• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
EE6XF2qW4AAuv0H

Hmmm....
Thank you Mr. Aubemayang for carrying the greasy dude :)

yorch44

No need for comments like this. :mad:
Why, because results and individual efforts are not equal to having a good manager, or not even a way of playing without being indiscriminately shot by every team?

Sorry, but that’s the truth. Without PEA getting goals from nothing we would not have that many wins, so those stats are not related to the manager but more to PEA and even Laca

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Why, because results and individual efforts are not equal to having a good manager, or not even a way of playing without being indiscriminately shot by every team?

Sorry, but that’s the truth. Without PEA getting goals from nothing we would not have that many wins, so those stats are not related to the manager but more to PEA and even Laca

No, not the comment about Aubameyang at all. I've seen peoiple refer to Emery as 'greasy' a few times now and in case you don't know, referring to a latino person as 'greasy' is very offensive so please stick to football and don't get personal.

yorch44

No, not the comment about Aubameyang at all. I've seen peoiple refer to Emery as 'greasy' a few times now and in case you don't know, referring to a latino person as 'greasy' is very offensive so please stick to football and don't get personal.
Lol... I am from Mexico and I don’t give a **** at all... stop being so soft... everyone says Greasy because of that hair!

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Lol... I am from Mexico and I don’t give a **** at all... stop being so soft... everyone says Greasy because of that hair!

Hmmmmmmm... OK...... Going back to your point about Auba, that's ireelaevant. if you are without your key player, of course this will effect your reults/performance. You can't deny he's done OK in his first 50 games. Defnitely room for improvement yes, but he'll come good over the course of the season, just be patient.

Iceman10

Established Member

Very good analysis.

There is an interesting point in there that our pressing game up top misses a lot when Laca is out, so this probably explains a lot of what I've seen with lackadaisical pressing at times. I'm not sure exactly why Auba is able to have energy to play on the wing for 90 minutes but isn't good at pressing when he is CF, but at the same time I've noticed his tracking back hasn't been that great so far this season when he's played out wide. It's not just pressing from up front though, the general tracking back particularly to protect in front of our CB's is poor, could be made worse by going with a diamond in midfield.

As an aside, the discussion in the video is good and constructive, but doesn't really match up with the click-baity headline. Well worth a watch.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

Stats like this are meaningless without context.

Emery's first 50 games were 2 fa cup games, 3 carling cup games, 12 Europa league games and 33 premiership matches.

Of those 32 wins, 9 of them were in the Europa League, a whopping 28%. In fact, 17 of Emery's first 50 matches were in cup competitions. Which are easier than league matches.

On the other hand, only 8 of Wenger's were, with the rest coming in the league.

Should it be counted against Emery that he did well in Europe in his first season whereas Wenger did not? No, but the Europa League journey does skew his stats just a tad.

Emery lost 10 of his first 50 compared to Wenger's 11. Emery also had a full preseason to get to know the players instead of joining up about 3 weeks after the season started.

His win rate in the premier league is almost identical to Wenger's on number of games played. I haven't bothered to look at the full record to see who has more defeats or draws.

But these numbers don't even tell the whole story because numbers alone won't tell you the circumstances under which each manager took up the job or the quality of the squad that they had.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Why did people hype up that Wenger guy, he only won 23 of his first 50 games with 7 managers in front of him. :rofl:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Stats like this are meaningless without context.

Emery's first 50 games were 2 fa cup games, 3 carling cup games, 12 Europa league games and 33 premiership matches.

Of those 32 wins, 9 of them were in the Europa League, a whopping 28%. In fact, 17 of Emery's first 50 matches were in cup competitions. Which are easier than league matches.

On the other hand, only 8 of Wenger's were, with the rest coming in the league.

Should it be counted against Emery that he did well in Europe in his first season whereas Wenger did not? No, but the Europa League journey does skew his stats just a tad.

Emery lost 10 of his first 50 compared to Wenger's 11. Emery also had a full preseason to get to know the players instead of joining up about 3 weeks after the season started.

His win rate in the premier league is almost identical to Wenger's on number of games played. I haven't bothered to look at the full record to see who has more defeats or draws.

But these numbers don't even tell the whole story because numbers alone won't tell you the circumstances under which each manager took up the job or the quality of the squad that they had.
Ok then, let’s instead focus on the ‘shots faced’ and goals conceded stat then; Wenger inherited arguably the best back 5 ever when he joined. I won’t bother explaining the rest.

We could go on and on. It’s best to just accept the win ratio stat for what it is. No need for anyone to be afraid of it. It’s not being held aloft as a trophy. Just another meaningless stat to go with all the other meaningless stats. This time, the meaningless stat makes Emery’s start look quite acceptable.

The problem for those who have a giant hard-on for stats is this: if you can’t stand Emery, this one will make you a bit dizzy.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

People saying he won most of his matches in the Europa League, does that not count then? We beat Napoli, Valencia and Rennes. Pretty decent teams. Two of those teams literally just beat Liverpool and Chelsea this week alone.

I simply posted a image which stated fact. You might not like the style of football but to act like Emery is doing a Moyes level job for example is way over the top. Or to say that his job should be at risk now or in the near future is absolutely ridiculous. Come the end of the season there'll be a review and I personally think it'll be the end of the road for him most likely but people crying for him to be sacked during the season need to get a bit of perspective.

The facts are there, and believe me facts don't care about your feelings or personal agendas.

Another thing, it's funny how everyone was happy to bring up xG for the first 5 league games but no one has brought up the xG for the Frankfurt game. Funny that. The same people who used xG to say how bad we were in those 5 games are still saying we weren't that great vs Frankfurt but the xG seems to suggest we were well better than them. It's quite interesting to observe when this type of stat is pulled out or when it isn't.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
It doesn’t matter that we’re playing shît football, currently conceding the most shots in Europe’s top 5 leagues or that we’ve regressed in every conceivable stat out there. The greasy one won a few games against Vorskla fc, Qarabag and Borisov Automobile and Tractor Electronics Borisov (at home) so he’s fine.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Ok then, let’s instead focus on the ‘shots faced’ and goals conceded stat then; Wenger inherited arguably the best back 5 ever when he joined.
Not that old chestnut. One last time ffs.

If that defence was so good how did it finish as low as 10th and 12th.

Wenger broke up that defence and rebuilt it. Cole had already emerged as our left back, Lauren came in (2000), Sol Campbell (2001), Toure (2002) and Lehmann (2003). The defence that Wenger rebuilt, went on to be part of the record breaking Invincibles.

Under George Graham, our games per goal ratio was 1.14. The same back 4 under Arsène Wenger averaged 1.28 games per goal conceded, better than George Graham’s.

Enough already. You can’t keep spouting that sh!te year after year. It’s a myth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season

Latest posts

Top Bottom