• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - LC: Arsenal vs Wigan | 11/11/08

King Puck Paddy

Re: Arsenal vs Wigan Player Ratings

Fabiansk1 7

Hoyte 7
Djourou 7
Song 6
Gibbs 7

Wilshere 9
Ramsey 8
Merida 7
Randall 6

Simpson 8
Vela 8

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

qs said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Randall - 8 (brutally underrated by some fans. Held up the midfield with pride. Combines good effort with a skillful performance)

Merida - 5 (Not his game at all, unfortunately. Weak defensively, anonymous in the attack. He won't start next time.)

Agree on Randall but he was responsible for over playing it at times. If he kept it simpler he'd be a really good player. He looks to me like someone who could develop into a Flamini type player but like Flamini its going to take time. He might not get that time here.
Fair comment. I think he might develop into something similar to Flamini as well in a couple of years. He has everything that's needed and he seems to grow into the central midfield role very well. Very underrated tackler, but just like Wilshere and Ramsey he was a little bit too eager at times to show that he's a good player.

qs said:
I completely agree that Merida was poor in defence and left Gibbs with an awful lot to do. He wasn't hugely involved in the game but when he did come into it I thought he looked pretty classy and did a couple of really good things. He should and will start next time if fit.
Maybe, but I'm not too sure. One have to admit that he was mostly average today when compared to the other players in midfield, but still. I think that Bischoff will take that spot on the left wing once he's gained some more fitness. The position was there for the taking today, but Merida didn't really show that he deserved it.

Lukazan

Established Member

The Fabianski ratings in here are ridiculous. He was flapping and dropping balls all night long which could have easily have fallen to Wigan players. One great save when we are 3-0 up after a very dodgy game does not constitute a 7 and certainly not an 8 or 9. Almunia doesn't come for crosses, Fabianski does so people are getting excited ignoring the fact that he put our team in danger with most of them through not being able to hold the ball.

Fabianski 5

Hoyte 7
Djourou 8
Song 7
Gibbs 5

Wilshere 8
Ramsey 8
Merida 7
Randall 6

Simpson 7
Vela 6

Kraig

Established Member

Lukazan said:
The Fabianski ratings in here are ridiculous. He was flapping and dropping balls all night long which could have easily have fallen to Wigan players. One great save when we are 3-0 up after a very dodgy game does not constitute a 7 and certainly not an 8 or 9. Almunia doesn't come for crosses, Fabianski does so people are getting excited ignoring the fact that he put our team in danger with most of them through not being able to hold the ball.

Fabianski 5

Hoyte 7
Djourou 8
Song 7
Gibbs 5

Wilshere 8
Ramsey 8
Merida 7
Randall 6

Simpson 7
Vela 6

thats all well and good luka, but when you go and give vela the same ratings as randall and make gibbs the worst outfield player its hard to take it seriously. you cant honestly believe that vela was one of the worst out there?!

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Lukazan said:
I agree with that, except for the comment that "One great save when we are 3-0 up after a very dodgy game does not constitute a 7". THAT save motivates a 7 in my book, given that he hadn't conceded any goal before that. But you're right - he's getting hyped up right now because people doesn't want Almunia in goal. I don't think it's fair to Fabianski really. He's talented and capable of some great things, but he needs to be recognized as a growing and improving talent rather than a potential starter right now.

Lukazan

Established Member

Kraig said:
Lukazan said:

Fabianski 5

Hoyte 7
Djourou 8
Song 7
Gibbs 5

Wilshere 8
Ramsey 8
Merida 7
Randall 6

Simpson 7
Vela 6

thats all well and good luka, but when you go and give vela the same ratings as randall and make gibbs the worst outfield player its hard to take it seriously. you cant honestly believe that vela was one of the worst out there?!

Vela scored a good goal, no, an absolutely sensational goal but his overall performance wasn't great. He dwelt on the ball too much at times and killed off some promising moves. He also should have scored with his first chance.

Randall had some good moments but I lost count of how many times he gave the ball away. Gibbs was average.

arsmile

Established Member

Lukazan said:

very true...coming out for everything is as bad if not worse than coming out for nothing.

i gave him a 7...i thought that save was worth a whole point... was one of the best saves i've ever seen, but you're absolutely right- his dealin gwith crosses was poor- just a different kind of poor to al, it was proactively poor.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Lukazan said:
Vela scored a good goal, no, an absolutely sensational goal but his overall performance wasn't great. He dwelt on the ball too much at times and killed off some promising moves. He also should have scored with his first chance.

Randall had some good moments but I lost count of how many times he gave the ball away. Gibbs was average.

He also made an absolutely brillant run to set up Arsenal's second goal aswell.

So scoring a goal and setting one up, gets you a rating of 6, thats beyond harsh.

Kraig

Established Member

Lukazan said:
Kraig said:
Lukazan said:

Fabianski 5

Hoyte 7
Djourou 8
Song 7
Gibbs 5

Wilshere 8
Ramsey 8
Merida 7
Randall 6

Simpson 7
Vela 6

i dont disagree with anything there, but id say that velas 2nd half performance deserves a minimum of 7 surely

qs

Established Member

Vela 6. :lol: A goal and he made a goal too. You have no respect for what wins games. No wonder you love Hleb so much.

Fabianski did make a mistake early on but overall he was very good. Not just one save but he was dominant in the box and made plenty of good claims and a few good saves before the truly exceptional save me made late on.

Lukazan

Established Member

Dominant in the box? Please don't direct any of your posts to me for atleast the next week.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

qs said:
Fabianski did make a mistake early on but overall he was very good. Not just one save but he was dominant in the box and made plenty of good claims and a few good saves before the truly exceptional save me made late on.
He had his moments, but was far from convincing. Some of his flaps were downright reckless and immature. A 7 for the double save if one must (though I don't know why), but 8's and 9's? People are having a laugh. Loud.

Lukazan

Established Member

The thing with Fabianski is that we've had these flaps and wreckless leaps at balls he gets nowhere near in just about EVERY game he's played for this club so far.

I honestly believe the ridiculous praise is down to how unhappy most people are with Almunia, especially his hesistance in coming for crosses and set-pieces. Those criticisms are valid, don't get me wrong, but giving Fabianski a ridiculous rating because he's willing to do what Almunia doesn't, but ignoring the fact he's doing it very very badly is just silly.

arsmile

Established Member

Lukazan said:
The thing with Fabianski is that we've had these flaps and wreckless leaps at balls he gets nowhere near in just about EVERY game he's played for this club so far.

I honestly believe the ridiculous praise is down to how unhappy most people are with Almunia, especially his hesistance in coming for crosses and set-pieces. Those criticisms are valid, don't get me wrong, but giving Fabianski a ridiculous rating because he's willing to do what Almunia doesn't, but ignoring the fact he's doing it very very badly is just silly.

true- grass is always greener....neither are good with crooses at the moment, almunia is backing his reflexes and fabianski is backign his ability to muscle through crowds and get to the ball.- neither is consistantly judging and picking up crosses well, and fabianski risks leaving an open goal when he mucks up.

True Gooner

Established Member

Fabianksi - 7 - Made some very good saves to keep a clean sheet, could work on his catching of the ball though. Still very dominate and patrolled his area well enough. Very good back up material at the moment.

Hoyte - 7 - Did very well, pacey f*kr too.
Song - 8 - Rock at the back. Both him and Djourou did really well to snuff out the threat of Zaki
Djourou - 7.5 - I thought he could have helped Gibbs out a bit more
Gibbs - 7 - Did all that was asked of him. Didnt receive much help from Merida either

Wilshere - 8 - Brilliant!
Ramsey - 8 - See above. Also liked the fact that he was willing to take responsibility and make things happened. However, I'm convinced that he cannot play next to Fabregas week in, week out.
Randall - 7.5 - Not really surprised to see Randall being rated poorly since people had already written him off long before tonights game. His passing was poor, but more because he tried to do too much rather than lack of technique. Made some really good tackles.
Merida - 6.5 - Hate to give him a low rating, but he didnt really do much nor did he help Gibbs out enough. Still showed that his ability on the ball is as good as anyone else in the side.

Simpson - 8 - 3 chances, 2 goals? Cant ask for more than that. Put in a good performance overall.
Vela - 8 - To be honest he was a bit in and out of the game until he set Simpson up for his second. But, you really cant argue with an assist and a wonder goal. The boy is special. Thank God he has something to work on (his left peg)

Subs -
Lansbury - Didnt pay much attention.
Bischoff - See above.
Fonte - Ditto.

ricky1985

Established Member

My Ratings;

Fabianski - 8. Terrible decision at the start to come for the throw, but lets not forget he caught the second ball. What a truly memseric moment that was when he tipped that Zaki shot onto the bar.

Hoyte - 7. Surprisingly good. Won lots of tackles and genrally contributed well.

Song - 7. Still a little too cumbersome at times for my liking, but was extremely solid today.

Djourou - 9. Top drawer performance. Won lots of headers and tackles with very aggressive play. Brought the ball out of defence like only a few legendary centrbacks from yesteryear have done before.

Gibbs - 8. Started off shakily against the brilliant Valencia, but had him in his pocket by half-time. Immensely impressive second half. The boy has real fight.

Wilshere - 9. What can I say, he is beyond special. Until he tired late on he was majestic every time he recieved the ball. He is so much fun to watch. Ballon D'or one day maybe?

Ramsey - 9. Gerrard MKII in the making. His passing under pressure with both feet is outrageously good. Ludicrously good even. He has it all to be the best around in his position....and I dont care if you think I am going to far.

Randall - 7. Some really good passes, and some really sloppy ones. He will make it at a club like Villa or somewhere, which is no bad thing for the kid.

Merida - 6. One brilliant moment when he nearly setup Vela, but not great overall. Out of position though.

Simpson - 8. Dees what it says on the tin. Quick, strong, good finisher, and good movement. Again I think he is on a similar level to Randall, very talented just not quite Arsenal talented, thats no disgrace.

Vela - 9. Incredible goal, and world class pace for Simpson's second. He could be even better than world class, if that makes sense. Henry class if you like.

Wenger - you made all Arsenal fans around the world immensely proud and excited tonight.

Overall - INCREDIBLE.

dbig

My Ratings;

Fabianski - 6. Great saves but wasn't convincing coming for crosses and high balls into the box.

Hoyte - 7 Good defensively but I don't remember him contributing much offensively.

Song - 8 Good.

Djourou - 8 Good.

Gibbs - 8. Thought he was much better than some people are saying. Didn't get much help from Merida.

Wilshere - 9. MOTM and deservedly so.

Ramsey - 8. Started great, faded somewhat in the first half. Was good again in the 2nd.

Randall - 6. Thought he did ok but some stray passes and lost the ball a few times.

Merida - 6. Doesn't help defend but is good going forward and in passing and moving.

Simpson - 8. 2 goals. Thought he made some wrong choices here and there but he took his chances well.

Vela - 8. Super goal and could have had 3 on another night.

Overall - Team work, passing and movement was great. Maybe some individual performances weren't that great but they contributed to the team winning and that's what's important. Was really impressed that there weren't many "wrong" options taken by a team so young.

Alfonso

Established Member

Oh my days Rick. The boys played well but talk about overreaction. Gerrard Mark 2? Ballon D' Or? Vela potentially above 'world class'? :lol:

As I said good result, but in the greater scheme of things here on planet Earth.. we have been here before and before that.

Alfonso

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
What if they are that good though mate?

Then they will be playing for Barcelona, Real Madrid and AC Milan. :wink:

Actually, I think Djorou has the biggest potential even though he is a defender and may get less attention. Ive always rated him since he first came on the scene (who remembers his performance away at OT in 06/07?) and so far this season he has shown last season was a blip/second season syndrome.

Just not getting carried away with Vela until we see him in full games in the EPL. Must admit Ramsey has suprised me though, what seperates him from his peers is his maturity, tenacity, and determination. But still has a long way to go.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom