• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mirrorstare

Touch and passing were off but still was a bright spark in attack at times, woke up just in time to see out the game comfortably.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Does that count as an assist for Nico today?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He's still like Bambi with a lump of hot coal. I dont see that changing, its his natural lack of control.
Got to be up there with the more frustrating players I've ever seen. What I do have to say is his good performances correlate with how quickly we move the ball forward from midfield and the back. He too often receives the ball to feet with his back to goal. Put a Cesc type player who plays early balls over the top and Pepe becomes a different beast.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Got to be up there with the more frustrating players I've ever seen. What I do have to say is his good performances correlate with how quickly we move the ball forward from midfield and the back. He too often receives the ball to feet with his back to goal. Put a Cesc type player who plays early balls over the top and Pepe becomes a different beast.
He reminds me of Hleb, who was frustrating as hell but in a different way. Yesterdays game was a good example of what Pepe is, very lively and productive, but then he just gives the ball away for free on a couple of occasions, which wasn't a big deal but I was just thinking like wtf is he doing :lol:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

It may help but it wouldn't help with his lack of control. I'm happy to keep him unless we were offered decent money, and I don't see that happening.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
He seems more direct on the left hand side. On the right, he always takes unnecessary touches and slows down play.

He very rarely tries to go past an opponent with his first few touches.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

He linked up very well with Saka yesterday, wonder if playing more of a 4-3-3 will bring the best out of him, especially if Madrid want to keep Ødegaard...

Partey
Saka-ESR
Pepe-Auba/Laca-Gabby
...don't even have to spend any money to play this team next season, something for Arteta to think about perhaps.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He linked up very well with Saka yesterday, wonder if playing more of a 4-3-3 will bring the best out of him, especially if Madrid want to keep Ödegaard...

Partey
Saka-ESR
Pepe-Auba/Laca-Gabby
...don't even have to spend any money to play this team next season, something for Arteta to think about perhaps.
If we take the way Ceballos was drifting wide left from midfield and imagine Saka doing it. That is something I'd really like to see tested but obviously that would take him away from the Pepe link up.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

He reminds me of Hleb, who was frustrating as hell but in a different way. Yesterdays game was a good example of what Pepe is, very lively and productive, but then he just gives the ball away for free on a couple of occasions, which wasn't a big deal but I was just thinking like wtf is he doing :lol:
My Salah comparison is accurate, Salah is just doing the same things at a higher level IMO. Both have weirdly inconsistent and unorthodox technique but overall get the job done. 😂 I’m tempted to say that Salah’s touch is even more inconsistent.

I think it’s a product of their football ‘upbringing’ more than anything. If Pepe got a consistent run of games people would see that the odd weird touch is offset by the positives he does bring.

There’s a difference between bad technique and inconsistent technique though and Pepe falls into the latter, definitely not the former. I think the inconsistency is exaggerated as well, lad is just under the microscope atm.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
My Salah comparison is accurate, Salah is just doing the same things at a higher level IMO. Both have weirdly inconsistent and unorthodox technique but overall get the job done. 😂 I’m tempted to say that Salah’s touch is even more inconsistent.

I think it’s a product of their football ‘upbringing’ more than anything. If Pepe got a consistent run of games people would see that the odd weird touch is offset by the positives he does bring.
Delete that stuff ASAP, there are enough haters here already, you're gonna invite more with that!

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He linked up very well with Saka yesterday, wonder if playing more of a 4-3-3 will bring the best out of him, especially if Madrid want to keep Ödegaard...

Partey
Saka-ESR
Pepe-Auba/Laca-Gabby
Like this idea! Pepe is a very productive player. Yes, his touch is a bit hit and miss, but like Gabby he makes things happen. With Saka and ESR behind that front 3 and Partey having the most defensive duties I think we could be on to something.

One thing with Pepe is that we need to stop expecting him to not give the ball away at times. He simply isn't a ball retainer. He will try a dribble, a nutmeg etc. more often than not. But that is also what I like about him. He has goals in him and helps open up defences really well. E.g. like his pass to Laca in the NLD for the penalty.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
For a team that creates as little as ours does I don’t see how it’s possible to leave out one of the few players capable of creating from nothing. I feel with Pepe he’s due a run of good form, an Aaron Ramsey like purple patch of 6 months of extreme goal scoring and assists. Hopefully it coincides with us winning something.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Like this idea! Pepe is a very productive player. Yes, his touch is a bit hit and miss, but like Gabby he makes things happen. With Saka and ESR behind that front 3 and Partey having the most defensive duties I think we could be on to something.

One thing with Pepe is that we need to stop expecting him to not give the ball away at times. He simply isn't a ball retainer. He will try a dribble, a nutmeg etc. more often than not. But that is also what I like about him. He has goals in him and helps open up defences really well. E.g. like his pass to Laca in the NLD for the penalty.
High risk high reward!

Wenger has made us all appreciate the low risk probing and patient build up way of doing things and for some of us it’s the only type of football we know. Alexis Sanchez at his peak was one of the most talented players in the world and towards the end a lot of Arsenal fans started to get frustrated at his risky through-balls and take on attempts even though it only needed to come off once to result in a goal.

Pepe’s situation is made worse because we don’t dominate games anymore, in recent years we have so little of the ball in dangerous areas that whenever it’s lost everybody starts groaning. Man City lose the ball quite a bit when Sterling, Foden, Mahrez and co lose the ball attempting to score but they win it back so quickly that it’s not a problem. We on the other hand would probably get countered or have to defend for the next ten minutes. 😂

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

High risk high reward!

Wenger has made us all appreciate the low risk probing and patient build up way of doing things and for some of us it’s the only type of football we know. Alexis Sanchez at his peak was one of the most talented players in the world and towards the end a lot of Arsenal fans started to get frustrated at his risky through-balls and take on attempts even though it only needed to come off once to result in a goal.

Pepe’s situation is made worse because we don’t dominate games anymore, in recent years we have so little of the ball in dangerous areas that whenever it’s lost everybody starts groaning. Man City lose the ball quite a bit when Sterling, Foden, Mahrez and co lose the ball attempting to score but they win it back so quickly that it’s not a problem. We on the other hand would probably get countered or have to defend for the next ten minutes. 😂
Another thing that Pepe has improved is his defensive play. Think he is quite physical now and he can press. If Auba isn't 100% I wouldn't mind seeing the same midfield and attack setup as against Sheffield.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard

There’s a difference between bad technique and inconsistent technique though and Pepe falls into the latter, definitely not the former. I think the inconsistency is exaggerated as well, lad is just under the microscope atm.
I exactly thought the same before he signed for us. He plays very similar to Salah but just cannot produce at the same level. How perfect it would have been!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom