• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

qs

Established Member
Anzac said:
How about we put in an offer for Torres in the summer if LFC drop out of the top4?

He'd be great for us but I think you'd be looking at anywhere between £40-£60m for him. Well out of our range.

outlaw_member

Established Member
The sad thing is that Torres would repay every penny we would have to pay for him. If we signed him at 26 years old, in all likelihood he could easily muster near 100 goals by the time Barcelona come calling and he'd still have a significant re-sale value.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
kooldawg said:
If Schalke is having that summer clear out as is being reported then we really should swoop in for Neuer, Just read on BBC that Manchester are interested in him. Shouldn't give fergie the chance to do so.

These Neuer to ManU rumours are really heating up. Schalke are 'only' (heh) asking for 10 million as well.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
It would really take the piss for Wenger to miss out on Neuer, then proceed to have faith in Almunia letting him cost us dearly, then in 2 years time said "I could have signed Neuer"

Illusion

Established Member
£10m for Neuer. At that price it would be ridiculous not to sign him, it would literally make us money unless he gets crocked or ends up absolutely ****.

You just know Wenger will come out with one of those quotes in five years after Neuer has bailed United out in a CL final and won them yet another trophy.. "I could have signed him for £10m five seasons ago".

longrufus

Established Member
Agree that £10m for Neuer is a bargain. Mad not to sign him at that price.

I do like Frey though, in his prime, could keep the no.1 jersey occupied for 5/6 seasons.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Since it looks like we're out for a right back: Davide Santon. One of the most exciting fullbacks I've seen emerge in a long time, and Mourinho doesn't give him any opportunities at Inter. I would gladly give them somewhere around £12 million for him. We'd have a brilliant backup the day Sagna decides to quit then.

longrufus

Established Member
Since we've been linked to 2 different RB's.

Maybe Wenger is looking for a RB who can defend as well as deliver a final ball. Surely not!

TomasCR

Established Member
Depends on if you mean "linked" (with no quotes and sources) or "linked" (which seems to be at least a little bit credible). From what I know, we're talking about the first option so not a big deal. Surely a right back is the last of our worries at the moment?

longrufus

Established Member
I am of the opinion that papers etc will generally know players we are showing an interest in, of course we don't buy every player we show an interest in or scout. Being linked to 2 right backs is a pretty good inclination that we may well be looking to strengthen there.

Who know's, maybe Wenger will finally sell Eboue, maybe he saw how bad Gilbert was in the CC and decided it was time we had some decent cover at RB.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Yeah, it's just a guess based on current rumours. If we really had a bid rejected for Azpilicueta it looks like we're out for a right back though. Bearing in mind that Sagna and Eboue are 26 and that we don't have any promising youngsters coming through on that position I think it's wise to tie someone up. Eboue is more of a winger than a defender today anyway.

TomasCR

Established Member
Longrufus: We are linked with more than 200 players every year (which most of them are linked just because they said they liked the way Arsenal played, loved Wenger or **** like that) and most of these stories are being made up just to increase the interest in reading the papers. I'm of the opinion that about 90% of all the articles are based on no truth and I, personally, believe that when the interest is such a big deal that we're on the verge of signing the player, Wenger will let us know as some of the guys asking him all the sorts of question will be curious enough to ask (Arshavin, Chamakh and many others).

In other words, I would lock all the threads and open them only when there is some obvious evidence that we're linked with them. No point in that otherwise. I'll eat my words if we sign a right back of course, but there is about 0,0001 chance of that happening.

TomasCR

Established Member
What do you mean "says", Klaus? There are no quotes and sources at all and nothing suggests that the story is based on anything reliable that could actually hint that we're really in for the player.

Fair enough, I get it and I like to be involved in transfers speculations, all I'm saying is that I'm not interested in these things until someone, who I think knows something about it, comes out and admits the story is true if there is anything to start with. Would love any quality player to come in though, so don't get me wrong, it's just...nah. :)

longrufus

Established Member
TomasCR said:
Longrufus: We are linked with more than 200 players every year.
I forgot that when we scout the world for new talent and players we like to keep our options limited, and only look at about 10 players a year.

In reality, we have a vast network of scouts who may go and look at a player once, and decide that they are not good. Or they may recommend them for another scout.

Of course journalists are sometimes sensationalist and make up stories, like Yaya Toure every year (which are generally easy to spot) however there is a different type of rumor, like both RB's we have been linked to, they are hardly worth printing, its not as if a jounalist will pick a random name out of a hat and decide we want a new full back all of a sudden.

TomasCR

Established Member
longrufus said:
Its not as if a jounalist will pick a random name out of a hat and decide we want a new full back all of a sudden.
I believe it's exactly like this when they have nothing to write about because, as hard as I'm thinking, we don't need a right back at the moment. It's not that long ago when we were linked with Crouch for ****'s sake and the stories of the two defenders are about as false as the Crouch one. Or, how exactly would you say they managed to link us with Crouch? Yes, they picked a name out of the hat you were talking about, said ooh look - they need a striker, and went for him. Come back when the player himself, his agent or the manager says something, not point in discussing it until then. It's bullshit, most of the stories are bullshit as long as there are no quotes and don't argue with me, I'm always right.

longrufus

Established Member
Get real Tomas, generally to write for a paper you are a reasonably intelligent person. Now, lets pretend your right, and journalists pick names at random to have something to write about. Why (bearing in mind that they are intelligent people) would they suddenly link us to right backs? Why not pick a forward, after all Wenger has openly said that we are looking at forwards, surely this would be the right thing to do if its a quiet day and your making up rumors for a laugh.

I wonder which one would hold more stock or interest if you were to make up a rumour, a juicy story about a forward, or something about an unknown right back...

Arsenal Quotes

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom