• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Koscielny Dilemma

DK Gooner

Kos is turning into a good player, but I think there are 3 important factors to be considered before granting him that top level CB accolade:

1) How he copes on a season long basis - His first was a mixed bag which is somewhat understandable given the team's needs on his arrival and his background, but from this season onwards he is going to be judged more harshly. He has performed well thus far, but a good player will show the required form over more than just a couple of seasons. There have been plenty of players who have flattered to deceive after a great season or two. John O'Shea's début season springs to mind.

2) How he deals specifically in the big matches. A lot has been made about his performance against Lionel Messi, but that that not necessarily say that he has or will consistently perform in the big games. He did not play well in our biggest and most challenging fixture to date which as at Old Trafford. He will need to show that he can do the job at the business end of the season comes along when we will hopefully be competing in the knock out round of the cups and in contention for the league. That is when the pressure is really on and when good players can be separated from the rest. He can't afford to make mistakes like he did in the CC final even if he only makes one during the 90mins.

3) How he copes with the return of Vermaelen. The same can equally be said of the Belgian, but with Mertesacker performing quite well since his arrival, it looks as though the German is now a nailed on starter particularly as his style of defending looks complimentary to their respective styles. That means TV and LK fighting over the other berth. Kos needs to either perform well enough to warrant starting or prove that he can do a good job with less time under his belt if relegated to the bench. In the past we have had Steve Bould and Martin Keown etc who have been able to execute the bench role well when they were no longer starters. Kos will not have their experience to draw on and with his portfolio of mistakes at Arsenal still fresh in the mind, it is important that after working so hard of late to cut them out of his game, less consistent minutes on the pitch does not herald their return.

Vela

Established Member
According to Martin Keown Koscielny Arsenal best defender.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2054878/Chelsea-v-Arsenal-Martin-Keowns-big-match-verdict-Stamford-Bridge-clash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... clash.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tangy99

Whilst Koscielny is finally getting some recognition, it still annoys me how people think Mertesacker is going to be starting next to Verm's when hes back. I personally think Vermaelen + Kos is a great partnership.

yuvken

Established Member
Solid point, youssif. Must be hard to play very well and put in all you have, and still know that when TV's back you'll be on the bench. This from Martin would boost any arse defender's spirit. Haven't read it, but perhaps he means "right now"? if so it's not really ott.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Tangy99 said:
Whilst Koscielny is finally getting some recognition, it still annoys me how people think Mertesacker is going to be starting next to Verm's when hes back. I personally think Vermaelen + Kos is a great partnership.

It's weird, all three partnerships sound like solid partnerships on paper.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Bossa said:
Koscielny and Vermaelen are too similar to play with each other.

Nah, I don't believe that at all. Vermaelen is a very well rounded defender and can do the 'sweeper' (Ferdinand) and 'destroyer' (Vidic) CB 'roles' very capably. Kos has also surprised me this season with his aerial dominance, and was already a very capable 'sweeper' type. They'd be fine together.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we had a RB that can deal with trickery of Mata I would go with Kos - TV but Djourou wont be able to handle him so at least for the Chelsea game I will go with
Kos - Per - TV - Santos

cuban

Established Member
fabo said:
No Martin, just no.

currently...he is, when TV comes back and get some games he won't be but currently he is...

also them two cna comfortably play together...

fabo

6.51 / 10
Haven't you heard, TV doesn't need games to return to form! See top displays in his few appearances this season vs Newcastle, Pool and in midweek. What a defender.

I would agree that Koscielny has been marginally better than Mertesacker since the German signed.

Mastadon

Established Member
Agreed it was another fantastic performance from Koscielny he just keeps getting better and better with every game. Been so much better than Mertesacker in the games they have played together so far.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
There's no such thing like a dilemma anymore.

This guy is magnificent.
As I've predicted, he's had Torres in his pocket today, and many more.

He should be Verm's partner, full stop.

mo50

Established Member
Top class performance from him. He didn't put a foot wrong. Lets hope he carries on like this.

fabo

6.51 / 10
RVP is the best CF on the planet.

Ramsey was excellent aswell, one of his best games in a red shirt.

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom