• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Nicolas Pepe (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Pepe has always been one of my preferred players on FIFA (call me mental), always started Saka on the left & Martinelli off the bench. Imo he's nowhere near as bad as people think he is if people use him in the right way. Via FIFA he is definately worth it. He's abused like Özil was too much when he was here.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Pepe has always been one of my preferred players on FIFA (call me mental), always started Saka on the left & Martinelli off the bench. Imo he's nowhere near as bad as people think he is if people use him in the right way. Via FIFA he is definately worth it. He's abused like Özil was too much when he was here.

He’s got good pace, dribbling and shooting which is why he can be so good on that game.

It’s his overall game that’s lacking. He’s also very hot or cold from game to game. But how can you play yourself into any kind of form when you’re not playing consistently? I could see him wreaking havoc in this PSG team in Ligue 1. Just to keep Messi fresh for Champions League nights that is.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

He’s got good pace, dribbling and shooting which is why he can be so good on that game.

It’s his overall game that’s lacking. He’s also very hot or cold from game to game. But how can you play yourself into any kind of form when you’re not playing consistently? I could see him wreaking havoc in this PSG team in Ligue 1. Just to keep Messi fresh for Champions League nights that is.
Personally on FIFA I've always preferred players with good pace in the front 3 that can shoot from out wide & on the counter. That's why I've always used Pepe well.

Yes he lacks decent #9 play hence why Arteta doesn't use him or like him but how I play FIFA he's my type of player. Everyone prefers different type of players.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Getting any kind of a fee from him should be considered a success.

Trips up over himself, struggles to pass, or do anything when under pressure. His "talent" and "breakthroughs" that were always going to happen, next match, next half season, next season etc. never came. Its not that he didnt make the most of his talent he just didnt have enough to deliver in a very competitive league.

The proof is in the pudding and hes been shocking since he arrived, with good performances being the exception. Mkhitarayn who had similar returns in goal returns in the premiership but contributed much more to all round play was let go on a free and I cant see many clubs willing to take much of a gamble on Pepe so we'll probably get nothing for him.

mpower2540

It's really bizarre to me how a team that needed goals never actually managed to put both Saka and Pepe on the pitch at the same time anywhere near enough. Especially as ESR and Martinelli both completely dried up from January.

Token Yank

Didnt we pay 17m for Perez? Guy had 3 starts for us 😂 Top notch scouting there. He scores like 4 goals a season on average
I believe the Athletic had an article that our head scout said no to Perez, he was a mid table player at best and Baldy overruled him and made the transfer.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
He's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. I can't take his measure, and if I tried, it would not be to his benefit.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Only Perez and Gervinho?

Perez.
Jeffers?
Sonogo?
Myachi?
Campbell?
Silva?
Wreh?
Welbeck?
Podolski? (Criminally under used)
Chamakh?
Gervinho.
Park?
Vela?
Bendtner?
Baptista?
Lupoli?
Diawara?

Wenger’s tenure was littered with poor signings all over the pitch, but also some great ones, which is the same as any manager.
Take a look at Klopps signings for example. Most didn’t work out.

The reason Pepe didn’t make it is because he’s not good enough for the PL. Too much of a liability at this level. He can get away with it in the French league and would be better off going back there.
Wow you’ve really come here with the intent on earning that worst poster in the world award haven’t you? Haven’t even eased yourself into it, crazy.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I think 2 things can be true at once though. He's absolutely been mismanaged by Arteta and I am on record probably a dozen times or more saying as much. That said, when you're in a country for 3 years and apparently still don't speak the language, something that is very very important to maximize your ability to receive information and communicate there is no way I can consider you fully committed and professional. That's inexcusable really. So while he's been done zero favors here, he also hasn't done himself any favors. If I throw you overboard then I'm 100% the asshole but that doesn't mean you don't at least try to tread water.
Do you think the same about PL hall of gamer Sergio Aguero? If Pepe was banging them in I don’t think you’d be questioning his commitment because he can’t speak conversational English.

I felt there were times last season or the season before where he could have definitely done more of the intangibles on the pitch but it’s easy for us to demand commitment from someone who has probably always felt like the manager doesn’t like them. Much easier said than done to show dedication/commitment in that situation.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Pépé not trying enough or being good enough is 100% recency bias. He downed tools this season, especially the second half where he pretty much was chained to the bench.

Last season Nico had 16g5a in 2829 mins across all comps. Saka this season has 12g7a in 3359 mins. That’s a goal contribution every 135th min vs one every 177th min. And Saka is our player of the season.

Pépé’s lack of impact here is solely down to being misunderstood and misused. Square peg, round hole situation and the responsibility of not being able to put such an asset to better use is Arteta’s and no one else’s.

Not good enough my ass

Not really fair comparing the stats of a 27 year old senior footballer signed for 72 million with the stats of a 20 year old homegrown and calling foul.

Pepe didn't perform up to expectation under Emery either. He underwhelmed, and that is just a fact, I'm afraid. Arteta mistreating him and misusing him is not up to debate and I agree he downed tools this season, but I'm judging based on past seasons.
Whether he can perform better under another manager is a possibility. We'll have to wait and see.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Do you think the same about PL hall of gamer Sergio Aguero? If Pepe was banging them in I don’t think you’d be questioning his commitment because he can’t speak conversational English.

I felt there were times last season or the season before where he could have definitely done more of the intangibles on the pitch but it’s easy for us to demand commitment from someone who has probably always felt like the manager doesn’t like them. Much easier said than done to show dedication/commitment in that situation.

Pepe is a weird one. On his day he looked like Arjen Robben but even under Emery I just felt he looked limited.

I believe under a Klopp he’d have been decent but I still debate whether his ceiling is a Jota type player.

Provides you pure end product but at the top level he can’t really deliver much else.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Pépé not trying enough or being good enough is 100% recency bias. He downed tools this season, especially the second half where he pretty much was chained to the bench.

Last season Nico had 16g5a in 2829 mins across all comps. Saka this season has 12g7a in 3359 mins. That’s a goal contribution every 135th min vs one every 177th min. And Saka is our player of the season.

Pépé’s lack of impact here is solely down to being misunderstood and misused. Square peg, round hole situation and the responsibility of not being able to put such an asset to better use is Arteta’s and no one else’s.

Not good enough my ass
Pepe played well in 20/21 season. But those stats are a bit muddled up. All comps in 2020/21 meant PL and Europa while this season was purely PL. Pepe's stats for PL alone in 20/21 was 10g1a in 1621 which is about 144 per minute. Saka in PL alone in 20/21 has 11g7a in 2996 minutes which is around 166 minutes per contribution. Saka created 8 big chances this season vs 1 big chance created by Pepe.

And we are not even looking at the defensive side of the game where Pepe falls really short compared to Saka.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
And we are not even looking at the defensive side of the game where Pepe falls really short compared to Saka.
Saka is way worse defensively than Pepe, not even close between the two. You could say that Saka is better in the middle third, better at ball retention etc but he's a much bigger liability in defence than Pepe.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah, that's a myth tbh. Been discussed to death in the past.

End of the day one was free which many prefer and one we paid for and didn't use, it just is what it is - hopefully this summer is the end of it.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Bendner, Chanakh, Welbeck, Podokski all performed under Wenger. The rest you mentioned are kids who ultimately weren’t good enough here or elsewhere at a high level.

Even Wreh scored important goals for Wenger.
Once Gervinho settled he was good for us too. Yes, his final ball was exasperating but you could see the quality there, his dribbling was insane. His partnership with Judas was very much key to our success that season.
Vela was key in the season he played regularly. He had no selling but he liked nightlife and parties.

We were financially constricted and we needed to gamble and that's what we did during those years, sometimes it paid off and sometimes it didn't.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Regarding Pepe, he is quality. It just did not work out for us. Blame Saka, blame changing managers, do whatever you want. The lesson here is that when you bring someone from a different country it is much harder to have them have instant impact and quickly adaptation, especially in wingers. It happens, he would be a good signing for any club in need of an inside forward.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
You could tell Pepe was rubbish in his first few games let’s be honest people were just deluding themselves cos he was new.

Looks like I was right again.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Not really fair comparing the stats of a 27 year old senior footballer signed for 72 million with the stats of a 20 year old homegrown and calling foul.

Pepe didn't perform up to expectation under Emery either. He underwhelmed, and that is just a fact, I'm afraid. Arteta mistreating him and misusing him is not up to debate and I agree he downed tools this season, but I'm judging based on past seasons.
Whether he can perform better under another manager is a possibility. We'll have to wait and see.
I’m not saying he should play over Saka, I’m making a comment regarding people calling him bad. Of course the bar is higher but it doesn’t make him a bad player. Bad signing, sure, but we could still have made much better use of him than Arteta has and he could still have been an important player.

Whether he performed to expectation or not in his first season is up to each and everyone to judge. I just know he was better in terms of goal contributions per 90 than Saka this year, in the 19/20 season as well. :shivering:

Makes you think about the quality of players this season… How standards of this fanbase have dropped smh

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I’m not saying he should play over Saka, I’m making a comment regarding people calling him bad. Of course the bar is higher but it doesn’t make him a bad player. Bad signing, sure, but we could still have made much better use of him than Arteta has and he could still have been an important player.

Whether he performed to expectation or not in his first season is up to each and everyone to judge. I just know he was better in terms of goal contributions per 90 than Saka this year, in the 19/20 season as well. :shivering:

Makes you think about the quality of players this season… How standards of this fanbase have dropped smh

Exactly right!!

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Pepe played well in 20/21 season. But those stats are a bit muddled up. All comps in 2020/21 meant PL and Europa while this season was purely PL. Pepe's stats for PL alone in 20/21 was 10g1a in 1621 which is about 144 per minute. Saka in PL alone in 20/21 has 11g7a in 2996 minutes which is around 166 minutes per contribution. Saka created 8 big chances this season vs 1 big chance created by Pepe.

Teta got to you, huh?

A winger is there to score and assist. Pépé has scored and assisted at a higher rate than Saka whenever he’s gotten consistent playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom