• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL Round of 32 1st Leg: Benfica vs Arsenal | Thursday 18th February |20:00 | BT Sport

What do you love more?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Really, that old! By your posts I would have guessed you were born yesterday.

tenor.gif

GoonerJay24

You mad? Auba just scored a hatrick. Need to see if he can build on momentum. Lacazette is one of of his dry spells.

No, not at all actually. This is the period where rotation is required. Laca hasn't scored in recent matches but he's still been performing and links well with those young players behind him. Can't be playing Auba every match given his age also.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
As this is our away game scoring is more important than not conceding.

I hope that Pepe and Martinelli will be used here, if rotation is the name of the game, and Laca as well. Probably a good game for Ødegaard again.

Our only chance of a trophy, it's a long sht but the only one we have. We will almost certainly lose at the weekend so I'd rather we get a good result here even if we lose at the weekend than harvest two narrow defeats.

Melquiades

Why am I seeing some teams on here which are heavily rotated like we’re playing Antwerp in the group stages? This is a EL knock out game vs Benfica, our only chance of a trophy + top 4.

100%

I know most people here generally want to prioritize the league, and fair enough, but the Man City game is basically Guaranteed Loss Night. Man City are on one of the most dominant runs of play in the history of the PL. 11 wins in a row outscoring the opposition 28-2. Undefeated in 15 outscoring the opposition 36-3. Just thrashed Sp**s and Liverpool by a combined 7-1. We aren't winning that game.

The EL will be getting by 4 beatable teams to get to Champions League, and risking this tournament by rotating in a bunch of squaddies to prioritize City would be ridiculous.

We have to play our best 11 in the first game. If we get a big result, we would have some options for rotation in the 2nd leg.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
100%

I know most people here generally want to prioritize the league, and fair enough, but the Man City game is basically Guaranteed Loss Night. Man City are on one of the most dominant runs of play in the history of the PL. 11 wins in a row outscoring the opposition 28-2. Undefeated in 15 outscoring the opposition 36-3. Just thrashed Sp**s and Liverpool by a combined 7-1. We aren't winning that game.

The EL will be getting by 4 beatable teams to get to Champions League, and risking this tournament by rotating in a bunch of squaddies to prioritize City would be ridiculous.

We have to play our best 11 in the first game. If we get a big result, we would have some options for rotation in the 2nd leg.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single person on here say that.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
As a Portuguese side, my pre match analysis is that we can expect joga but question remains if it will be bonito. Leave it all on the field and secure the tie in first match, is my recommendation Cumberbatch

Melquiades

I don’t think I’ve seen a single person on here say that.

That was definitely the take here for the FA Cup matches vs. Southampton and Newcastle.

Also the first page of this thread has most posters putting Mat Ryan in goal and doing things like inserting Chambers for the first time in months. Which is what myself and the poster I responded to were disagreeing with.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Of course this match takes priority over the Citeh game. But a gentle reminder.... Arsenal have won two European trophies in our entire history (the last one in 1994)... the idea we just waltz through this and win it because we want to is simply not realistic.

We are a better team than Benfica and on better form so if we turn up we go through. Some rotation is necessary not to protect the team for the Citeh game but to make sure we are fresh for Benfica.

I see only a few teams that would give us a strong test in this left and on our day we can beat any of them. But it has to be our day so let's hope not that many days are needed.

simba

Manberg Again
What were those 2 European trophies we won equivalent to? Were they like, friendly style tournaments or something?

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
By the time we won the Fairs Cup it was a proper competition with the teams particpating being those who had just failed to win their national leagues. The male was changed to the UEFA Cup in the 70s' but the format (straightforward knockout) retained until the Europa League was created.

The Cup Winners Cup was easier to win because for several reasons:

1) Fewer games - two rounds before the quarter-finals (as opposed to three with the Fairs Cup) and a single final in a neutral venue, as opposed to home and away final in the Fairs Cup.

2) The nature of cup competitions, especially (but not exclusively) in some continental countries where less importance was attached to them meant that when there were surprises in a couple of the bigger football countries, the pool of potential winners was really quite small.

3) It didn't even need a surprise team to win a cup, just get to the final against a team winning the double and that left a slot in the Cup Winners' Cup for a minnow.

4) Fewer teams from the stronger countries ie the 3rd placed team in Italy was likelier to give you a game than the cup winners in Switzerland.

If you look at the winners of both trophies this bears out, we beat Parma in 1995 and, although they largely outplayed us, they were hardly a European powerhouse. By contrast, before beating Anderlecht in the 1970 Fairs Cup, we had to beat Ajax in the semis, who had basically most of the team which, from the following season, went on to win the European Cup three years in a row!

Last edited:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

By the time we won the Fairs Cup it was a proper competition with the teams particpating being those who had just failed to win their national leagues. The male was changed to the UEFA Cup in the 70s' but the format (straightforward knockout) retained until the Europa League was created.

The Cup Winners Cup was easier to win because for several reasons:

1) Fewer games - two rounds before the quarter-finals (as opposed to three with the Fiars Cup) and a single final in a neutral venue, as opposed to home and away final in the Fairs Cup.

2) The nature of cup competitions, especially (but not exclusively) in some continental countries where less importance was attached to them meant that when there were surprises in a couple of the bigger football countries, the pool of potential winners was really quite small.

3) It didn't even need a surprise team to win a cup, just get to the final against a team winning the double and that left a slot in the Cup Winners' Cup for a minnow.

4) Fewer teams from the stronger countries ie the 3rd placed team in Italy was likelier to give you a game than the cup winners in Switzerland.

If you look at the winners of both trophies this bears out, we beat Parma in 1995 and, although they largely outplayed us, they were hardly a European powerhouse. By contrast, before beating Anderlecht in the 1970 Fairs Cup, we had to beat Ajax in the semis, who had basically most of the team which, from the following season, went on to win the European Cup three years in a row!

Excellent post!

The final against Anderlecht was before my time, but we were beyond fortunate against Parma.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Excellent post!

The final against Anderlecht was before my time, but we were beyond fortunate against Parma.
Parma.... there was a reason why fans in the George Graham era started the "1-0 to the Arsenal" chant. Soaked up a lot of pressure and took our chance.

The Fairs Cup is a bit lost in the mists of antiquity but that was (like the early Wenger years) a missed opportunity to become a dominant team. The Fairs Cup win was followed by the Double but in 1972 we lost the FA Cup final and playing Ajax again, this time in the quarter finals of the European Cup, were narrowly beaten over two legs. Then it went pear-shaped, insufficient and bad investment in players, and we had several years of poor football and no trophies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Latest posts

Top Bottom