• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
We won, so lets instead moan about a struggling Willian being given a few minutes to get some momentum when we're 4-0 up instead of Pepe, who's already playing really well. Because that would be great squad management and make perfect sense.

Have a day off ffs :rolleyes:

Bloodbather

Established Member

I'd be concerned about his omission if I didn't know we have a European fixture coming up. He was likely being rested.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We won, so lets instead moan about a struggling Willian being given a few minutes to get some momentum when we're 4-0 up instead of Pepe, who's already playing really well. Because that would be great squad management and make perfect sense.

Have a day off ffs :rolleyes:
Weren’t you denying that Arteta doesn’t like Pepe?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
We needed someone that can actually keep the ball and defend aswell. Willian did that well when he came on. Pepe would have just tried to dribble stupidly in our half and give the ball away, in a game like this no chance Pepe can play.
Willian had ten touches and was dispossessed for five of them. He ran but was played around. Pepe up and down the pitch like in his last game would have done much more.

REWB

Willian had ten touches and was dispossessed for five of them. He ran but was played around. Pepe up and down the pitch like in his last game would have done much more.

I dont know, difficult to tell. Maybe Pepe would have lost possession aswell whilst being worse tracking back. But I get why people want Pepe to play. He's the big investment and more talented. We will see how he plays vs Benfica. Europa football suits him.

Impact

Established Member
Pépé is in a good run of form and arguably didn't deserve to be dropped but the decision yesterday was tactical I think.

The idea was to have three creators with good associative and combination play to play around the Leeds' press and give service to Auba.

Pépé has great individual quality but is a bit of a maverick. Combination football is not a strength of his and is likely why the others were favoured.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Fwiw I think Pepe was rested for Thursday. Even if he wasn't, are we really that mad about Auba/Saka/ESR started ahead of him? I've said for ages long term he needs to find another club but that's a discussion for summer.

I personally think he is one of our best attackers, but it is what it is. Not getting a run out from the bench isn't the end of the world, I'd rather we included Willian than freeze him out.

I will give Mikel the benefit of the doubt and assume Pepe is being rested for our important Benfica tie.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Fwiw I think Pepe was rested for Thursday. Even if he wasn't, are we really that mad about Auba/Saka/ESR started ahead of him? I've said for ages long term he needs to find another club but that's a discussion for summer.

I personally think he is one of our best attackers, but it is what it is. Not getting a run out from the bench isn't the end of the world, I'd rather we included Willian than freeze him out.

I will give Mikel the benefit of the doubt and assume Pepe is being rested for our important Benfica tie.
Think we are getting closer to what Man City is doing, and Arteta was there for a while: none of their players play every game like Salah or Mane would do for Liverpool. We have a group of 6 very good attacking players + Willian and everyone will contribute (except Willian). What was happening in the first half of the season was that Pepe was shut down in favor of Willian, which was obviously wrong on every level.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
I dont know, difficult to tell. Maybe Pepe would have lost possession aswell whilst being worse tracking back. But I get why people want Pepe to play. He's the big investment and more talented. We will see how he plays vs Benfica. Europa football suits him.
Except we might see Willian start instead. Lol

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I must admit I thought ESR would be rested vs Leeds and Pepe play. I dont see Arteta resting ESR for EL because its such a vital game. I also think Ødegaard will play Thurs, so I'm now thinking Pepe will miss out again. I'm ok with that, as long as he is on the bench with Martinelli and Willian is at home on the sofa.

Finesse

This is beyond rewarding form. Arteta has shown he can learn very quickly. He made this mistake of playing players in certain positions and formations until it clicked or they picked form. It failed woefully ! It nearly cost him a job. Now this team is picking itself. There is a desire for collective balance.

Arteta is focussing on players who can pass quickly , play simple and use space better and most of all better decision making in the final third. The last half against Villa was the sign of this to come. In the first 60 minutes Leeds just could not deal with the movement into space , quick passing and clever play in the final third. At times we played with no central player and the players where popping into spaces and drifting from wide into the box. Auba opener was like he was still operating from his time as a LW.

This is what is keeping Pepe out of the team. Despite his form , Arteta is going for cohesion and to make sure we are dangerous in transition and clinical in the final third. Yes Pepe has improved over the last few games and scored goals. However in between his inability to keep it simple , sometimes over commit , his decisions in the final third at critical times during games have not been the best.

Ability wise Pepe should arguably be our first in the team for forward positions but he has to play himself into that position. Willock got more opportunities than ESR ever got but never owned the role because of his limited technique / first touch and decision making. The engine is there with William but ESR is just superior and took his chance and never looked back. It’s just simply better technique , better decision making and ability to use space and options around him. At City Mahrez and Sterling faced same issues with their very individualistic tendencies to dribble one too many , always going for glory and poor decision making in the final third. Pep and Arteta has to work to cut this out and provide the balance on when to commit and when to play the quick pass and move to progress to goal. Today they have refined their game into top and consistent footballers. They are totally different footballers from the players they acquired from Liverpool and Leicester.

I am not against his recent form and he should have come on in place of Willian over the weekend.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Think we are getting closer to what Man City is doing, and Arteta was there for a while: none of their players play every game like Salah or Mane would do for Liverpool. We have a group of 6 very good attacking players + Willian and everyone will contribute (except Willian). What was happening in the first half of the season was that Pepe was shut down in favor of Willian, which was obviously wrong on every level.

I'm a little worried given the track record but it's only fair to give Arteta the benefit of the doubt.

And it makes sense that Pepe was rested rather than dropped.

I would've preferred to see Martinelli subbed in instead of Willian though.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Reckon that when Pepe scores a double against Benfica after being rested, it will be a testament to Arteta's man management skills and incredible work in mentoring wide players who have taken the next step under his tutelage like Sterling and Sane.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Reckon that when Pepe scores a double against Benfica after being rested, it will be a testament to Arteta's man management skills and incredible work in mentoring wide players who have taken the next step under his tutelage like Sterling and Sane.
I invest stonks in this scenario

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Alioski: "Sorry I called you out pre match, it was just banter...we cool?"

Pepe: "I am sorry, but I have no idea whom you are, tbh."

EuNpZ_bXEAQ8ao-

(Arrested Development sad walk music plays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom