• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I’m not judging Pepe and I think he’s actually shown a lot more than people give him credit for. However, I hate how some people need to watch a player for 10 years before you’re allowed to judge their performances.

I knew Torreira was rubbish by February but some people still tell me he hasn’t been here long enoigh.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Its a bit of a piss take when he makes a massive transfer to a big club & has either a forward on the other side or two raw kids.

Most of the time when any wide player has a huge season the other side of the pitch is key. We have provided him with little on the opposite flank & not really set the team up for width.

Hopefully he can explode shortly... Or just sign his boy Bamba in January.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
It was about 10 games before people started the #Emeryout camapign.

People wanted #lacaout before the guy had even kicked a ball for us, the sentiment still inexplicably persists for some.

So in the spirit of the above I’m going to state that from what I’ve seen of this guy so far, he is a slightly improved version of Theo and I will be demanding his head on a plate if he’s not firing in a few more games.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Not as confident as I once was, I still think long term he’ll be okay but we might not see anything until the second half of the season.

He’s simply not getting chances, every shot on goal he’s getting is being created by himself.

I guess that’s more of a Unai Emery Etxegoien issue than a Pepe issue.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Not as confident as I once was, I still think long term he’ll be okay but we might not see anything until the second half of the season.

He’s simply not getting chances, every shot on goal he’s getting is being created by himself.

I guess that’s more of a Unai Emery Etxegoien issue than a Pepe issue.

I think he’s somewhat struggling more so because defenders have somewhat found him out. They realized to back off him a bit (as he can turn/cut on a dime) vs stay tight like Burnley and Liverpool did, that he won’t use his right foot and thus he only wants/can cut onto his left and move central into more defenders where his only option is a shot from distance.

Bellerin coming back and being a good overlapping threat will help, but despite some great dribbling he seems pretty one dimensional once he gets into the final third and it’s up to him to give defenders something else to think about aswell.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I think he’s somewhat struggling more so because defenders have somewhat found him out. They realized to back off him a bit (as he can turn/cut on a dime) vs stay tight like Burnley and Liverpool did, that he won’t use his right foot and thus he only wants/can cut onto his left and move central into more defenders where his only option is a shot from distance.

Bellerin coming back and being a good overlapping threat will help, but despite some great dribbling he seems pretty one dimensional once he gets into the final third and it’s up to him to give defenders something else to think about aswell.
Dribbles are all well and good but they’re never the main source of any goal scoring wide players chances. See Salah, Mane, Sterling etc.

One of Pepe’s strengths at Lille were the runs in behind, it’s not like he was taking on his defender for every goal he scored. How many times has Pepe been presented with a chance this season after making a run? I think we could count that on one hand. He’s currently being relied on to create every single chance for himself and that’s just bad management.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Every time this guy gets the ball on the right flank he’s got two men on him. You’d think that when you have two defenders on you it’s freeing up some space but no one is making themselves available for a give and go, Ceballos was ****e today.

When Pepe was 1on1 with defenders when we had 11 men he was causing issues (either cutting in and shooting/crossing or taking it to the byline). But right now he’s not being managed well, I can’t wait for Bellerin to return to help him out properly (AMN’s attacking is very weird and not complimentary whatever winger we play, you can tell he’s a box to box player playing at Right back)

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Dribbles are all well and good but they’re never the main source of any goal scoring wide players chances. See Salah, Mane, Sterling etc.

One of Pepe’s strengths at Lille were the runs in behind, it’s not like he was taking on his defender for every goal he scored. How many times has Pepe been presented with a chance this season after making a run? I think we could count that on one hand. He’s currently being relied on to create every single chance for himself and that’s just bad management.

Problem I see it is PEA is better at being the one to run in behind, especially when he’s playing at CF, so that makes him be the one who need to create on the wing. With that said I think he’s a bit better with Laca as he plays the Firminho role of bringing/playing in PEA/Pepe pretty well imo, despite it not being ideal as someone is always playing out of their preferred position.

Pepe got his first goal in and Laca should be back after the upcoming break along with Bellerin (*touch wood* on both) so I hope for a big upturn soon. Even better if starts a few weeks early and rips up United next week.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Problem I see it is PEA is better at being the one to run in behind, especially when he’s playing at CF, so that makes him be the one who need to create on the wing. With that said I think he’s a bit better with Laca as he plays the Firminho role of bringing/playing in PEA/Pepe pretty well imo, despite it not being ideal as someone is always playing out of their preferred position.

Pepe got his first goal in and Laca should be back after the upcoming break along with Bellerin (*touch wood* on both) so I hope for a big upturn soon. Even better if starts a few weeks early and rips up United next week.
What’s better than one player making runs in behind? Two players making runs in behind!

I always thought one of our issues was not having multiple runners but it seems Emery is happy with one having one advanced player making those runs. The only other players who seem to have that freedom are the fullbacks. If he bought Pepe here just to take away his strengths I’ll be fuming. Let’s see what happens when Hecćy returns.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Got a lovely left foot. Doing nice things all the time. He's a big part of this club going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom