.

I like how you're looking at this, but there are a couple of problems:

1. Getting a new CF and RB is probably a big ask at this stage.
2. Pepe doesn't fit anywhere in this. On the left he's fighting Tierney for the left wide space, and on the right he's fighting Ødegaard for the right half space.

I actually think we can accomplish a good attacking structure with the players we have, simply by changing the formation to a 3-5-2.

Pepe prefers the right half-space because he has a great shot from there on his stronger left foot. Similarly, Auba prefers the left half space. Essentially they like to play as inside forwards.

Let's assume that with Ødegaard on board there will be less of a need for Laca to play as a false 9, and Ødegaard can occupy the middle zone - finding space, controlling the ball, and transitioning it to the other attackers. Auba is also more likely than Laca to stick around due to his contract.

Now the wide areas. As you alluded to, with inverted inside forwards, you need non-inverted players to overlap (or underlap even) to clear out the half spaces. Here we have Saka and ESR as wingbacks on the left and right, respectively. So you end up with the 2-3-5 attacking shape looking like this:

-------Auba-------Pepe
-
Saka--------MO--------ESR
-
-
---KT3-----Sambi----Partey
-
-
------Gabriel------White
-
-------------Leno

Depending on which side the buildup happens on, KT and White can take turns moving up to the midfield line. Sambi to operate mostly as a DLP. KT3 and Partey would make occasional runs forward, swapping with Saka and ESR -- so we don't lose KT3 as a wide crossing option - we just don't rely on it as much.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Auba
ESR (Pepe) --- Ødegaard --- Saka (Pepe)
Xhaka --- Thomas
Tierney --- Gabriel --- White --- Chambers

Is a decent team. Badly need a new RB though and to replace the bolded.

Happy with that attacking midfield depth with 4 players of definite starting quality (Martinelli a 5th if he makes the jump), 2 of which can play 10 (ESR and Ødegaard...Saka too in a pinch), and all of which can play wide.

Looking forward to seeing Ødegaard in Arsenal colours again. This is a good squad and this season it's time for Arteta to put up or shut up. He also really needs to make Auba work at 9 because behind those 3 there's a lot of creativity and quality and there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be scoring 25 goals.

Gunners1616

Auba
Xhaka --- Thomas

tenor.gif

AMN has all the attributes to be a good RB...

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Remember our team is young we only adding players are 24 or under so doesn't matter Arteta gone or stay these group of players like ESR Tierney Saka Martinelli the guys we signed this window all going to see 3 or more managers. Arteta won't stay forever no manager average 2-3 years in modern football unless you called Klopp or Pep

GunnerShy

It looks a good buy at the reported €35m figure.

He had a good loan deal. Took a little bit to get up to fitness and had a set back with injury but is going to work well with the attack we have. Definitely has a better eye for a pass than everyone except maybe Saka.

Id like to see the club move for Auoar as well.
Assuming a keeper comes in, that'd be enough business this summer for me.

Next summer it'd be RB and CF but I don't think you can think about CF until Lacazette is gone.

Gn1212

Auba
Xhaka --- Thomas

Happy with that attacking midfield depth with 4 players of definite starting quality (Martinelli a 5th if he makes the jump), 2 of which can play 10 (ESR and Ødegaard...Saka too in a pinch), and all of which can play wide.

Looking forward to seeing Ødegaard in Arsenal colours again. This is a good squad and this season it's time for Arteta to put up or shut up. He also really needs to make Auba work at 9 because behind those 3 there's a lot of creativity and quality and there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be scoring 25 goals.
As someone suggested, AMN is that guy if he's up for it. Quick, great composure, a very good dribbler and defender. Needs go work on his delivery (like most of the right backs we've been linked barring Hakimi) but he's got the tools. He's HG too. Give him the keys and see how it goes.
There are a couple of young promising RBs out there but I'm still not sold on most of them. Keep monitoring and revisit the position next summer if AMN doesn't convince.
I don't think his value will drop if he gets consistent game time at Arsenal.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I like how you're looking at this, but there are a couple of problems:

1. Getting a new CF and RB is probably a big ask at this stage.
2. Pepe doesn't fit anywhere in this. On the left he's fighting Tierney for the left wide space, and on the right he's fighting Ødegaard for the right half space.

I actually think we can accomplish a good attacking structure with the players we have, simply by changing the formation to a 3-5-2.

Pepe prefers the right half-space because he has a great shot from there on his stronger left foot. Similarly, Auba prefers the left half space. Essentially they like to play as inside forwards.

Let's assume that with Ødegaard on board there will be less of a need for Laca to play as a false 9, and Ødegaard can occupy the middle zone - finding space, controlling the ball, and transitioning it to the other attackers. Auba is also more likely than Laca to stick around due to his contract.

Now the wide areas. As you alluded to, with inverted inside forwards, you need non-inverted players to overlap (or underlap even) to clear out the half spaces. Here we have Saka and ESR as wingbacks on the left and right, respectively. So you end up with the 2-3-5 attacking shape looking like this:

-------Auba-------Pepe
-
Saka--------MO--------ESR
-
-
---KT3-----Sambi----Partey
-
-
------Gabriel------White
-
-------------Leno

Depending on which side the buildup happens on, KT and White can take turns moving up to the midfield line. Sambi to operate mostly as a DLP. KT3 and Partey would make occasional runs forward, swapping with Saka and ESR -- so we don't lose KT3 as a wide crossing option - we just don't rely on it as much.
To be honest, I think we have a back 3 squad. However ESR at wingback would be a waste.

Divided_Pie

To be honest, I think we have a back 3 squad. However ESR at wingback would be a waste.
But once the buildup happens he still ends up in the right wide space like in the setup you described. I would also see him cutting towards goal in front of Pepe a fair amount and putting in a lot of near post shots and cutbacks in that way. He likes to pass and move, and Pepe draws enough attention that ESR could get a lot of opportunities playing off of Pepe.

He could also get some time at CAM when MO isn't playing there. I guess it sort of comes down to whether you rate Pepe... it may not be ideal to play ESR at RWB but it's also not ideal to not have a place for one of your best G+A providers.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
Isn’t this the same team as last season + Ben White and Ramsdale?

:lol:

Is this the big summer window that they were promising?!
No Ødegaard came in for the 2nd half of the season and we finshed 3rd in league position.

We've added 2 other players to the 1st team along with Ødegaard.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

No Ødegaard came in for the 2nd half of the season and we finshed 3rd in league position.

We've added 2 other players to the 1st team along with Ødegaard.

Please don’t say you believe this 3rd in the league position stuff?

It’s RAWK-esque when they used to make their own league after January during those transition years at Anfield.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Everyone forgetting my boy Sambi, will bench Xhaka no problem.

Sadly Partey's constant injury state, may open up another starting spot for Granit :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady
Top Bottom