• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rafael van der Vaart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
When van der Vaart broke through in Ajax I thought he was utter brilliant. I was sure he'd become a Ballon d'Or winner at some point in the future. He's looked anything but that ever since though. His career has been extremely disappointing. The quality is still there but he's getting old. If Wenger can get the potential out he's probably a good replacement for Rosicky. Who knows, Rosicky could even be moved further up the field whenever he's back. I can see this happening. Not for £11 million though.

lazyfreak

Klaus Daimler said:
When van der Vaart broke through in Ajax I thought he was utter brilliant. I was sure he'd become a Ballon d'Or winner at some point in the future. He's looked anything but that ever since though. His career has been extremely disappointing. The quality is still there but he's getting old. If Wenger can get the potential out he's probably a good replacement for Rosicky. Who knows, Rosicky could even be moved further up the field whenever he's back. I can see this happening. Not for £11 million though.
I know we're all use to seeing Wenger sign players aged under 23, but how is 26 old? We signed Rosicky at the same age. Good age I say but just like others, I don't see it happening.

DOUBLE-YOU

we wont get him because we have a limited budget and a player of his ilk is not as vital to our squad as a defensive player. As mentioned before, we have so many players who play the same role as him, it would be a waste of money if he was bought.

...unless he was bought to replace eboue!!!!!!!!

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
lazyfreak said:
I know we're all use to seeing Wenger sign players aged under 23, but how is 26 old? We signed Rosicky at the same age. Good age I say but just like others, I don't see it happening.
Rosicky was 24 when we signed him. van der Vaart is almost 27. That's the upper age limit for a good signing. There are always exceptions, Arshavin being one, but ideally you'd like to get more than two or three seasons out of a player. Not a whole lot of midfielders lasts much beyond thirty in Premier League.

lazyfreak

Klaus Daimler said:
lazyfreak said:
Rosicky was 24 when we signed him. van der Vaart is almost 27. That's the upper age limit for a good signing. There are always exceptions, Arshavin being one, but ideally you'd like to get more than two or three seasons out of a player. Not a whole lot of midfielders lasts much beyond thirty in Premier League.
No! :lol: But I'm wrong as well... :mrgreen: He was 25 and then turned 26 early in his first season with us since his birthday is sometime in October.

asajoseph

Established Member
That's some achievement, for a player who's currently 28 and been with us 3 seasons.

I think Rosicky was 25 when we signed him, and turned 26 in the first few months. Hardly a massive difference from a player who's 26 and will turn 27 half way through next season.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
lazyfreak: Fine. He was closer to 26 than 24. ;)

He was also a better player than van der Vaart currently is though, and that's my main qualm with him. When we signed Arshavin, for example, we went out and got a world class midfielder. van der Vaart is a soon-to-be-27 year-old with a lot of potential left to realise if he ever wants to prove that he's good enough for a club on this level.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not a bad player to have on our bench especially given our injury prone players. It all really depends on our injury outlook. Rosicky will always be in doubt. Cesc and Arshavin can't play all the games. Theo's wonky at the moment. Nasri's months away (at least from being in good shape).If, touch wood, Cesc got injured today, we'd have a noticeable drop in talent that could affect the course of our season. Same for Arshavin. Having said that, my bigger worry is who fills in for Song?

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
HollandGooner said:
Sign this guy, f**k 6 million...

What do dutch people feel about Van Der Vaart? as an outsider he appears to be a player who has never fulfilled his early promise as a footballer and perhaps also one who hasn't delivered at international level.

Floating

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
HollandGooner said:

What do dutch people feel about Van Der Vaart? as an outsider he appears to be a player who has never fulfilled his early promise as a footballer and perhaps also one who hasn't delivered at international level.

Anelka, anyone? :lol:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
floating said:
truth_hurts said:
HollandGooner said:

Anelka, anyone? :lol:

Haha! I see the comparison. To his credit at least Anelkas been at the top though, VDV has fallen so far short.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
No more attacking midfielders, and maybe only 1 defensive signing.

Time to close transfer forum

number_0

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
Time to lock this one - van der fart aint coming.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkHqYpvHyE8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkHqYpvHyE8</a>

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
truth_hurts said:
HollandGooner said:

I rate him very high, much higher than Sneijder. VDV & RVP are Holland's best players hamds down. 6M is a freaking bargain. Not a position we need urgent strengthening, but still. Wouldn't think a minute about signing him, even for the double amount or more. You'll see at the WC 2010 (and or at his new club) how good he is.

--

That clip had me in stitches too. Keep 'm coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

People say why I did lie on the floor after the goal, they think I was tired. But I think I was a lot cleverer than people thought.

Charlie George reveals it was all a time-wasting plan after the double winning goal
Top Bottom