• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

Bloodbather

Established Member

I wanted us to keep him, so I'm glad we did, I thought he was as good as gone.

Really won me over this season. Prior to this season I had no faith in his prospects of making it here, because I had never seen the directness and explosiveness required for him to take that step. I don't know whether it's his training regimen, or a change in mentality after his stint at Feyenoord, or both, but he actually brought those qualities to the table this season and was always a positive whenever he came on as a sub.

He might just be a late bloomer.

Sparrahork

I wanted us to keep him, so I'm glad we did, I thought he was as good as gone.

Really won me over this season. Prior to this season I had no faith in his prospects of making it here, because I had never seen the directness and explosiveness required for him to take that step. I don't know whether it's his training regimen, or a change in mentality after his stint at Feyenoord, or both, but he actually brought those qualities to the table this season and was always a positive whenever he came on as a sub.

He might just be a late bloomer.
Indeed, he has the talent and how many late bloomers have we seen who spent season after season on loan in different countries when they were young.

A lot being said about him taking the safe option, I personally think it is the sensible one.

If he goes elsewhere he may or may not be first choice but will be two or three seasons until he is deemed good enough to play for a big 6 club, by which time age starting to be an issue.

By staying here he has a shot at making it at a big club, one he loves to boot. I think he will get regular minutes, I am pretty certain if he isnt trusted at rw then jesus will switch there and trossard through middle, Nelson then guaranteed minutes off the bench at least.

I think now in ecl jesus will be more accepting of playing rw if called upon to do so. Nelson will be the go to sub for that spot if jesus and Saka starting. Let's see as well if Nelson signing again allows a path for acd to breakthrough this coming season.

Sparrahork

Wondered whether to add here or on the transfer thread, decided here even though transfer thread seems focused on signing a replacement right-back.

Could Reiss play as an emergency rb if needed there? Can you see it being a big coaching job to have him play that role? Saka can play full-back and Reiss is deemed to have defensive awareness so could this be an emergency option if called upon?

Bloodbather

Established Member

Wondered whether to add here or on the transfer thread, decided here even though transfer thread seems focused on signing a replacement right-back.

Could Reiss play as an emergency rb if needed there? Can you see it being a big coaching job to have him play that role? Saka can play full-back and Reiss is deemed to have defensive awareness so could this be an emergency option if called upon?
Aside from his pace, there's really nothing to suggest he'd be able to cut it there. Having defensive awareness as an attacker is completely different than as a defender, positioning, duels and heading ability come into play when you're a defender. You'd be better off using Partey or something if you were really that desperate.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

John Candy No GIF by Laff

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Reiss is very much an attacker and unless you're playing another type of modified role for him, I don't think it's close to the best way to use him. The best way to use Reiss IMO is in a role that allows him to move inside and dribble or combine with the other attackers and on-rushing midfielders. While he's very capable playing very wide, Reiss' best work is usually always inside and when he's heavily involved. If he plays on the fringes of the game, he's not as impactful.

Reiss didn't always have great defensive awareness nor the confidence in duels until his Feyenoord spell, where Arne Slot seemed to be really patient with him and imbued him with the mentality to fight again. He did a LOT of defending in his RW role so I can see why people think it's a good way to use him, alongside Wenger shoehorning him into RWB at the start of his Arsenal career (a move that I always thought was a bad idea and still do).

At heart, Reiss is a #10 who plays wide left so he can cut in and shoot/create openings. That was always his game at youth level - the swashbuckling dribbling style was a very desirable add-on but as ever, it's typecast him as a pure touchline winger, something that he is capable of doing but isn't his best role. That's why I think in this team, it's best to use him wide left, and at a push play him as one of the 8s if you must play him anywhere else. RW he'll do a job but you're not getting his best. And you'll get very little out of him as a RB unless he's gonna be very attacking and heavily involved.

Let's play Aubamawang

So according to what I've found on the web; currently we have

- Ødegaard on 110-120k/week depending on the source, waiting for his new contract
- Xhaka is on 120k/week
- Trossard is on 90K/week.

I don't know in what world you pay more Nelson than Trossard for instance. I find it crazy.

This kind of wages are closing a door to a move out of the PL if things don't work out. There isn't a single club in Europe who can afford to give more than £5M/year on an injury prone player who didn't do much in his career yet.

The other major risk is to drive prices up in our wage bill.
For instance, if you're Tomiyasu and currently earning 50-60K/week, you'd be crazy to ask for less than 110-120k/week in the next contract if Nelson is getting 100k.

Giving huge contracts to mediocre player is what got us in a terrible situation in the first place. Why are we doing the same today?
I have no issue if we "overpay" our young stars, like Saka Saliba Martinelli.
But to give big money to a squaddie, naaaah, I don't like it.
Yes, but imagine you go out and find a replacement. You've got no transfer fee to mitigate the cost of replacing him, you're then paying far north of £5m in transfer fees, then you have the obligatory signing-on fee and weekly wages plus bonuses.

Even if Nelson has incentive bonuses, he would have to play to earn them, so he wouldn't cost any more than the value of the contract based on how often Arteta used him last season.

Give the lad a chance. Jeeesus.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Yes, but imagine you go out and find a replacement. You've got no transfer fee to mitigate the cost of replacing him, you're then paying far north of £5m in transfer fees, then you have the obligatory signing-on fee and weekly wages plus bonuses.

Even if Nelson has incentive bonuses, he would have to play to earn them, so he wouldn't cost any more than the value of the contract based on how often Arteta used him last season.

Give the lad a chance. Jeeesus.

I'm giving a chance, I'm not doubting his abilities.

But from a business perspective it is a very risky move. One that cost us a lot in the past where we couldn't shift our squad players because they were earning simply too much.

We're giving a huge contract to a player who failed to stay fit during his whole career at Arsenal, and last season played less than 600 min in all competitions.

And this contract also sets a precedent. How much are gonna ask our other squad players when it's gonna be time to negotiate when they see a team mate making that kind of money?

At the end of the day i hope this deal is gonna work well for all the parties and hope that nelson will be worth it, but it was so hard to trim the wage bill that i feel like we're taking unnecessary risk with this kind of contract.

Let's play Aubamawang

I'm giving a chance, I'm not doubting his abilities.

But from a business perspective it is a very risky move. One that cost us a lot in the past where we couldn't shift our squad players because they were earning simply too much.

We're giving a huge contract to a player who failed to stay fit during his whole career at Arsenal, and last season played less than 600 min in all competitions.

And this contract also sets a precedent. How much are gonna ask our other squad players when it's gonna be time to negotiate when they see a team mate making that kind of money?

At the end of the day i hope this deal is gonna work well for all the parties and hope that nelson will be worth it, but it was so hard to trim the wage bill that i feel like we're taking unnecessary risk with this kind of contract.
Sure, but as has already been mentioned, there is a premium attached to having no transfer fee and being home grown.

In the case of Reiss, he still has enough ability and interest that he could be moved on in the future. Teams usually amortise higher wages by giving out larger signing-on fees. If Arteta doesn't give him more playing time then he will be sold at a cut-price rate to clear his wages.

Conversely, if you look at Pepe: huge fee, large signing bonus and significant wages almost certainly above 100k. It's reckless signings like this that could cause us problems.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

It’s deals like this we won’t compete with city. Just wasting resources on players not being good enough and then say we don’t have depth. 200k a week on bland Nelson.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

The reported salary that Reiss will be getting is outrageous for a guy who's barely a back up; and I rate Reiss highly. We have limited resources, we can't be spunking those types of wages on back ups - it also makes him harder to sell if for whatever reason it doesn't work out next year.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The reported salary that Reiss will be getting is outrageous for a guy who's barely a back up; and I rate Reiss highly. We have limited resources, we can't be spunking those types of wages on back ups - it also makes him harder to sell if for whatever reason it doesn't work out next year.
Remember how it was first rumoured that Saka gets 300k per week? But then that it's 200k per week base wage. If it's similar, Nelson's base wage would be 66k per week.

If you buy a player of Nelson's talent level, how much would it cost compared to Nelson's total cost?

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Remember how it was first rumoured that Saka gets 300k per week? But then that it's 200k per week base wage. If it's similar, Nelson's base wage would be 66k per week.

If you buy a player of Nelson's talent level, how much would it cost compared to Nelson's total cost?
10 million? Nelson is not all that and it would be absolutely waste to extend him based on couple of good subs. 12 months ago he was struggling in the Dutch league

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

10 million? Nelson is not all that and it would be absolutely waste to extend him based on couple of good subs. 12 months ago he was struggling in the Dutch league

No he wasn’t :lol:

Was a very slow start but he left a key player. Besides the point anyways, who even knows if the reports regarding his salary are accurate.

Look how confused and outraged people are, the article done it’s job.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

No he wasn’t :lol:

Was a very slow start but he left a key player. Besides the point anyways, who even knows if the reports regarding his salary are accurate.

Look how confused and outraged people are, the article done it’s job.
People don’t rate him. It will just be another nketiah situation tbh

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom