• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Koscielny Dilemma

Tangy99

Koscielny is immense. He was amazing at times last season, but did make some mistakes perhaps largely due to a continuously changing defensive partnership and it being his first season in English football. Indeed, Wenger even said he was not expecting Koscielny to play anywhere near as much last season.

This season hes stepped it up another level, cutting out most of the mistakes. Hes a warrior, hes commited, hes good in the air, reads the game fantastically and imo, has good mental strength (Just call me Arsène). He occasionally is at fault for the offside trap still but a large part of that could again be the constant change in personel.

I expect big, big things from Kos + Verms together. They're both warriors and happy to throw themselves in - natural dedicated defenders! Imo. :)

Glovegun

Established Member
Great game, but I wouldn't be so hesitant to drop Mertesacker. He's got a lot to offer this team.

Santos looks shaky at the back, and Gibbs has yet to really convince. Vermaelen at left-back seems the obvious solution to me.

Szczesny

Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Vermaelen

That is a fantastic back line.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
Bosscielny.

We only had szczesny and kos at the back and still chelsea only managed to score just 3.

arsmile

Established Member
our CB paring has to be kos+1

i think as soon as we get kos+verm the better, nothign against per and i think he is decent but you have to be in there on merit.

only problem is what we do with LB and RB for now with gibbs/sagna out..

outlaw_member

Established Member
In general, I don't know what it is about Mertesacker that makes me confident when he's playing. He doesn't really make any outstanding individual actions, but I suppose his lack of mistakes is better than some of the dross we've witnessed recently. I don't think he should start ahead of either Koscielny and Vermaelen, but the former does have to show that he is no longer prone to errors before he permanently benches the German. In any case, it will be good to be able to rotate between them, however, it is imperative that they can contribute positively from the bench. Many players have struggled when they've lost their starting berth, and have failed to provide the strengths that one would have expected in theory.

alboots101

Established Member
Lol...well done RWA.

I have to admit that it`s starting to look like a Koscielny/Vermaelan partnership when all our defenders are fit but if we have to play LE CHIQUE BELGIQUE at left back I wouldn`t be dissapointed.

So is it lan or len in Vermaelan?

Mastadon

Established Member
Great to know that we have 3 excellent central defenders to choose from. I would imagine us rotating players based on the opposition and the need to rest players. Verms on the left might be an option as well.

mistaT

Established Member
Ease Vermalean in to ensure he doesn't suffer from any relapse, keep with Kos and PMertesacker who have proven a worthy duo.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
In general, I don't know what it is about Mertesacker that makes me confident when he's playing. He doesn't really make any outstanding individual actions, but I suppose his lack of mistakes is better than some of the dross we've witnessed recently.

Come again? Mertesacker has made more mistakes than Kos since his arrival (understandable perhaps given his lack of time to acclimatize, but still). I dunno what Mertesacker offers us specifically to be honest if he can't even give us aerial dominance despite being 7 foot 2 or whatever. He's even worse in the air than the Franco-Pole! He's been alright at best, and he was a major liability today until our midfield and forwards started controlling the game more after the second half kick off. He's OK for a 3rd choice defender, but I still think there's room for improvement in the Verm-Kos partnership (meaning perhaps buying a defender who can slot in at RCB).

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
le kosh is always playing great vs strong teams, but he start to playing well in last few months so its will be bad for him if wenger drop him, i think he will play RB until sagna return.

CandysRoom

Established Member
Thought Per made some class interceptions today even though he made an error or two. John Terry had a far worse game and is regarded as one of the best about. From what i've seen, Per doesn't seem to be racist either :D

Koscielny's form means we can only improve defensively with 3 top CB's fighting for the start each game.

I'd rather see Vermaelen eased slowly in over the next few games to try out our best combination, and from there push on and become tight at the back.

Hopefully, Wenger will get a few happy headaches over this one!

Irish_Owen

Established Member
CandysRoom said:
Thought Per made some class interceptions today even though he made an error or two. John Terry had a far worse game and is regarded as one of the best about. From what i've seen, Per doesn't seem to be racist either :D

Koscielny's form means we can only improve defensively with 3 top CB's fighting for the start each game.

I'd rather see Vermaelen eased slowly in over the next few games to try out our best combination, and from there push on and become tight at the back.

Hopefully, Wenger will get a few happy headaches over this one!
Cheap shot...

Well done.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
Torres is the kind of striker Kos will eat for breakfast. He easily matched him for pace and strength today. The moment when he easily disposessed Torres and then smacked the ball in his face I almost felt sorry for Torres.

CandysRoom

Established Member
kalleTheMan said:
Torres is the kind of striker Kos will eat for breakfast. He easily matched him for pace and strength today. The moment when he easily disposessed Torres and then smacked the ball in his face I almost felt sorry for Torres.
Was one of the matches highlights for me :)

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom