• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Transfer Deadline Day 2013/2014 Winter

squallkid

Established Member
Dokaka said:
We've just signed Pablo Armero from Napoli on loan.

Gotta say, we've done well this window. Nocerino, Boriello, Armero all on loan to help us stay up in the short term. We've signed a promising youngster in Razak as well.

Wasn't Armero highly rated not long ago? I know nothing about him really, but he's always been a beast on FM :lol:

Jeez Dok, I read your post without seeing your username and nearly jumped wonder when did we sign all of those players.

regele

Established Member
If it were a good striker that we would be talking about I would have been pissed; but we're already stocked in midfield AND he's just a kid with potential and everything to prove. For 37 million I expect to get an already very good player not just a prospect.

That being said, we failed to fix our glaring problem, the lack of a good striker; so in my opinion our chances of winning the league are very slim.

Cruisio

Established Member
yousif_arsenal said:
If Draxler worth 37M and available this why Mourinho didn't spend that for draxler to replace Mata.

i think the manager think Draxler is still unproven and not worth 37M.

Because they don't need him?

Mata was already deemed surplus to requirements by Chelsea, they didn't need to replace him.

Let's put it in an (admittedly poor) analogy - I go to the shops and see something I feel I really want and really need and find out what price it is, I then go back home and say I need money to buy this thing I really want, I get how much it is. I don't then go back and try and haggle the price down if the money isn't mine :lol:

He either thinks he'll improve our team or he doesn't and if he doesn't then theres no way he can think that the next best option is nothing at all or a massive drop in quality like Kalou, logically that makes no sense what so ever

blaze_of_glory

I'm sure he thinks Ronaldo would improve us, doesn't mean he's willing to pay what it would take to get him. Cost-benefit is a thing.

akhil

DJ_Markstar said:
blaze_of_glory said:
Özil was 42m, don't see how Draxler is only 5m less when he's no where near the player at this point.

Also think of the precedent it would set if we just ponied up that amount of money. Every team would be looking for around that for their young players from now on.

They already are, and that is the fault of Man City/Chelsea. Paying £25m+ for average players like Milner, SWP, etc. ManUre were doing it long before, too. £19m for Anderson? :lol: :lol:

We were willing to pay 12m on Theo in 06, and a similar amount on Ox a couple of seasons ago. This guy's more proven but yeah, no way worth anywhere near the 37m they are asking for him. Prices are inflated as ****, especially when Real paid 100m for one player 5 months ago.

Meh, our wide options for the remainder of the season are gonna be Cazorla, Podolski, Ox, Gnabry, Wilshere, Özil, Ryo I guess. Bendtner's 2nd choice up front.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
If we collapse badly in the second half of the season, it's on Wenger's head.

If Gazidis and Ornstein are to be believed, he had the money to buy quality.

Cruisio

Established Member
blaze_of_glory said:
I'm sure he thinks Ronaldo would improve us, doesn't mean he's willing to pay what it would take to get him. Cost-benefit is a thing.

Come back to me when we're actually linked with signing Ronaldo in any way and it'll be a logical comparison, until then....

mo50

Established Member
Cruisio said:
blaze_of_glory said:

Come back to me when we're actually linked with signing Ronaldo in any way and it'll be a logical comparison, until then....

Well, you just used an analogy of you going to the shop and asking your mother for money. I'd say Ronaldo is a logical comparison relative to yours.

Cruisio

Established Member
mo50 said:
Cruisio said:
blaze_of_glory said:

Well, you just used an analogy of you going to the shop and asking your mother for money. I'd say Ronaldo is a logical comparison relative to yours.

Keep up, I didn't mention a mother at all, you could get the money from anywhere :D

blaze_of_glory

Cruisio said:
blaze_of_glory said:

You implied that if Wenger thinks a player would improve the team then he should pay whatever it takes to get him. I merely pointed out the benefit has to be weighed against the cost. Wenger is in a far better position to make these judgements than anyone on here.

Us being linked to Ronaldo or not doesnt enter into it whether the comparison is logical. Its an example of a player that Wenger would obvioulsy feel would improve the team but almost certainly would not be unwilling to pay what would be required. Simply being able to improve the team is not every going to be the final determination on whether a player is bought or not. The cost vs benefit has to be considered. Wenger clearly doesn't think the cost of Draxler is currently worth his benefit.

Maybe he's wrong but as I said he's far better positioned to make that call, both in terms of experience and access to relevant information, than you or I.

Buhry

Established Member

Johnny_Blaze said:

The next 2 months could turn out pretty brutal. I hope not but it wouldn't suprise me.

Salieri

kopzilla said:
Kallstrom reminds me of the Squillaci signing for some reason...

In what way, shape, or form is this similar to that disastrous 4 year deal that cost us close to £5m + four years of high wages????

He is on loan. We won't choke on him if he fails.

Cruisio

Established Member
That's not actually what I said at all blaze

If i've been given the money I need to buy something I feel I want, why would I not spend it? I get the logic of haggling the price down when I'm confident of my back up options but if i've given myself one day to get it? When my back up options are seemingly nil? What's the point? I even want it or I don't

You've actually agreed with me on that second part, clearly he doesn't think his benefit is worth the cost, I get that (personally I disagree) but he's not an idiot, he knows how much Schalke are going to want for him, he clearly knows he's a good player hence why he's in for him to begin with so why wouldn't the selling club be looking to get as much for him as possible. Isn't that basically what we try and do everytime we sell a player? Yes it is. But seemingly he not only thinks his benefit isn't worth the cost he also thinks no other forward in world football is either, which is ridiculous.

That last part isn't logical for a very simple reason by the way, yeah i'm pretty sure he knows Ronaldo would improve us, but because he knows he'd never come and his value is worth way higher than we'd ever pay he'd never actively try and sign him. Seemingly he's actively tried to sign Draxler so at one stage he was happy to spend big money on him (theres no way he's stupid enough to think he'd get him on the cheap) the sticking point is that if Wenger doesn't get what he deems to be value for money on a player he likes then he'd rather not have him at all.

I'm up for not over spending for players, i'm not up for leaving big gaps in the squad, we needed a forward before Theo got injured, for there to be nobody in world football that he thinks would improve us that he's happy to spend money on is as I keep saying - ridiculous

GDeep™

League is very weak
Johnny_Blaze said:

It's on Wengers head for me as it is, due to lack of movement in the summer. Summer is where the problem lies.

Cruisio

Established Member
Also, let's be clear about this:

If you leave yourself short in the summer and (seemingly) leave it very late in the January window to bring in the kind of player everyone knows you need AND you're known to have a lot of money, then expect to be fully shafted by the selling club no matter who the player is

blaze_of_glory

Crusio: Ok so you are saying that if Wenger is unwilling to pay Shalke's valuation for Draxler then he should be going after someone else?

If that's the case then I see where you are coming from, as I also think we need an attacker. But I think its clear that Wenger only pays for players he think will improve the team (but won't overpay as we've established). So it then becomes a question of whether there is anyone available that would fit that requirement at a price Wenger is willing to pay.

Its kind of hard to see who that would be right now, at least for me. Theres just not many players who would actually improve Arsenal available in the middle of the season at a price that would be worth paying. Kallstrom is a loan so its not really an investment from the club i.e. not much cost there.

I do think Wenger is perhaps too stubborn in his valuation of players, but its got him this far and he usually ends up being justified in his decisions I'd say. There are many players that people have cried out for him to sign who, once they joined other teams, were shown to be pretty underwhelming.But then there are guys like Higuain who I think in hindsight it would have been worth spending on.

Basically I'd love for us to sign a forward but I just understand Wenger's reasoning for not doing so with the players linked to us this window. However I really do think we need to go all out in the summer. Much more likely to have success there as teams are much more willing to sell than in January.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
When you guys try to act like you've had a hard time as fans, you haven't. Look at Leeds - real hardship. So stop crying because you haven't won anything for a while, while you have a great manager and still play at the highest level. And you got to sign Özil.

Be thankful, it's not that bad.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Samuel ‏@samuelj29060
SSN: Newcastle turn down Arsenal loan bid for Papiss Cisse

LOL! We put loan bids every where! make a loan bid for Ben Arfa while you still at it Arsène.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom