• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

vijay

Hates Guendouzi for no reason
That being said, I think we can all gratefully admit that Emery is getting more out of these guys than Wenger was.

i think there is a need for a "Emery vs Arsène" thread.

Maybe you can make one, rather than posting this here.

It is surprising that post operative Lacazette, one year more experienced Iwobi, bedded in Aubameyang etc are showing better perfomances.

I attribute it to the amazing crowd support and Kroenke finally committing to the club.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That being said, I think we can all gratefully admit that Emery is getting more out of these guys than Wenger was.

The real question is whether or not this is merely a honeymoon phase or if Emery and his style have any staying power.
That’s true, Emery is indeed an excellent manager and a worthy successor to Wenger in terms of his footballing style, attention to detail and humility.

But we also have to remember that the players have a lot more freedom now. They’re able to play without the weight of all that social media, rants, memes, planes, banners and **** housery that went on for the last couple of years.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The difference is that top 4 was Wenger's ceiling, whereas it's just a means to an end for Emery. CL football will help recruitment to build a team that challenge for the title in 19/20.
Top 4 was never Wenger’s ceiling as the 49 game unbeaten run showed.

Big fan of Emery, but he’ll be lucky to get anywhere near that.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Whilst I love Emery, still feel so sorry for Arséne.

Expectations have changed. Emery will be praised if he gets top 4 and manages to stay in there. Wenger was vilified and mocked for doing just that.

He was vilified and mocked for the lack of improvement over the seasons, and then came regression. And his squad has bottled the title the year Leicester has won it.

He's made huge mistakes that in the end have cost him his job.
Even though we agree he's the best manager we ever had and has achieved incredible things.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

He was vilified and mocked for the lack of improvement over the seasons, and then came regression. And his squad has bottled the title the year Leicester has won it.

He's made huge mistakes that in the end have cost him his job.
Even though we agree he's the best manager we ever had and has achieved incredible things.
He made top 4 for 20 years straight which is an unbelievable achievement. As Mourinho will probably tell you this year.

The last two years he had no chance with all the pressure from the fans, the media etc.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Against Fulham, our fans were singing "we've got our Arsenal back". It was great to hear but I'd like to know what "our Arsenal" is. Is it free flowing attacking football? Wonder goals? Top players doing the business? If it is, that's Arséne's brand that's stamped on our club forever. It was a wonderful,long overdue return even without Arsène himself and I smiled as life and football is funny (and cruel) at times isn't it?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I don't want to see any Wenger/Emery comparisons and I definitely don't want a thread about it. What Wenger did for the club and the fans is incredible and his legacy will never be forgotten. His final few years are not what I will remember him by so to compare how we were last season under Wenger, and how we are now under Emery, is completely wrong. I love the fact that Arsenal fans are enjoying supporting their club once again but I will never blame Wenger for our decline because it should never have been his decision to stay as long as he did. Wenger in his prime was amazing, if Emery in his prime is anything like that I'll be very happy.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Wenger/ Emery thread great idea. I’d only have one post though.

Both class acts, intelligent, meticulous, love attacking football, and very likeable characters without egos. Could never ever criticise either of them. We’ve been incredibly lucky to have them.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

The difference is that top 4 was Wenger's ceiling, whereas it's just a means to an end for Emery. CL football will help recruitment to build a team that challenge for the title in 19/20.

Don't want to see you in this thread again mate ;)

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

:lol: Should've said 'became' instead of 'was'.

To balance this thread out, Emery won't go a season unbeaten or do the double multiple times.

I'm kidding :D..... to be truthful I felt he was a bit burnt out after 2013/2014 spent too much time having to manage the budget .

Don't want to jinx things but the enormity of Lacazette and Aubameyang potential is dawning on me and we have so many options and combos going forward especially if Ramsey is happy to play on the wing .

Actually think Emery and this current Arsenal suit each other . I was thinking top 4 at the start of the season but am actually thinking we can aim a bit higher.

Reactions: A_G

vijay

Hates Guendouzi for no reason
I'm kidding :D..... to be truthful I felt he was a bit burnt out after 2013/2014 spent too much time having to manage the budget .

Don't want to jinx things but the enormity of Lacazette and Aubameyang potential is dawning on me and we have so many options and combos going forward especially if Ramsey is happy to play on the wing .

Actually think Emery and this current Arsenal suit each other . I was thinking top 4 at the start of the season but am actually thinking we can aim a bit higher.

I felt the same, but then I saw how he changed to a back 3 and delivered an FA cup. I agree he had lost enthusiasm for a top4 trophy / consolation fight. I think he knew you cannot win the league without a star striker, and was so desperate that he even tried to sign Suarez and Vardy types. I liked that he made them offer him a new contract and then left.

Last season he had Santi gone, Sanchez sulking, Lacazette being operated on, Welbeck recuperating, Ramsey crocked, Kos broken down and Özil with back spasms.

Referees sticking the knife in. Fans sticking the knife in. New hirings by owners to replace his responsibilities. Anyone would burn out, but he stayed long enough to transition smoothly and help clear out a lot of old players and blood new ones.

If Wenger was enjoying a new manager honeymoon, with fans cheering and content, Lacazette and Aubameyang fit and firing and a trip to Fulham in the sunshine coming up... with no pressure of high expectations and no controversies/campaigns and media carnival happening..... then maybe we could have judged if he was still up to it, even at this age. The game definitely has moved on ...and he may have been no longer up to it, but to judge that from his last season is patently unfair.

Put any manager in that situation and lets see how well they would cope. Anyway, he won his last trophy in May 2016, last shield in Aug 2016, and he resigned in April 2017. After 22 yrs of service, I dont think anyone could accuse him of staying too long, though I know they do, the sons of bachelors.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Whilst I love Emery, still feel so sorry for Arséne.

Expectations have changed. Emery will be praised if he gets top 4 and manages to stay in there. Wenger was vilified and mocked for doing just that.

I think in many ways that is a testament to Wenger's legacy. He was always going to be judged on his previous success with the club. The landscape changed completely with Chelsea and Man City and the billions. That is not an excuse, that is a simple fact.

When it comes to the man himself, I have no doubt he will be cheering Emery on, and will love our every success on and off the pitch. He is no lesser a man.

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation
Top Bottom