The Wish List

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Mini, May 3, 2004.

1. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Well-Known Member

How is he these days?

I remember him not being overly prolific at Dortmund but done well in Holland.

Sociedad these days if I'm not mistaken.

2. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Well-Known Member

I think that 3rd midfielder role is a very important buy. It also needs to be a player who can play 8 not just 10 as when Tierney comes back Arteta will probably want to go to a 433 or a 442 out of possession.

Grealish is the name most people want but you have to realise he has been playing left wing.

I put forward Ludovic Blas. 22 year old, left footed midfielder capable of playing as a 6, 8 and 10. I have been watching him quite a bit recently and he played very well vs PSG.

He can pass. When I say pass, I mean be incisive and spray it all over the pitch with a sweet left foot. He can dribble and he has end product. He knows how to arrive in the box and can finish also. He is also athletic not slow and cumbersome like all of our midfield options bar AMN.

3. Fewtch

Fewtch Ozil at 10 And Emery Out

13+2 g/a in 27 appearances (10 starts) this season. It looks like he’s finally having his breakthrough season now that he’s starting more for Real Sociedad.
    Did this the other day against Real Madrid

Dortmund have a €30m buy back clause apparently so he’ll probably end up there again. I think the PL might be 2-3 years too early for him atm but he’s definitely an exciting talent. Signed by Sven Mislintat from the Swedish league at 17 for Dortmund btw.

4. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Prefers To Be Called Dennis

Feels like Grealish would be a huge statement signing. A sign of intent!

But given our financials maybe we will have to get a bit more creative.

Golovin or Szoboszlai. Maybe Zaniolo?

Wryer likes this.
  5. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

Maddison would be perfect as a creative 8 or a 10, better than Grealish imo that is more a wide player, playmaker and ball-carrier, LW. I also think Maddison needs to reach some level that Grealish don't really intend to. I feel like Maddison would be more committed. I just don't know if James would be interested in Arsenal.

6. Idiotologue

Idiotologue Well-Known Member

I agree, but that's precisely the reason I want him. Him at LW with another creative CM brought in would be tremendous.

7. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

Yes, but if I had to choose one only player to buy then I think Arsenal needs more James Maddison than Jack Grealish. But I'm OK with Grealish + Brandt/Ruiz types of player too. :)

Being honest, due to Arsenal's condition, either would already be a dream.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Flying Okapis likes this.
  8. StefanB

StefanB Well-Known Member

Again: Upamencano/Konate, Zakaria, Maddison

Leno
    Bellerin - Saliba - Upamencano/Konate - Tierney
    Torreira
    Zakaria - Maddison
    Pepe - Aubameyang - Martinelli

9. progman07

progman07 Well-Known Member

We badly need 1-2 mobile and physical midfielders. I'm fed up with Guendouzi fall under the slightest of pushes, rather than driving the ball forward. We also need players in the 25-28 age group.

10. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Well-Known Member

So as it stands based on rumours:

CB: Gabriel
    DM: Papa Gueye
    CF: Edouard

Thats about 70 million.

Id like:

CM: Matheus Henrique
    and a goal scoring 10. That could be our big money signing.

11. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Debates about Grealish and Maddison? Nah let's sign some actual ballers. Ihattaren as the heir to Özil and Benrahma for LW. Would also be supportive of signing Edouard.

Troopz likes this.
  12. roz

roz Well-Known Member

Watching Brentford Leeds, best player on the pitch is that Phillips kid. Not the first time I’ve watched him and been impressed. Must for me.

13. Leno
    Bellerin - Saliba - Dunk - Tierney
    Torreira-Tonali
    Ziyech
    Pepe - Aubameyang - Martinelli

14. Wryer

Wryer Well-Known Member

I prefer Grealish. He has that x-factor and bite. Leadership qualities too. I would love him as a replacement for Özil. Madison is probably better technically, but I feel Grealish has that something special that can bring the best out of players around him.

15. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

Grealish + Golovin would be an aceptable bet imo.

----------------- CF -----------------
    Grealish ----------------------- RW
    ---------- Golovin --- CM ----------
    ------------------ DM ---------------

Grealish is much better as LW in fact, but as CM or even CAM I think Maddison and Golovin are maybe better than him, specially as creative 8, in a 4-3-3 formation.

[​IMG]

If you look Maddison and Golovin have more rating in shoot, they actually can score goals from that position, Golovin works harder in defense and is better dribbler while Grealish is more a dribbler/runner from the CM position, and not so much passer.

I think Grealish could be a good buy in the LW (one of the best LW of the EPL), while Golovin a good bet for a 4-3-3 even tho he probably isn't at the same level as Maddison (one of the best CM of EPL) for now, still a good bet that actually makes sense. 5'11, young, good athleticism, hard worker.

For the others I think Coutinho and Ziyech would be also a good players for Arsenal, but more for the CAM position imo.

Still talking about Golovin, he created 10 big chances in 21 matches as starter with Monaco, not bad. 1.3 Int + 1.9 Tackles for a creative 8 are also good numbers.

asukru and hydrofluoric acid like this.
  16. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

https://righttotheverytop.wordpress...-to-play-as-they-did-when-arteta-was-captain/

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https://twitter.com/VillaTil1Die/status/1227233931189243905&widget=Tweet

I'm OK with Grealish, Golovin, Pape Gueye and Edouard.

I also liked the mention of Matheus Henrique I think he has all the quality to do it in Europe (quick and technical enough with space to improve himself still, he looks a bit like Thiago Alcantara imo) and he is very suited to a possession-based team since he is very good passer of the ball. Gabriel from Lille seems to be a excelent prospect, but I don't think Arsenal needs other CB (it can't be the priority) now with Luiz, Mari, Saliba, Holding/Chambers etc.

With Edouard alongside with Martinelli and Nketiah in the CF position and Grealish in the LW position and I'm OK with selling both Laca and Auba more some CBs to make cash and even Xhaka, if we can move def. Torreira and Gueye as the main DMC of the team. Özil too, he is done imo and cost a lot.

Grealish (Saka) ----- Martinelli (Edouard) --- Pepe (Nelson)
    ---- Golovin (Willock/AMN) -- Guendouzi (Matheus Henrique or Ihattaren) ---
    ------------------------- Torreira (Pape Gueye) -----------------------
    Tierney (Kola) --- Marí (Luiz) -- Saliba (Chambers) - Bellerin (Cedric)
    ---------------------------- Leno (Martinez) -----------------------------

We would depend on Pepe's adapting to the PL (talent he has) that Grealish continue his form of this year and with a 4-3-3 with a Golovin, Guendouzi and let's say Matheus Henrique the team would be more comfortable and stable in the ball and out of the ball with a much better shape. Of course hoping that Edouard and Martinelli in the CF position will be good enough to find good positions in the area, which I believe.

TOP6 side in potential to be a regular TOP4 side in 2 or 3 years (since a lot of players there are still about to peak/27 years old) Grealish would be 25, Torreira 24, Matheus 23, Guendouzi 21, Pepe 25, Tierney, Saliba, Gueye, Martinelli, Edouard, Saka, Nelson, Willock...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, Arsenal should have the option of aligning a good 4-3-3 (which they don't have today) and strengthen enormously the quality
    and the depth in the midfield and in terms of ball retention, Martinelli and Auba can't retain the ball you can't field both in the wings like in the last match.
    Now, if Grealish is about to cost a lot and Arsenal can't afford it Benrahma could be a option, not as good and not as fit in the Arteta's Arsenal scheme as Grealish probably, still could be a good option, kind of wildcard, but could turn it in a good business for 15 million.

The ones of Ihattaren aren't good enough to Arsenal for now, his role needs much more maturity and he would be Arsenal and PL level only in the end of 2022 or 2023 more or less imo. Arsenal needs a player now, can't rely one more second in Özil. The dutch would be good, but a Maddison, Golovin, solid creative 8/10 type of player is needed, if Arsenal can afford both, I'm all for it since I rate the dutch-moroccan and one of the world's next great playmakers.

17. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for three big signings and some depth. CB, CM and LW need a quality upgrade.

Something along the lines of:
    CB: Aké (alternatives: Martinez, Zagadou, Dias)
    CM: Aouar (alternatives: Golovin, vdBeek, Foden? if Aouar goes to City)
    LW: Graelish (alternatives: Mahrez? honestly don't know can only think of RW's but we have Pepe)

Probably about €50m each.

Then we could do with some talented purchases for depth at RB, DM and possibly ST (depending on whether Nketiah is considered as back-up striker). Probably should get a cheap GK in as back-up for Leno. I'm thinking Gueye (like the look of him, other options like Camavinga and Soumare will be significantly more expensive, perhaps Phillips of Leeds) and Bogle. Possibly Edouard, again depending on Nketiah.

To fund all this: Lacazette (€40m, £180k), Mkhitaryan (€10m, £140k) Özil (€5m, £350k) Guendouzi (€40m, £40k) Elneny (€10m, £50k) Chambers (€25m, £50k) Mavropanos (€5m, £25k) Mustafi (€10m, £90k) Sokratis (€10m, £90k) Soares (free) Ceballos (free) Xhaka (€40m, £100k)
    = €195m, ~£1.1 million/week.

In: Grealish (€50m, £90k) Aouar (€50m, £120k) Ake (€50m, £100k) Edouard (€30m, £50k) Gueye (€6m, £25k) Bogle (€10m, £25k) GK (€5m, £25k) + £50k raise for Auba
    = €201m, ~£485k/week

Grealish - Aubameyang - Pepe
    Saka - Edouard / Martinelli - Nelson

Aouar - Torreira - Willock
    Smith-Rowe - Gueye - Maitland-Niles

Tierney - Aké - Saliba - Bellerin
    Kolasinac - Mari - Luiz / Holding - Bogle

Leno
    GK

Think this is somewhat realistic. I can see Xhaka staying and occupy Willock's spot though. In that case perhaps we can't afford Edouard. Might even have some more funds available to upgrade Gueye to Camavinga / Soumare.

Ideally, I would also replace Kolasinac (he's on high wages and defensively suspect) with a talented player in the mold of Jamal Lewis or another talented player. Perhaps also replace Holding with Ben White if he doesn't show signs of returning to his old level. Seems like I'm already stretching what's realistic though, so perhaps that's too much. Still saving about £25 million/year on wages without the replacement of Kolasinac.

18. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

Out: Laca, Xhaka, Sokratis, Mustafi, Özil, Chambers, Mkhitaryan, Auba, AMN = hope for 180 Million.

In: Grealish (65), Golovin (45), Pape Gueye (6), Arthur Melo (65), Cavani, Marí (4?), Cedric = 185 million.

Grealish ----- Cavani ----- Pepe
    --------- Golovin - Arthur -------
    -------------- Torreira ------------
    Tierney - Luiz - Saliba - Bellerin
    ---------------- Leno --------------

Saka ---- Martinelli ---- Nelson
    ----- Willock -- Guendouzi -----
    ------------- Gueye ---------------
    Kola --- Marí -- Holding - Soares
    ------------ Martinez -------------

19. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

In: Koulibailly, Dacoure, Ceballos, Gueye, Sancho. 250m
    Out: Mustafi, El Nenny, Kolasinac, Sokratis, Xhaka, Özil, Mkhi, Lacazette. 140m

--------------------------Leno-------------------------
    ---‐-------Koulibaly----Salibah/Luiz----------
    --Bellerin------------------------------Tierney--
    ---------------Torreria--Dacoure---------------
    ----Sancho------------------------------Saka-----
    -------------------Pepe-------------------------------
    ------------‐----------Aubameyang

20. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

Unpopular opinion here (I forced to do it)

Sancho is a bit overrated and certainly overpriced (not even close to Pepe tho), but nowadays Grealish and Maddison are better than him and he just slight ahead the ones of Pulisic, CHO, Willian.