• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

So much uproar in the media about this . Pressure put on him from every newspaper in England to sign a new contract , I don't remember Rooney getting this when he was 18 and United came a calling .

burnsjed

Established Member
I am not totally sold to be honest, especially at the Theo plus 30 or 40 nonsense.
At the end of the day Sterling is all potential, he has not done an awful lot so far, and if we were to replace Theo, would much rather go the extra mile and get someone who has proven themselves, especially if we are chucking in all that extra cash

GDeep™

League is very weak
Rooney was at a small selling club back then, who most likely couldn't afford to keep him. Sterling is 20, still developing, is at a major club and is being offered a big deal.

The story here is of a very young English player, at a major club, who wants to jump ship at the first possible opportunity.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There is no chance of this happening in my opinion. We are well stocked with wide players and Gnabry has so much potential and is around the same as Sterling. Only injuries have prevented him from more game time. Ox is looking to kick on and has been consistent all season even when playing with injuries, which is a major step in his personal growth. We also have Welbeck who can play wide when required. Mot to mention Walcott. Personally if we let Walcott go, which may happen, I can see us buying a young player who will not be asking for a ridiculous wage. I think we need to concentrate more on replacing Diaby in the squad with a hybrid box to box and defensive midfielder. Kondogbia is the top of my wish list at present.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
There is no chance of this happening in my opinion. We are well stocked with wide players and Gnabry has so much potential and is around the same as Sterling. Only injuries have prevented him from more game time. Ox is looking to kick on and has been consistent all season even when playing with injuries, which is a major step in his personal growth. We also have Welbeck who can play wide when required. Mot to mention Walcott. Personally if we let Walcott go, which may happen, I can see us buying a young player who will not be asking for a ridiculous wage. I think we need to concentrate more on replacing Diaby in the squad with a hybrid box to box and defensive midfielder. Kondogbia is the top of my wish list at present.

Hold on before you write Diaby off, and no, its not dated 1st April.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/02/arsenal-abou-diaby-Arsène-wenger

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

In all honesty , I'd rather have Walcott . However having seen Wenger's interview he is definitely interested in Sterling .

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If English clubs do like the Italian clubs Arsenal and Liverpool will do swap deal Sterling go to Arsenal and Theo will go to Liverpool :D

GDeep™

League is very weak
English clubs pay massive for potential from within England, while Real and Barca will wait for a guy to turn into a star in England before paying massive.

Add the London factor, I think Sterling wants to join a big domestic rival.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Walcott has been good for us, but objectively speaking he's not a very good player besides finishing(which he tbh can be iffy with just like Sterling) and making runs.

Sterling has all the attributes in the world to become a top, top player. Besides the above Walcott has nothing on him, and Sterling makes great runs himself too, and as for the finishing, that'll improve. He's only 20 and already better than Theo in almost every aspect of the game.

Injuries should also be in consideration, Sterling is never injured, while Theo is in the treatment table for the best part of a season, yet he has the cheek to demand more wages after doing sweet **** all since his last raise. Baffling.

I don't see why Arsenal fans would rather have Theo, maybe love/bias? He really isn't very good.

Livedk

Established Member
I don't see why Arsenal fans would rather have Theo, maybe love/bias? He really isn't very good.

its nice you can highlight something and then reply to it btw.

Theo is perhaps a one track pony - but he does get on the end of what our playmakers does best, create chances.

we always love to see players who are loyal to their clubs - think back to the game Theo got injured in, he was by far our best player on the day and he was heralded as an Arsenal hero - the same loyalty we want from our players should go both ways for players who are such a big part of our club.

For me it would not be the Arsenal way to flog off our topscorer - the player with the most games for us - he who has been here the longest (on the senior team disregarding Diaby) a player who is going into his best years - and on top of that one who did this in the NLD

walcott-2.png

say yes

forum master baiter
I don't really understand why Sterling is getting so much stick? Don't think he's handled this contract saga badly in any way at all.

He has 2 years left on his contract and if he's not sure about the direction the club are heading in then fair play to him for not committing. At least he's being honest about it.

Sounds harsh as I like Liverpool as a club but at the end of the day there are only 4 champions league spots going and they have a really tough task on their hands to secure one of them.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

All these pundits on TV and in the paper saying he should stay and show some loyalty and that Liverpool is the best club for him right now. What were they saying when all our players were flirting with every club under the sun a few years back?

GDeep™

League is very weak
Liam Brady rejected him apparently, but, imagine we signed him, would Sterling be doing this to us now? Or would big wages, London, Champions League, Özil, Sanchez etc mean he would have been totally settled?

Latter I think. As the years go by, I think if a player wants out, no matter how good, you let them leave. My stance in previous years was that you fight, a bitter fight even, to keep.

say yes

forum master baiter
So on board the Sterling train tbh. Can't think of many signings this summer that would excite me more (although I'd happily concede we have higher priority positions to fill).

The guy is an unbelievable talent, has so much more to his game than a pace-merchant like Walcott. Skill, vision, decision-making, the kid has it all.

Not his flashiest but I love his goal against City last year, unbelievable composure for a 19 year old.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Would be the best signing since Bergkamp. You'll need a 60M type package though.

40M plus Theo would be a great deal for Liverpool.

say yes

forum master baiter
Think 40m plus Theo would be a decent deal all round actually. Although I'd be surprised if it took that much.

burnsjed

Established Member
Would be the best signing since Bergkamp. You'll need a 60M type package though.

40M plus Theo would be a great deal for Liverpool.

You said 30 mln earlier today, what has he done in the course of the day to add another 10 mln!!

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

"Arsenal's a fantastic football club of course , but this is Liverpool". :rolleyes:

Just surprised he never mentioned Instanbul.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I actually think what's happening with Sterling is very similar to what happened with us and Theo only Theo never came out as publically as Sterling and certainly gave us more time.

I could see him using whomever he moves to next as a stepping stone to Spain. The boy is immensely talented and will only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Latest posts

Top Bottom