• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the superior footballer?

• Total voters

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Of course you thing because I'm Arsenal fan that I should have wanted Henry to win the award but it really doesn't. I respect the award to much.

Even if it was wrong in that case which I have no idea off because I didn't follow football that much back then, only watched Arsenal and that's it.

It hasn't been wrong in last decade or so. Ronaldo and Messi have been the two best football players on the planet and shared the Ballon with them and it has chose the right player every year and even Messi fan boy can't argue against that.

Mate, when you say you respect the award, you saying you really respect the opinion of Wayne Rooney. And Roy Hodgson. And Ashley Williams. And Vanuato captain Fenedy Masauvakalo :lol:

The vast majority of the people voting on this award are people with knowledge on par with us, or even below. It's the people we **** on every week for their horrendous punditry on Sky Sports. Do you really respect the opinion of Jamie Carragher?

It's not a panel of experts.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Just watched a video on twitter of 50 clear cut chances he created for Barcelona this season that his teammates squandered. It was amazing he literally put over half of them on a plate for his teammates.

I think his winner at the Bernabeau just summed it all up, he's been let down massively by his teammates and poor management in recent years. He's still the greatest ever for me.

Here's the videos.

Mate, when you say you respect the award, you saying you really respect the opinion of Wayne Rooney. And Roy Hodgson. And Ashley Williams. And Vanuato captain Fenedy Masauvakalo :lol:

The vast majority of the people voting on this award are people with knowledge on par with us, or even below. It's the people we **** on every week for their horrendous punditry on Sky Sports. Do you really respect the opinion of Jamie Carragher?

It's not a panel of experts.

I don't think this is getting us anywhere.

For me I think it is pretty obvious that players are invested in the award and they love to hold a one over each other so I will keep counting them for the players.

You've and others have made some strong points for Messi case. But I guess I disagree with you like when you said Hazard was better than Sanchez. There are certain things in football players that I rate higher than other just like people rate playmaking and silky dribbling skills above other football skills.

Maybe we can agree that Ronaldo and Messi have been the best players for last decade and if so at least Ballon is in agreement with us about top2. After agreeing on that we can keep fight about who is better but I don't think that is getting us anywhere either. :rolleyes:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I don't think this is getting us anywhere.

For me I think it is pretty obvious that players are invested in the award and they love to hold a one over each other so I will keep counting them for the players.

You've and others have made some strong points for Messi case. But I guess I disagree with you like when you said Hazard was better than Sanchez. There are certain things in football players that I rate higher than other just like people rate playmaking and silky dribbling skills above other football skills.

Maybe we can agree that Ronaldo and Messi have been the best players for last decade and if so at least Ballon is in agreement with us about top2. After agreeing on that we can keep fight about who is better but I don't think that is getting us anywhere either. :rolleyes:

The players wanting to win it has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the award. It's a big media thing which grants them a ton of sponsor money, so of course they want to win it.

Honestly, I would just like if you would answer the question. It is fairly simple, really:

Do you respect the opinion of Jamie Carragher? Roy Hodgson? Rio Ferdinand? John Terry? N'Diaye Oumar? Christian Fuchs? Arda Turan? Gervinho? Martin Skrtel?

If you do not respect these people's opinions individually, then you cannot respect the Ballon d'Or. It is as simple as that, really. You can't have your cake and eat it too. This isn't about Messi vs. Ronaldo specifically, it's about using the Ballon d'Or as a meaningful evaluation of how good a player is/was. It has always been a joke, from a professional point of view. However, it is obviously extremely valuable in terms of exposure, sponsorships and how the casual viewer views you.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
Messi is clearly the better all-round player between the two but I personally believe our team need a player like Ronaldo more than one like Messi.

Messi's 50 bottled assists would at least be doubled here. All Ronaldo care about is scoring and theoretically speaking, that would be better for us.

The players wanting to win it has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the award. It's a big media thing which grants them a ton of sponsor money, so of course they want to win it.

Honestly, I would just like if you would answer the question. It is fairly simple, really:

Do you respect the opinion of Jamie Carragher? Roy Hodgson? Rio Ferdinand? John Terry? N'Diaye Oumar? Christian Fuchs? Arda Turan? Gervinho? Martin Skrtel?

If you do not respect these people's opinions individually, then you cannot respect the Ballon d'Or. It is as simple as that, really. You can't have your cake and eat it too. This isn't about Messi vs. Ronaldo specifically, it's about using the Ballon d'Or as a meaningful evaluation of how good a player is/was. It has always been a joke, from a professional point of view. However, it is obviously extremely valuable in terms of exposure, sponsorships and how the casual viewer views you.

I respect everyone's opinion and in this case there are more who vote and I thing in the end the right decision is made. Some may pick their favorite when voting and not basing on the information, but given how this award splits between the two best players in last decade I like to think most are taking well informative decision when voting.

Like I said the players like to win this thing. Its important to them. And with everything else for me Ronaldo edge it who is better in last four years.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Messi has the been best individual player this season by a long way (12 more goals than Ronaldo in the league, more assists and chance after chance created for his teammates). I actually have suarez in at second place this season ahead of Ronaldo. However we all know the Balloon D'or goes the best team that season best player instead of the best individual performance throughout the year.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
To me this award for best footballer has to go to Messi. While I appreciate both of them I will explain why I beleive Leo to be better. Probably been done to death but here goes...

While CR7 was gifted with a body made for this game, Messi was not. Granted they both have to train hard and I am not taking anything away from CR7's massive dedication to this sport, his career and his fitness. Although I still feel as if, with no training, he got the physique for this. Messi has had to battle against players much bigger than him and physically more adept to this sport. Still he has come out on top.
Another thing I have noticed is that while they both go for goals often, Messi seems to integrate his team mates into a game more often than Ronaldo. CR7 is a stingy player, and while that works because of his immense talent, it does hinder them at times. Simply put, you can fit Messi into virtually any team. CR7 needs to have a team built around him and his ego.

Anyway, that's just my view.

Wilshere1010

Messi's playing style is efficient but dull.
If he could do 1/10th of Ronaldinho's tricks, he will be less boring.
You really think so? Its all opinion who you find entertaining but I enjoy watching Messi more than anyone apart from Ronaldinho. Every time he gets the ball I'm waiting for him to beat three or four players and do something special.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I'm glad Ronaldo has forced his way into this debate, 3-4 years ago you'd catch people saying the Brazilian Ronaldo was better etc. which is complete guff, as good as he was.

We're basically in a golden era here, players like Ibrahimovic would be considered the best in the world in basically any other generation of forwards, but no one even mentions him. Just tells you how good these two are.

Song Billong

I'm glad Ronaldo has forced his way into this debate, 3-4 years ago you'd catch people saying the Brazilian Ronaldo was better etc. which is complete guff, as good as he was.

We're basically in a golden era here, players like Ibrahimovic would be considered the best in the world in basically any other generation of forwards, but no one even mentions him. Just tells you how good these two are.

Exactly. In my mind Messi and Ronaldo are clearly in a tier unto themselves.

Everyone else is fighting over who is the 3rd best player in town.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough

Latest posts

Top Bottom