• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League Postponements

Melquiades

That is true but a lot has happened in football in the intervening 70 years - although and of course Sp**s are still ****.

For example, you couldn‘t watch wall to wall football to TV back then and football certainly hadn’t been packaged up as “entertainment”.

If the funeral is say Sunday week there clearly won’t be football that weekend, whilst this weeekend feels too soon. Then we have the international break. It is what it is.

A lot has happened in society in the last 70 years, too.

Back then stores didn't open on Sundays, football definitely didn't happen on Sundays, and the monarchy was treated with astonishing deference and the media weren't even allowed to report anything negative about them.

It was the sort of time when you'd think something like this actually would happen. But even then, when the King died, sports kept going. Zero cancellations.

Shutting down an entire country for 12 days over this is in the year 2022 is .... strange. But, again, great news for Thomas Partey's thigh.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
An old woman died. So we all suffer?

It's not like her life was cut short. She had a full life in riches, children, grand children and great grand children. A better life than most of us will ever comprehend. Yes, let's stop living to worship an aged system that feeds on the misery of the poor.

Boring.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Silly to postpone stuff. The monarchy and the government really need to modernise in this area. Day of mourning on her funeral sure, but basically forcing people to be sombre for more than a week is a bit much. I mean footballers have members of their own family die and play a few days later. Fans have family members die and go to games soon after.

Last edited:

Aevi

Hale End FC
Feels difficult to put in to words without expressing some sort of disrespect, and I’d even admit that my opinion means little as I’m not British myself. But this postponement and mourning process feels archaic and even unnecessarily controlling to me. Think people should pay their respects if they like, or live their life as per usual if they like. Not like the royal family has done the people proud with their many scandals anyway, and aren’t huge benefactors off the people. Just my two cents.

That being said, won’t cry over missing football. It’s not the end of the world.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I'm not saying it isn't an historic event to some people but cancelling leisure activities when most of us are struggling and get little rest bite as is seems down right cruel.

Personally I'll be spending the next 10 days celebrating the other historic event announced yesterday, finding a cure for malaria and the millions of lives it will save rather than mourning an old lady I never met or give a **** about.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

The idea of being told how to mourn a highly privileged white woman who lived a beautiful and amazing life for 96 years is incredibly strange to me as a non-Brit. I even get cancelling the game tomorrow, but two weeks of PL football is crazy. Especially considering how many people make the trip to England to watch PL games.

lol careful, you will upset White-Pride Mania.

The break is appropriate in my opinion, but since the Premiership and Arsenal specifically are global products now it will inevitably rub people the wrong way.

Furthermore, with the clubs squad woes it looks like Arteta has caught life once again. Could have deep ramifications down the line schedule wise however.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
This is ridiculous, so are they shutting shops? Businesses closing? Ooooh, do only essential workers still have to go in again?

Footballers, seriously football gets postponed whilst the rest of the country has to get on with it..?

There is a guy who has flown in from the US for a Liverpool game this weekend.

The event staff who get contracted in per game do they still get paid..?

What happened to all the spiel about bringing back football to help the nation in tough times?

Stupid decision.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom