• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Nicolas Pepe (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 102404

Problem is when he plays himself into some kind of good form he’s dropped anyway. Saka’s going to start RW but Pepe showed some good stuff on the left as well. And with Laca stinking the place up would it have hurt to try Pepe as a CF?

I think the damage is done but I’ll be left with some what-ifs when Pepe leaves this club..
Fair - I would also have liked to see what he could at CF.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
With Fabio now here, we can let Pepe go...best for all.

Quality player, who just didn't fit Arteta's system, or Emery's to be honest...would be interesting to see what someone like Wenger could have done with him.

Is a flop, all things considered (not all his fault though) but played a big part in us winning our record 14th FA cup.

SK___

With Fabio now here, we can let Pepe go...best for all.

Quality player, who just didn't fit Arteta's system, or Emery's to be honest...would be interesting to see what someone like Wenger could have done with him.

Is a flop, all things considered (not all his fault though) but played a big part in us winning our record 14th FA cup.
he isn’t replacing vieira

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I actually think Pepe would be a good signing for toon. With being an automatic starter, getting the consistent run of games I can see easily get 10 or more goals for them. I think pepe one wing and Maxim the other would be very good for them.

Last edited:

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I actually thing Pepe would be a good signing for toon. With being an automatic starter, getting the consistent run of games I can see easily get 10 or more goals for them. I think pepe one wing and Maxim the other would be very good for them.
He'll be a bargain for whatever team gets him most probably.

Vanpayslip

He’s a better version of Walcott. He can easily score in the premier league. Any team that can handle him losing the ball occasionally (more likely a counter attacking team) would be getting a player that can score a good number of goals without playing in the middle.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
He’s a better version of Walcott.
Nah...

Walcott 12/13-14/15:

npG/A every 85min

Pépé 20/21-21/22 (leave out first season because he was adjusting to the league and we were absolutely crap)

npG/A every 173min (if you want to take out 21/22 and just include his best season, 20/21, it's npG/A every 161min)

In those seasons for Theo we averaged 70 G/season, and for Pépé we averaged 58 G/season, so there's that excuse to some extent, but then there are also offsetting factors, like the fact that a much greater percentage of Pépé's minutes came as a sub, where G/A numbers / min are greatly inflated, or that the player's quality itself also factors into our goalscoring numbers.

Long story short, there is just a huge, huge discrepancy in production, and no real argument to say anything but Walcott > Pépé.

Vanpayslip

Nah...

Walcott 12/13-14/15:

npG/A every 85min

Pépé 20/21-21/22 (leave out first season because he was adjusting to the league and we were absolutely crap)

npG/A every 173min (if you want to take out 21/22 and just include his best season, 20/21, it's npG/A every 161min)

In those seasons for Theo we averaged 70 G/season, and for Pépé we averaged 58 G/season, so there's that excuse to some extent, but then there are also offsetting factors, like the fact that a much greater percentage of Pépé's minutes came as a sub, where G/A numbers / min are greatly inflated, or that the player's quality itself also factors into our goalscoring numbers.

Long story short, there is just a huge, huge discrepancy in production, and no real argument to say anything but Walcott > Pépé.

Let’s not pretend player for Wenger = playing for Arteta. I doubt Walcott would be blazing it up under Arteta either if he was coming up today. Let’s just look at Auba. Under Wenger his numbers are sublime. Under Arteta he is a flop.

Not really a fair comparison to compare compare 12/15 of Wenger to anything Arteta. They are not even the same league as managers.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Let’s not pretend player for Wenger = playing for Arteta. I doubt Walcott would be blazing it up under Arteta either if he was coming up today. Let’s just look at Auba. Under Wenger his numbers are sublime. Under Arteta he is a flop.

Not really a fair comparison to compare compare 12/15 of Wenger to anything Arteta. They are not even the same league as managers.
Well, that's why I put the goals scored by the team during those seasons. I agree that's a factor but I'm not sure a difference of 12 team goals per season is enough reason to justify that massive difference in production level.

The Auba comparison isn't really fair because there's also decline factors in there. Auba's first season under Arteta his production was quite good. It started falling off but there are more variables there than just Arteta.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
So the key to boost a player's G/A numbers is benching them and bringing them on as a sub?
/ min subs G/A numbers are inflated, yes.

The fact that substitutes have a higher scoring rate means that you can’t directly compare Goals Per90 figures between players that regularly start and those who make frequent substitute appearances. Very simply, the substitute will have his numbers inflated and we would expect his Per90 numbers to drop in the event that he was handed a starting position.

It's the reason players like Morata had extremely impressive G/A per minute numbers at Madrid or Giroud had his best seasons of G/A per minute when he was coming on as a sub often.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
/ min subs G/A numbers are inflated, yes.

It's the reason players like Morata had extremely impressive G/A per minute numbers at Madrid or Giroud had his best seasons of G/A per minute when he was coming on as a sub often.
I'm not reading no moneyball statbomb nonsense, actually even gave it a click but the wall of text would take a lot more than I'm willing to give.

There are certain types of forwards who thrive in the scenario you describe, coming on after 70+ minutes against tired legs. Certain players like Inzaghi, Zickler, Solskjaer in the 90s or Morata later even made their careers off it, but that doesn't mean it's true across the board for anyone. Without checking I'm positive RVP's stats as a sub were hot trash compared to his stats as a starter, especially from 08 onwards.

You're completely ignoring the multitude of different reasons a player even starts the game on the bench - is it because he can't get past a better player in the lineup, because his skillset doesn't suit the rest of the team for the full 90 or simply because the manager doesn't trust him. Generally speaking however I didn't think anyone would doubt that players get better the more playing time they get.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Generally speaking however I didn't think anyone would doubt that players get better the more playing time they get.
No, statistically speaking that makes no sense, the more volume the less per minute efficiency you have, this is true in all sports (it's an important part of understanding NBA players ability, for example; the best players don't have the efficiency of others but their volume explains that).

Anyways, you don't have to read it. No one can force you to be open-minded about things and to reconsider your biases if you don't want to. :)

scytheavatar

Established Member

Wenger had Gervinho who is a better version of Pepe...... you just need to look at Gervinho to see how Pepe would have performed under Wenger. Pepe is a midtable player and has blatant flaws in his football IQ that Wenger will never be able to fix.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Wenger had Gervinho who is a better version of Pepe...... you just need to look at Gervinho to see how Pepe would have performed under Wenger. Pepe is a midtable player and has blatant flaws in his football IQ that Wenger will never be able to fix.
Very different players...the feeling I got from Gervinho was that he moved at a faster pace with the ball at his feet and eliminated defenders better on his day, but the stats don't really back that up, his dribbling statistics aren't better than Pépé's, nor are his statistics in any way, really.

Pépé is the superior player, especially when you consider he has far superior end product and key passes numbers than Gervinho did here, but yeah, definitely Pépé was always going to struggle in any combinative style of play, and Wenger's was certainly that.

Walcott was a unique player in that he had the personality to play a lot more off the ball, making runs always for others to find him and creating space with his movement and pace off the ball, a personality that Pépé and Gervinho just didn't have, which made him by far the best of the three, despite his unnatural style in possession and difficulties in combination play (which, at his best, he did a good job of keeping simple and keeping play moving without doing anything extravagant on the ball, something you can't say for Pépé and Gervinho).

In short, despite having the weakest technical skills of the three, Walcott was by far the best team player, and good at adapting his abilities to the needs of the team, and for that reason still managed to work in a combinative style despite lacking in combinative ability. And was far and away the best of the three any way you look at it.

Anyways, Pépé's numbers are scaleable, perhaps in Wenger's teams, given the 12 G difference, and factoring the drop off in ability between him and Walcott which will account somewhat in the 12 G difference on average, he would've scored and assisted every 120 minutes or so, or maybe even, taking into factor a weaker league during that period, he would've got to around once every 100-110 min. But there's just no way you can make any kind of reasonable argument that Pépé would go from the one every 173 he showed here under Arteta to the one every 85 that Walcott achieved during that period, you'd have to be rather mad to make that argument.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
No, statistically speaking that makes no sense, the more volume the less per minute efficiency you have, this is true in all sports (it's an important part of understanding NBA players ability, for example; the best players don't have the efficiency of others but their volume explains that).

Anyways, you don't have to read it. No one can force you to be open-minded about things and to reconsider your biases if you don't want to. :)
Statistically speaking what you're saying makes no sense, reducing a player's game time doesn't inevitably increase their efficiency especially not to the point it'd "boost" their figures that way.

GoonerBoy19

Gervinho had everything apart from first touch & finishing, he used to fluff chances few feets from the goal post and was extremely frustrating player. Theo couldn't dribble, he just had immense acceleration and finishing. He skinned almost all full backs with pure pace during his peak career.

Pepe is more of a dribbler and have good finishing, but his problem more with decision making and off the ball movement. Theo used to make some real amazing runs behind the full back.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Nah...

Walcott 12/13-14/15:

npG/A every 85min

The thing is Walcott despite playing right forward was typically the highest placed forward playing off the shoulder of the last defender being pinged through balls from Santi or Wilshere or flicks from Giroud. Pepe did thrive in a similar role at Lille and I think he would under Wenger's system. Neither Pepe or Walcott do well when they have the ball played to feet on the wing, which is what is asked of him under Arteta. I remember being frustrated when Walcott was playing a bit deeper and all he could do was maybe win a throwing. I still think Pepe can have a successful career in the right system for him. It just won't be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom